Sports News in NWA

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The club is all amateur players with probably many having less than 2 years of exposure to the game. If you wanted to you could go join up and play. All you need is courage! I've practiced some with the Little Rock RFC but I consider myself too small and bit on the old side to actually play matches. Rugby Unions usually are VERY well organized. They play two seasons per year: spring/winter and fall with some clubs playing 7's during the summer months. There are several different skill divisions of play in the US. Despite being all amateur players, clubs are usually very well run and professional looking and the level of competition is fierce at all divisions. Once they start up again, go check them out. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed! BTW, most rugby clubs are very friendly and treat their fans well...there's ALWAYS a big party after every match, it's long standing tradition.

If you've been over to the Arkansas Coffee House subforum you may have noticed my post on the Irish Gaelic sports club I'm running in the Little Rock area. Well, I have been contacted by an experienced Gaelic football player in the NWA area who would like to get something going up there. Gaelic football is one of the national sports of Ireland. It's a fast-paced catch and carry football game that vaguely resembles a cross between basketball and soccer. It is non-tackle but hockey style checking is allowed. It's a fabulous sport for the soccer or basketball player looking for more contact or the football or rugby player looking for less. Our Little Rock club has videos explaining the game posted on our website at http://littlerock.arkansas.gaa.ie/gaelicfootball.html. If any of you are looking for something to do in 2008, send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up with our new NWA GAA lead!

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness..........just saw a segment on KHOG Sports Final about the Northwest Arkansas Naturals new mascot. This thing is sure to scare little children and adults alike. :lol: Actually it's pretty cute and sure to get a lot of attention . Here's an image but it doesn't completely convey what the actual mascot looks like- it is SCARY and HAIRY!

chWdE7zw.jpg

Oh my goodness..........just saw a segment on KHOG Sports Final about the Northwest Arkansas Naturals new mascot. This thing is sure to scare little children and adults alike. :lol: Actually it's pretty cute and sure to get a lot of attention . Here's an image but it doesn't completely convey what the actual mascot looks like- it is SCARY and HAIRY!

chWdE7zw.jpg

I think it's the creature from Boggy Creek in south Arkansas. I guess they're trying to keep inline with anything Arkansas for the "Naturals."

[EDIT] I just checked the Nats website and the mascot is the legendary Arkansas "Ozark Howler" who is presumed to be a sasquatch that has lived in the Ozarks for quite some time. :thumbsup:

chWdE7zw.jpg

• 2 months later...

NWA Gaelic football will be holding it's first practice this Sunday, 3/30 at Asbell Elementary at 1:00PM. We need plenty of players so if you know of anyone looking for something new to try tell them about this! It's a moderate contact sport that's one heck of a workout. http://nwa.northamerican.gaa.ie. Anyone is welcome to come out and check it out even if you just want to watch.

I think it's the creature from Boggy Creek in south Arkansas. I guess they're trying to keep inline with anything Arkansas for the "Naturals."

[EDIT] I just checked the Nats website and the mascot is the legendary Arkansas "Ozark Howler" who is presumed to be a sasquatch that has lived in the Ozarks for quite some time. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well after winning their first game the Naturals have now lost three in a row. Perhaps the silver lining though is that they've still yet to play at home and ironically are tied for first in the division. The South Divisions has dominated so far. For that matter the South has won the Texas League title the last 6 years. I think the Travelers may be the only team in the North Division to have won it since the late 90's.

I guess for me the Nats don't even have to win a game for me to be a fan. All I expect from the Nats is that they play well and interact with the fans. They should have a 'winning isn't everything' attitude and they should promote that attitude to fans especially the kids.

Well after winning their first game the Naturals have now lost three in a row. Perhaps the silver lining though is that they've still yet to play at home and ironically are tied for first in the division. The South Divisions has dominated so far. For that matter the South has won the Texas League title the last 6 years. I think the Travelers may be the only team in the North Division to have won it since the late 90's.

I guess for me the Nats don't even have to win a game for me to be a fan. All I expect from the Nats is that they play well and interact with the fans. They should have a 'winning isn't everything' attitude and they should promote that attitude to fans especially the kids.

Hey Gang

We're desperately looking for people interested in trying out Irish football in NWA. We have about 4 people and that's all at this point. It's a fast paced game, lots of running and very athletic. It's very nice departure from soccer in that there's a lot more offense and some mild contact. The group is obviously very casual with everyone being a beginner. The coach has 6 years of experience playing Aussie rules in addition to his background in Irish sports. Aside from the group down in LR there isn't much competitive play going on in our part of the country so it's a very casual environment. It's totally free so if you know anyone who's looking for a good but casual avenue for a workout pass this along. The group's website is http://nwa.northamerican.gaa.ie.

• 1 month later...
Hey Gang

We're desperately looking for people interested in trying out Irish football in NWA. We have about 4 people and that's all at this point. It's a fast paced game, lots of running and very athletic. It's very nice departure from soccer in that there's a lot more offense and some mild contact. The group is obviously very casual with everyone being a beginner. The coach has 6 years of experience playing Aussie rules in addition to his background in Irish sports. Aside from the group down in LR there isn't much competitive play going on in our part of the country so it's a very casual environment. It's totally free so if you know anyone who's looking for a good but casual avenue for a workout pass this along. The group's website is http://nwa.northamerican.gaa.ie.

First actual Gaelic football game will be this Saturday at Walker Park in Fayetteville at 2:00PM. Little Rock is coming up to play against the NWA guys. We'll have a clinic starting at 1PM for anyone who might be interested in learning to play as well for people who want to watch.

• 2 months later...

Looks like our area is losing the Real Deal on the Hill Tournament. It's one of the biggest summer basketball tournaments. It's become a victim of it's own success. Apparently earlier this year 268 teams participated but there was another 281 teams on the waiting list. There just aren't enough courts around to add any more teams. But it also sounds like gas prices and transportation was also a factor. Apparently a lot of the teams were coming into the state via Little Rock. It was just getting too expensive to transport players from Little Rock to NWA. It's a real shame we're going to lose this tournament. But it does appear that it will be staying in state and moving down to Little Rock. I hadn't realized it but it sounds like the organizer is actually living in Little Rock not up here.

Just thought I'd throw out some info about the Naturals. If you keep up with them then you already know they won the North Division for the second half of the season. Now they'll play the Arkansas Travelers, who someone managed to squeak out the title in the first half. The series was supposed to start tomorrow but seems unlikely with the remnants of Gustav in the area. Some other news about the Naturals. Apparently total attendance was around 360,000 with an average of 5,200 a game. Not sure what they had been anticipating before the season started, but doesn't sound bad. It was certainly better than attendance at Wichita.

• 4 months later...

Fayetteville High School's basketball teams are having outstanding seasons. The Bulldogs are now 16-0 and are nationally ranked. The Lady Bulldogs are 17-0 and ranked 14th in one national poll. Because of the sheer number of high school teams eligible to be ranked it is a huge accomplishment for both teams to be ranked. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season turns out.

Fayetteville High School's basketball teams are having outstanding seasons. The Bulldogs are now 16-0 and are nationally ranked. The Lady Bulldogs are 17-0 and ranked 14th in one national poll. Because of the sheer number of high school teams eligible to be ranked it is a huge accomplishment for both teams to be ranked. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season turns out.

Archived