Concord Park

vicupstate

I thought this project deserved it's own thread given it size and also the significant affordable housing component.

Here, the sales price has been set and the proposal will soon hit City Council for approval.

$16 million price tag set for Concord Park project. City Council to vote soon.

I wonder how the city will spend that $16mm. Perhaps to buy the Super Sofa site, the Long Savannah park site, additional affordable housing??

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always count on Charleston to put forth the best urban projects in the state. Hotels, housing, retail, office... this quite literally has it all.

The development agreement would allow:

163 market-rate residential units,

60 affordable residential units (67.5% or less of market rates)

Two 50-room hotels, or one 100 room hotel

16,600 square feet of retail space

25,000 square feet of office space

The article doesn't mention it, but it looks like there will also be a park in this development.

You can always count on Charleston to put forth the best urban projects in the state. Hotels, housing, retail, office... this quite literally has it all.

The development agreement would allow:

163 market-rate residential units,

60 affordable residential units (67.5% or less of market rates)

Two 50-room hotels, or one 100 room hotel

16,600 square feet of retail space

25,000 square feet of office space

The article doesn't mention it, but it looks like there will also be a park in this development.

Yes, there is acreage that the city is retaining that will be a park. It actually will be placed in-between the components of the private projects.

Thats true about Daniel Island. But in downtown Charleston on the site of a former housing project, I'd think people would be more understanding of the need for affordable housing.

That is not 100% accurate. There are developments in progress for affordable housing on Daniel island. in fact, there are apartments in the business district that have just opened for those of low to moderate incomes. The only catch is that you have to go through alot of red tape to get in, but I guess that is not bad considering the fact that you don't want to bring in the wrong element, such as those who don't care to work or develop any type of comradarie with neighbors. All-in-all, the afforable housing plan that is being instituted in Charleston is a model from other areas that have had success.

I remember the Canalside project in Columbia eliminated affordable housing, but I don't remember that occurring in Charleston. Daniel Island's affordable housing has been in the news recently, and that may be what you are thinking of. As Randy states, it is still in place but perhaps reconfigured or reduced.

Charleston has done many affordable project in DT, so it shouldn't run into the D.I. foot-dragging.

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Island residents do exude that attitude, but Ansonborough residents have not supported this Concord Park project very well, putting up more of a protest that DI people with affordable housing. I remember when I moved back to Chas in 2001, a petition was brought around the MUSC Wellness Center, where I was working, to make the field a permanent park with no development. The petition was passed throughout the downtown area. The city made a good call, stating that leaving the field as just a park would not fill the dead space that exists between the tourist areas around East Bay St and the Aquarium Wharf.

Concord Park, while it does "connect" and fill the dead space, is still a small-time development, and it should be just a little larger than planned. From what Spartan listed, here are my proposed changes:

- 163 market-rate residential units -- Should be 200 units

- 60 affordable residential units (67.5% or less of market rates) -- Should be 120-150 units

- Two 50-room hotels, or one 100 room hotel -- Hotel should be at least 100-150 rooms

- 16,600 square feet of retail space -- This is my biggest problem. Retail space for restaurants and shops needs to be closer to 100,000 square feet.

- 25,000 square feet of office space -- This needs to be doubled.

The footprint of this project is massive, but as usual, the city doesn't think a development more than 4-5 stories is good. Nevermind that the city's tallest building, Dockside Condos, is right across the street from this project, and sticks out like a sore thumb with no density around it and the most prominent structure near it is a terminal crane. IMO, the project should be allowed to be taller in some areas (7-10 stories, max) such as near the aquarium , parking garage, and Dockside, while it has a lower profile near East Bay St and the historical residential areas.

Daniel Island residents do exude that attitude, but Ansonborough residents have not supported this Concord Park project very well, putting up more of a protest that DI people with affordable housing. I remember when I moved back to Chas in 2001, a petition was brought around the MUSC Wellness Center, where I was working, to make the field a permanent park with no development. The petition was passed throughout the downtown area. The city made a good call, stating that leaving the field as just a park would not fill the dead space that exists between the tourist areas around East Bay St and the Aquarium Wharf.

Concord Park, while it does "connect" and fill the dead space, is still a small-time development, and it should be just a little larger than planned. From what Spartan listed, here are my proposed changes:

- 60 affordable residential units (67.5% or less of market rates) -- Should be 120-150 units

- Two 50-room hotels, or one 100 room hotel -- Hotel should be at least 100-150 rooms

- 16,600 square feet of retail space -- This is my biggest problem. Retail space for restaurants and shops needs to be closer to 100,000 square feet.

- 25,000 square feet of office space -- This needs to be doubled.

The footprint of this project is massive, but as usual, the city doesn't think a development more than 4-5 stories is good. Nevermind that the city's tallest building, Dockside Condos, is right across the street from this project, and sticks out like a sore thumb with no density around it and the most prominent structure near it is a terminal crane. IMO, the project should be allowed to be taller in some areas (7-10 stories, max) such as near the aquarium , parking garage, and Dockside, while it has a lower profile near East Bay St and the historical residential areas.

CN, your suggestions sound solid. I especially agree with the height change, although I would put the limit at 8 floors.

I just wish this could be a LANDMARK building, instead of the unobtrusive (read: thoroughly bland) building that pass muster in Charleston these days. The proliferation of nondescript buildings is frustrating--maybe the Committe to Save the City will jump on this project? (Hope so!) Imagine a monumental, classical building as seen from the harbor!

