Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AlexPKeaton

Fire on Michigan Street

21 posts in this topic

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet. There was a fire in that yellow wooden building between a couple of the new developments on Michigan Street. Somebody might want to get some photos or something.

I'm a little surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet. There was a fire in that yellow wooden building between a couple of the new developments on Michigan Street. Somebody might want to get some photos or something.

Was this the building the new ice cream shop is in?

Joe

No, it's the yellow building on the north side of the street.

Speaking of the new ice cream place, I checked it out on Saturday for the first time and it's really great. I guess they make the ice cream themselves right there and everything.

We drove by yesterday and I was surprised to see it. They had put out the fire, the south east corner of the second floor was a complete loss. It looked as if it was very quick burning based on the limited debris compared to the area burned.

th_IMAGE_003.jpg

These were taken with my camera phone, but they're better than nothing. I threw together a quick slide show... don't have time to post all of the photos individually.

Looks like you were the first responder.

Like the bike factory, it's hard to see buildings that stood for so long go up in flames. What this building slated for redevelopment? It looks like it was a solid structure.

After tearing all the electrical out of my own 100+ year old structure, I am actually SHOCKED that we still have any old buildings not lost to fire...

:offtopic: After the activity on Michigan Street, later that night, around 9 PM, I was walking to Moxie's for some after-dinner icer cream and noticed about five GRPD cars at a house on Grand St. and Crescent (approx.). People were out of their houses/apartments watching this unfold. I decided to take a gander and noticed 5 GRPD officers lined up against the house (yellow? on the East side of the Street) with chotguns drawn. At that point I decided to head to frozen milk bliss, assuming all would be back to normal upon my return. On my walk back home, more people were watching (with lawn chairs and coolers) and the GRPD cars were still there. It gave the neighborhood almost a block party feel. An intersting Sunday in Midtown.

PS does anybody know what this "raid" was about?

I hope you called 911 before starting to take pictures! <_<

:offtopic: After the activity on Michigan Street, later that night, around 9 PM, I was walking to Moxie's for some after-dinner ice cream and noticed about five GRPD cars at a house on Grand St. and Crescent (approx.). People were out of their houses/apartments watching this unfold. I decided to take a gander and noticed 5 GRPD officers lined up against the house (yellow? on the East side of the Street) with shotguns drawn. At that point I decided to head to frozen milk bliss, assuming all would be back to normal upon my return. On my walk back home, more people were watching (with lawn chairs and coolers) and the GRPD cars were still there. It gave the neighborhood almost a block party feel. An intersting Sunday in Midtown.

PS does anybody know what this "raid" was about?

Awe, that's sad. :( Let us know if it can be saved!

On top of the fire damage, it's now got a lot of water damage too. I'm guessing whenever something does happen to the property, it'll be demo. But I'm no expert in these matters.

I've seen student housing have whole second floors burned entirely and they've just ripped off the burnt lumber and re framed it over. I guess it could be saved if the owners really want to.

thats actually recoverable, and its not in terrible shape, I've seen houses recover from worse, but then again the rebuilds are more expensive then the demos :(