Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lmichigan

Packard site for sale

4 posts in this topic

FINALLY. It will be interested to see if it is all demolished or partially renovated. My gut tells me that it will probably all be demolished given its location and the soft housing and office market.

Packard site for sale

The 38-acre Packard Motor Car Co. site on East Grand Boulevard in Detroit is finally up for sale after a decade of court battles, said David Wax, senior associate at Farmington Hills-based Burger Easton & Co.

The city of Detroit tried to foreclose on the property in 1999 but got caught up in a decade-long court battle against Oppmac Inc., a Bloomfield-Hills company that claimed it had a $1.7 million mortgage with interest and penalties owing on the property.

Well, to me it was one of those things that was always just THERE. This news article doesn't excite me one bit..at all. It will either continue to sit around forever, or have the unfortunate fate of being demolished (which is a shame I guess)

That's the thing, though, it doesn't just need to be there. Now, it is for the market to decide. As much as I'm for the reuse of buildings whenever possible, something needs to be done with the building and site, and this offers a better oppotunity than ever for that to happen. In a perfect world, development would have spread up the edges of the old city, by now, making a project like this viable.

My money's on "continue to sit around forever." I can't even imagine how much it would cost to clean up that site.