BTW, I thought the African-American Museum was supposed to be built on that space?

No way in the world would they ever go for affordable housing comprising such a substantial chunk of the total units.

^ No, no...you misunderstand. I propose 200 market rate units, and in addition, they should build 120-150 affordable housing units. The majority of housing units would still be market rate. What constitutes as affordable housing is also relative to a project like this, anyway. The affordable condos would still be around $80K-100K, good enough for firefighters, teachers, and police officers, maybe even some military personnel.

Indeed, dig, this building should be a downtown landmark, accenting the skyline that is already punctuated with the nearby Dockside Condos. This project, while it sounded promising, appears to be a mere piddly boutique place, nothing major. One can only imagine if there were 100,000 square feet for restaurants...this could be the perfect place for a Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, and a PF Chang's. Sadly, Concord Park will provide nothing spectacular or noteworthy, unless a local restaurant really makes a big reputation. The AA-museum is not planned to be built on this site. It will be constructed on a parcel of land across Calhoun Street from this project, next to the Aquarium Wharf parking garage.

^ No, no...you misunderstand. I propose 200 market rate units, and in addition, they should build 120-150 affordable housing units. The majority of housing units would still be market rate. What constitutes as affordable housing is also relative to a project like this, anyway. The affordable condos would still be around $80K-100K, good enough for firefighters, teachers, and police officers, maybe even some military personnel.

Indeed, dig, this building should be a downtown landmark, accenting the skyline that is already punctuated with the nearby Dockside Condos. This project, while it sounded promising, appears to be a mere piddly boutique place, nothing major. One can only imagine if there were 100,000 square feet for restaurants...this could be the perfect place for a Ruth Chris' Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, and a PF Chang's. Sadly, Concord Park will provide nothing spectacular or noteworthy, unless a local restaurant really makes a big reputation. The AA-museum is not planned to be built on this site. It will be constructed on a parcel of land across Calhoun Street from this project, next to the Aquarium Wharf parking garage.

I feel certain that even the 'affordable' will be well above 100k. You can't build anything new for that price these days. Even subsidized, the builder would lose money. Dockside is an eyesore in my opinion, and I would love to see it gone. As for a 8-10 story building at Concord Park, that create a 'wall' that would block the views from the Harbor and the Ravenel Bridge, of the church steeples and other historic structures. That is the whole point of the height restrictions. Mid and High rises in the King Street corridor would be more acceptable than ones by the water.

BTW, MOST people would rather eat at a LOCAL restaurant than a NATIONAL chain. While I like those restaurants you mentioned, I can eat at one of those in a hundred different cities. How about having something with LOCAL flavor and flair? I prefer an experience that I can ONLY get by visiting THAT city. A place where the owner isn't a few thousand stockholders, but is in the kitchen.

I assure you, when this project is complete, it will be noteworthy. I fully expect to see it mentioned in travel magazines, Southern Living, general circulatio newspapers, new urbanism publications, or some combination of thoses. After all, just about all of Charleston's major projects are (the Acquarium, The County Courthouse renovations, the Visitor's center, King Street, Charleston Place, the Music Farm, etc. )

Native, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but age has taught me that the quality of urban life is more than just how tall a few buildings are, or 'keeping up with the Jones' on national franchises. I remind me of the guy that dates the hot girl in the school, and thinks she's a dog.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

A proposed four-story commercial building that looks like it will be the first of this development is on the BAR's next agenda. Check out renderings starting at page 19. Looks like it will certainly be a quality building developed by Holder Properties, which has already done work in Charleston as well as Columbia.

A proposed four-story commercial building that looks like it will be the first of this development is on the BAR's next agenda. Check out renderings starting at page 19. Looks like it will certainly be a quality building developed by Holder Properties, which has already done work in Charleston as well as Columbia.

I thought this was going to be a five-story building.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest changes to the Concord Park redevelopment plan would put the Humanities Foundation in charge of developing the site's affordable housing, in the form of an apartment building for senior citizens with modest incomes. The plan always has called for some amount of affordable housing, in addition to offices, residences, and hotel; however, the plan has changed several times, from the originally agreed-upon condo and apartment units for anyone who met income limits, to what could now be a standalone building of affordable age-restricted apartments for seniors.

• 3 months later...

Plans will be reviewed at the BAR's May 25th meeting for a new 5 floor mixed-use development. The development will include a hotel but I can't determime what other uses are being proposed. From the exterior architectural drawings, it's really a 6 floor building but maybe the ground floor isn't counted since it's primarily a parking deck. It would be great to have a hotel in this area.

The elevation drawings start on page 113 (PDF document - BAR meeting agenda 5/25/11)

http://www.charlestoncity.info/shared/docs/0/image%20overview%205.25.11.pdf

• 8 months later...

"New condominium projects have been scarce in Charleston in the wake of the housing market meltdown, but a plan to develop 49 units that would sell for nearly $800 per square foot -- that's $800,000 for a 1,000-square-foot home -- received final approval from the city's Board of Architectural Review last week.

CALHOUN_AND_CONCORD_t600.JPG

A rendering of the hotel and condominium planned for the east end of Calhoun Street by a group led by local developer Wally Seinsheimer. An office building recently opened at the Concord Park site.

The building planned at the corner of Calhoun and Concord streets near the S.C. Aquarium would also include a high-end 70-room hotel, a restaurant, spa and shops. Pre-sales could begin in a few months.

The project is part of the Concord Park redevelopment plan."

http://www.postandco...-gets-approval/

Archived