Will you stop drinking Bottled Water

monsoon

Will you stop drinking bottled water to save the environment?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Will you stop drinking bottled water to save the environment?

• Yes - This is news to me
    • No - I don't believe it and/or I don't care.
    • I don't drink bottled water

Saw a billboard for Diet Coke the other day that reminded me of this thread. Something along the lines of Diet Coke: 99% water, 1% greatness. Which brings me back to the topic of the thread. Seems there is is all this backlash against bottled water, but what about soft drinks that are in plastic bottles. They use the same plastic and use water as their key ingredient as well.

And not only does it waste our resources it is also a waste for your body as they add nothing good in terms of nutrients. At least with bottled water you are giving your body something it can use 100%.

Sodas are no doubt the worst of the two. It pains me to look in trashcans when I go places only to see so many soda bottles and cans taking up space when they could be at least recycled.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw a billboard for Diet Coke the other day that reminded me of this thread. Something along the lines of Diet Coke: 99% water, 1% greatness. Which brings me back to the topic of the thread. Seems there is is all this backlash against bottled water, but what about soft drinks that are in plastic bottles. They use the same plastic and use water as their key ingredient as well.

• 4 months later...

We used to collect water bottles at school and the grade with the most bottles win. We get money in exchange for the bottles and we, in turn, use the money to help in environmental programs and buying garbage cans for our schools. We are trying to help in our own little ways, but if only some are doing their share, then we could really be encountering real problems. :mellow:

• 5 weeks later...
ding! ding! ding!

that's what i do. i don't like tap, but don't like bottles. I have a Britta filter in my fridge, and i just fill a plastic Nalgen bottle every day before i leave for work.

It taste great, and it's not as bad for the environment. now, if i could just find a way to recycle those plastic/coal britta filters i trash every 3-4 months.

• 4 weeks later...

We quit drinking bottled water, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the environment...we were just tired of buying the stuff. Instead, we got a water softener which got rid of the funny smell our water had, and has the side benefit of not hardening up the soil with all the sodium, is clearer and tastes better, and we get less water spots on dishes, shower doors, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an article in the Tennessean that it was not wise to refill bottles made from plastic 1 and 3. I guess the concern was that chemicals leak from the plastic through small cracks. I guess I will have to find a better bottle to refill. Probably going to die from it now. :sick:

I saw an article in the Tennessean that it was not wise to refill bottles made from plastic 1 and 3. I guess the concern was that chemicals leak from the plastic through small cracks. I guess I will have to find a better bottle to refill. Probably going to die from it now. :sick:

I've never considered it a very good idea to refill the same container over and over. The exception to this is if you have a Nalgene bottle or some other similar bottle that can be put in the dishwasher or handwashed.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't go out on a limb to buy bottled water, but I prefer it over tap water. Or the water that comes out of the fountains at my school. I just like the conveniences of bottled water I suppose. And I also lose my water bottles..so next best thing.. bottled water...

two words...bubba keg. haha. I have one of those 72 ounce ones that i take to work with me everyday. fill it with ice and filtered water through my refrigerator. keeps the water cold the whole day (and in some of the really hot places i have to go, that's quite impressive). i only get bottled water when i'm out of water in my jug and i'm on a delivery somewhere. my last job had an unlimited supply of bottled water and i probably drank 6 or 7 bottles a day. i try to stick with filtered tap water whenever possible. cheaper and tastes better.

The only time I use bottled water is when I have too, such as a hurricane situation, severe drought or I'm in a place where I don't trust the water, such as Mexico or other developing country. Other than that, I have a filter on the tap and have considered investing in a reverse-osmosis system for my home.

• 2 months later...

Don't drink a lot of it. We do keep several 1 gallon bottles around in case of emergency, and we do use this in our hot water pot (less crud build up) but a gallon bottle lasts a long time so we're not going through a lot. We do have a tap-filter (just the really small Water-Pik screw-on type), but more minerals get by it than are what we find in the bottled water.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I also am a huge fan of the PUR filter attached to my kitchen tap. As another alternative, has anyone else seen or tried "BOXED WATER" yet? I think it's awesome - and doesn't taste weird either.

I've never seen or heard of boxed water. :dontknow:

I just take a Nalgene bottle and fill it up with water from my fridge that runs through the filter. I can't tell a difference between it and the Deer Park stuff I was addicted to before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What do you guys think of Penta Water's claims to have created the world's most pure water? www.pentawater.com -- they say they have a 13 hour 11 step process or something that's free of trace pharamaceuticals, bisphenol A, chlorine, arsenic, MTBE, chromium 6 and flouride.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived