Sports News in NWA

Although I'm a big Razorbacks fan I thought it would be good to have a topic devoted to non-Razorback sports events in NWA. I didn't see one, so ...here one is!

There will be a LPGA tournament at Pinnacle Country Club in Rogers featuring a couple of the big names in women's golf in September. Cristie Kerr, winner of this year's US Open and Natalie Gulbis will both be playing. Stacy Lewis of the University of Arkansas, this year's NCAA champion, will also be participating. The tournament, which will run Sept. 7-9, will have a $1.25 million purse. It is sponsered by John Q. Hammons Hotels and is a great opportunity to showcase what Northwest Arkansas has to offer. Here's a link to the LPGA website about the tournament.LPGA tournament link

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

There has been another big name addition to the LPGA golf tournament to be held at Pinnacle Sept 7-9. Brittany Linicicome has joined the group looking to win part of a $1.25 million purse. She is 9th in winnings this season so far. Look for more big names to join later.

The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are offering 17 game mini-packs for their 2008 season. There's a pick of 4 packages and the games are scattered throughout the season. Looks like the prices are in line with the full season package deals for Premium and Reserved seating and include a 10% discount on Naturals merchandise. Here's link to the press release.

Naturals' Mini Packs

The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are offering 17 game mini-packs for their 2008 season. There's a pick of 4 packages and the games are scattered throughout the season. Looks like the prices are in line with the full season package deals for Premium and Reserved seating and include a 10% discount on Naturals merchandise. Here's link to the press release.

Naturals' Mini Packs

• 3 weeks later...

The Northwest Arkansas Business Journal has a nice article about the economic impact the LPGA tournament at Pinnacle will have. The estimate is for 40,000 to 60,000 attendance and a possible 10- 15 million dollar impact. The free pubilcity and national exposure will be great also. If this event is a success maybe it could lead to PGA event, which would really be a boon for the area.

LPGA article

The Northwest Arkansas Business Journal has a nice article about the economic impact the LPGA tournament at Pinnacle will have. The estimate is for 40,000 to 60,000 attendance and a possible 10- 15 million dollar impact. The free pubilcity and national exposure will be great also. If this event is a success maybe it could lead to PGA event, which would really be a boon for the area.

LPGA article

LPGA article

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious is anyone here thinking about going to the LPGA tournament? 60,000 that they are predicting is pretty impressive. Only the Razorback football games out do that. I'm not going because I really just don't get into golf. But I still hope this is successful and was wondering if anyone was going to go or thinking about it.

I was curious is anyone here thinking about going to the LPGA tournament? 60,000 that they are predicting is pretty impressive. Only the Razorback football games out do that. I'm not going because I really just don't get into golf. But I still hope this is successful and was wondering if anyone was going to go or thinking about it.

I plan on going just to see the spectacle and watch top level professionals play. This is a chance for NWA to show what it has to offer to a national auidence. The tournament will be shown on the Golf Channel Friday thorugh Sunday. There is a discussion in another topic about how to present NWA to the world. This tournament can do more good than any video if it is successful.

• 2 months later...
Yeah it does seem a bit odd. But until the last couple of decades I think other parts of the state dominated football. But even up here seemed like Springdale was the place to go for high school football. I think it's going to be hard to beat Har-Ber though, they're a pretty good team. But at least the title will be here in NWA.

Archived