People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

The National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo have put together an index of the most and least affordable metro areas. The index was created by calculating what percentage of a city's residents making the median income can afford a house in that city. In order to qualify, each metro area had to have over 500,000 people. GR makes the top 10 most affordable cities. If you get rid of the 500k requirement, Lansing/East Lansing is the most affordable metro area in the country!

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds of a national talk show host, Dave Ramsey, when he spoke of customer service nationwide. He pointed out that in Grand Rapids you get treated like you are in a 5 star restraunt even though you may be in a Denny's. Thats one thing I am always admiring about Grand Rapids. Also I must say that I know a lot people complain about the DeVos, Van Andel, Meijer, and Sechias of the area that keep on naming buildings. I respond always that at least they are GIVING back to the area. They could just hoard the money do nothing but spend it on non sense items. Its the groups that they donate that hand out the names. I know that Meijer requested his name placed on a trail but when he spent that amount that would cover the majority of the cost I see no issue, plus he does have some marketing aspect to consider.

That reminds of a national talk show host, Dave Ramsey, when he spoke of customer service nationwide. He pointed out that in Grand Rapids you get treated like you are in a 5 star restraunt even though you may be in a Denny's. Thats one thing I am always admiring about Grand Rapids.

I, consistently, have exactly the opposite experiences in my travels.

I do not think you understood what Dave said. Is that in Grand Rapids we treat each other with a lot of respect and expect it at the same time. You go outside and he feels its not as good as in Grand Rapids.

I don't believe that to be the case.

I do not think you understood what Dave said. Is that in Grand Rapids we treat each other with a lot of respect and expect it at the same time. You go outside and he feels its not as good as in Grand Rapids.

I've had out-of-state visitors make that comment more than once about Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. I think it's a midwestern thing (these are always always folks from NYC's slightly less friendly metro area).

When I head south, I am treated about the same as home, so I've never said "wow, southern hospitality is incredible!!!!" I take that to mean that it's not that different here than, say, Tennessee or Georgia.

Similarly, everyone talks about "Minnesota Nice" when you head that directly. Same thing.. friendly people wiling to help.

Edited by suydam

I don't mean to beat this dead horse, but Molly (of GR) was chosen by Jason on ABC's "The Bachelor." Seemed kind of staged to me, but ah well. Hopefully we don't have to hear about this in the Press for the next three weeks.

Hey, you forgot the SPOILER ALERT tags!

(ho hum)

He's Dave effing Ramsey, people here in GR have such a man crush on the guy that he gets treated very well when he's here. There are times when Dave Ramsey has come up in conversation and I thought I was hearing about the person's prom date or something.

He's Dave effing Ramsey, people here in GR have such a man crush on the guy that he gets treated very well when he's here. There are times when Dave Ramsey has come up in conversation and I thought I was hearing about the person's prom date or something.

And he would never stoop to playing the crowd, would he?

"No city rocks like Grand Rapids rocks! Whooo! I love you all!"

And he would never stoop to playing the crowd, would he?

"No city rocks like Grand Rapids rocks! Whooo! I love you all!"

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gist of his whole spiel pretty much common sense? Don't take on unnecessary debt. Don't use a credit card (if you don't have the discipline to pay it off every month). Keep six months salary in reserve. Don't buy more house than you can afford. Don't waste money on stuff you don't really need, etc.

That's not to say his advice isn't sound, but isn't it sad that so many people act like it's some sort of revelation to hear him say it.

My favorite Dave Ramsey money making trick - get thousands of people to pay you hard earned cash just so that they can hear you tell them what they already know but don't want to admit to themselves. Hell, my old granddad gave me that advice for free every damn time I saw him.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the gist of his whole spiel pretty much common sense? Don't take on unnecessary debt. Don't use a credit card (if you don't have the discipline to pay it off every month). Keep six months salary in reserve. Don't buy more house than you can afford. Don't waste money on stuff you don't really need, etc.

That's not to say his advice isn't sound, but isn't it sad that so many people act like it's some sort of revelation to hear him say it.

My favorite Dave Ramsey money making trick - get thousands of people to pay you hard earned cash just so that they can hear you tell them what they already know but don't want to admit to themselves. Hell, my old granddad gave me that advice for free every damn time I saw him.

Well, that's pretty much what Weight Watchers is as well. "If you want to lose weight, keep track of what you eat so that you eat less, and exercise a little bit"

I think that Dave Ramsey and Weight Watchers just give people a structured way to put these sorts of plans in place and to keep them accountable to the goals that they set.

It's a little more involved than that. He goes against what even a lot of financial advisers might tell you. He recommends no credit cards, no car loans, no students loans and no mortgage if you can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, I just watched 10-15 minutes of a show on the Discovery Channel about zombies. Most of it was footage from Grand Rapids and how we are the zombie capital of the world!!! ALOT of footage from the walk! its awesome, the host became a zombie on rosa parks circle!

lol, I just watched 10-15 minutes of a show on the Discovery Channel about zombies. Most of it was footage from Grand Rapids and how we are the zombie capital of the world!!! ALOT of footage from the walk! its awesome, the host became a zombie on rosa parks circle!

Did they feature the downtown ZOMBIE WALK???!??? LOL

At one point there was a high-quality camera in the back of a pickup truck with what appeared to be some studio lighting. There weere dozens of zombies around the truck all with arms reaching for the camera.. I thought it was very cool, but I've never seen that footage. Was that in the Discovery Channel show?

Edit: Found the video:

No footage from the back of the truck.

Edited by tSlater

Most of it was footage from Grand Rapids and how we are the zombie capital of the world!!!

I thought the zombie capital of world reputation came from the fact that every four years thousands of zombies lumber to the polls with glassy dead-eyed slack faces and mindlessly check the Republican straight ticket box on their ballot.

:D:D:whistling: