People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Now, after acutally reading the article :P , I am speechless. I could sit here and dissect every paragraph due to the flattering info being displayed to the world (literally)! The NYtimes is never known, in my opinion, to utilize hyperbole, which is why this is so cool. I am really proud to be a Grand Rapidian!

By the way, the museum isnt open yet :lol: .

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/realesta...nted=1&_r=1

This came out in the NY Times Real Estate section today.

That's a very nice article. Not to pick nits or anything, but did you notice that every name they drop (Detroit, MSU, University of Kentucky, San Diego) is hyperlinked in that story. The only place not hyperlinked... Grand Rapids. Doh! :blink:

(however it is listed down at the bottom of the page if you scroll down far enough to the "Related Searches" section)

Now, after acutally reading the article :P , I am speechless. I could sit here and dissect every paragraph due to the flattering info being displayed to the world (literally)! The NYtimes is never known, in my opinion, to utilize hyperbole, which is why this is so cool. I am really proud to be a Grand Rapidian!

By the way, the museum isnt open yet :lol: .

And that picture on the first page is not MSU's Med School. :lol:

Other than that it's perfect! :yahoo:

(I merged the posts into this thread)

Thinking about this, it couldn't have appeared in a better section of the NY Times (Real Estate section). Think about who might be perusing the real estate section: buyers in NY looking for apartments/condos, real estate investors, etc..

They see this article, do a little Grand Rapids research and see the low cost of housing, bingo. Or they do some google searching and...

Grand Rapids Health Hill - google

Grand Rapids development - google

Downtown Grand Rapids condominiums - google

I see UrbanPlanet a few times in the first of second pages. :whistling:

Note to self: time to update the Downtown Development Updates thread.

Nice :thumbsup: According to the NYT this article is also the number 3 emailed real estate article.

As a matter of clarification what do we call this humongous development on Michigan St.? I know the architects of the Michigan St. concept are more proponent of Medical Mile -- I am too. It seems people of the press call it Health Hill or Pill Hill, but what sells the development the most? "Medical Mile" sounds more entrepreneurial.

EDIT: Looks like Wood caught wind of this. http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6774351 -- Again its not Michigan Ave. Avenues run north and south here... I'd be embarrassed to let that slip, -- Avenue... :lol:

Edited by Rizzo

Nice :thumbsup: According to the NYT this article is also the number 3 emailed real estate article.

As a matter of clarification what do we call this humongous development on Michigan St.? I know the architects of the Michigan St. concept are more proponent of Medical Mile -- I am too. It seems people of the press call it Health Hill or Pill Hill, but what sells the development the most? "Medical Mile" sounds more entrepreneurial.

EDIT: Looks like Wood caught wind of this. http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6774351 -- Again its not Michigan Ave. Avenues run north and south here... I'd be embarrassed to let that slip, -- Avenue... :lol:

I agree Rizzo, i would love to see the area designated as the medical mile. Health hill is ok but a little bland. Pill Hill just sounds backwoods to me.

A few thoughts:

1) As someone that moved here from Southeast Michigan for a job I am very happy with everything out here. You would think you were in another state out here. Everyone in general is more upbeat out here especially the professionals. I moved from working in Ann Arbor at a hospital to one here and I am very proud of my institution.

2) As a fairly recent college graduate (2002) it has been very hard finding work in general the past few years but this side of the state is a lot better and has hope.

3) As a graduate student, my opportunities out in GR are way better than elsewhere. My parents were very surprised at the growth out here when they visited.

4) I wish someone had a rendering of GR with all these proposed buildings built because it would be pretty cool.

Edited by mifunboy

It might be in the interests of the "powers-that-be" to work on a addy package that address this discrepancy. I'm sure some people are scoffing at this topic, but it may be crucial to form a name and image. I do know it is preferred name, but if your also in the business of attracting talent and investment you want to sell yourself, correct? If I were a small bio-tech business on the hill I'd want the prestige of a Medical Mile address, rather than just another building on Michigan St. or The Hill.

What about an honrory name for Michigan St.?

Biotech Firm XYZ

555 Medical Mile

Grand Rapids, MI. 49503

It might be in the interests of the "powers-that-be" to work on a addy package that address this discrepancy. I'm sure some people are scoffing at this topic, but it may be crucial to form a name and image. I do know it is preferred name, but if your also in the business of attracting talent and investment you want to sell yourself, correct? If I were a small bio-tech business on the hill I'd want the prestige of a Medical Mile address, rather than just another building on Michigan St. or The Hill.

Biotech Firm XYZ

555 Medical Mile

Grand Rapids, MI. 49503

KIAS!

I like the idea. Grand Rapids needs a branding strategy. I do think medical mile is a little boring. It's like they just copied Michigan Ave. in Chicago.

Joe

Biotech Firm XYZ

555 Medical Mile

Grand Rapids, MI. 49503

Biotech Firm XYZ

555 Medical Mile

Grand Rapids, MI. 49503

I am a big fan of Medical Mile vs the others and even the Honorary name is fine but using it in the address (aka renaming Michigan Street) sounds a bit too suburban office park -ish. Plus, how would we deal with spaces located off of "Medical Mile" I think the VAI does not have a Michigan Street address. I guess we could be like Atlanta and name everything Peachtree.

RE: the article...maybe now we'll finally get Trump to come here so he can develop the world's greatest medical building...

DJL

A few thoughts:

1) As someone that moved here from Southeast Michigan for a job I am very happy with everything out here. You would think you were in another state out here. Everyone in general is more upbeat out here especially the professionals. I moved from working in Ann Arbor at a hospital to one here and I am very proud of my institution.

FB, you and I should collaborate on a GR cheer squad/pep team. (I moved here from Westland-Dearborn-Ypsi-Farmington almost exactly three years ago.)

A few thoughts:

2) As a fairly recent college graduate (2002) it has been very hard finding work in general the past few years but this side of the state is a lot better and has hope.

3) As a graduate student, my opportunities out in GR are way better than elsewhere. My parents were very surprised at the growth out here when they visited.

4) I wish someone had a rendering of GR with all these proposed buildings built because it would be pretty cool.

That's cool mifunboy. It's interesting that you repeatedly use the term "out here" (?). Away from the Detroit Mother Ship? :)