People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with hamburgers, but there is a really great conference coming to GR this summer. It will be a wonderful opportunity for people interested in green development AND it will attract a lot of attention to GR. Its called GreenTown and there will also be one in Chicago in the fall. Here is the website if you want to participate: http://greentownconference.com/. On the website, the say GR was chosen because it is a leader "in the sustainable movement and are on the forefront of creating eco-effective communities." GO Grand Rapids!

The burger seems to be getting some attention...probably the only time an espn network covered anything on the whitecaps

There was an incident a few years ago with a cash-grab promotion that got some people hurt, if I remember correctly. And it's possible that they've covered or at least mentioned a few of the bigger players single-A rehab starts, like Maggs, Granderson, and Kenny Rogers.

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with hamburgers, but there is a really great conference coming to GR this summer. It will be a wonderful opportunity for people interested in green development AND it will attract a lot of attention to GR. Its called GreenTown and there will also be one in Chicago in the fall. Here is the website if you want to participate: http://greentownconference.com/. On the website, the say GR was chosen because it is a leader "in the sustainable movement and are on the forefront of creating eco-effective communities." GO Grand Rapids!

Sounds interesting. In a similar vein, MSU's Land Policy Institute is hosting a conference (in Lansing April 14 and 15) that will talk about the things that make vibrant, prosperous communities -- like green areas, cultural opportunities, the kinds of things that attract "knowledge workers." When I worked in downtown GR, having the convention center, arena, waterfront walks, etc. nearby was a huge fringe benefit. And never underestimate the value of burgers and ballgames ...

Saw this on the Rapid and GreatLakesGuy Twitter feeds, (and they stole it from someone else).

American Seating (AS) was prominently mentioned in an ABCNews story about the stimulus funds going to help transit agencies buy more buses which helps spur jobs at bus makers and parts suppliers. They get some shots in the AS factory and a question from an AS VP.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7328664

Saw this on the Rapid and GreatLakesGuy Twitter feeds, (and they stole it from someone else).

American Seating (AS) was prominently mentioned in an ABCNews story about the stimulus funds going to help transit agencies buy more buses which helps spur jobs at bus makers and parts suppliers. They get some shots in the AS factory and a question from an AS VP.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=7328664

Well I'm glad to see the stimulus funds are creating at least some jobs (other than for temporary road working jobs).

The Grand Rapids Antiques Roadshow edition airs tonight on WGVU at 8pm.

http://www.wgvu.org/tv/maintv.cfm?content=pbs_shows.cfm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/index.html

Edited by fotoman311

Anyone know if they taped any GR segments (like Heritage Hill)? They went to the Gilmore Car museum (probably the wrong name) which was interesting, but I wanted to see GR in the spotlight. :)

Joe

The Grand Rapids Antiques Roadshow edition airs tonight on WGVU at 8pm.

http://www.wgvu.org/tv/maintv.cfm?content=pbs_shows.cfm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/index.html

While it's certainly a niche amount of national exposure, a VERY positive summary of the first Grand Rapid Bike Summit was sent out to about 40,000 members of the League of American Bicyclists in their E-newsletter. It's not posted to their website yet, but here was what was written about Grand Rapids in the email:

Grand Rapids Bike Summit Recap

The inaugural Grand Rapids Bike Summit took place last Friday, April 24th in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The event hosted by the newly formed Bike Grand Rapids Coalition had the goal of putting together an action plan for making the city into a Bicycle Friendly Community. The turnout of over 200 people was just one demonstration of the enthusiasm for these efforts from the city's active bicycling community. Bill Nesper, the League's Director of the Bicycle Friendly America program spoke at the event and expressed how inspiring the event was for him. "The community has a lot of the ingredients of a great cycling city but most importantly they have the thing that someone from out of town can't teach at a workshop - a grassroots bicycling culture. [At their summit] it was clear that the community has the people at all levels, from city staff to club cyclists, who want to transform their city for cycling. They have come up with a plan of action which was the goal...and I can't wait to see what happens next."

I was just in Tokyo a few weeks ago and saw this commercial on TV for Grand Rapids, MI (and cascade engineering). I don't remember what station it was on, sorry. I was gobsmacked, here I am in Japan watching a commercial for Grand Rapids!

http://www.themedc.org/News-Media/Multimed...;q=1828&g=1

In English? On a Japanese station? Wow.

Well I like to look at some of Forbes articles. Well I happen to come across the latest for job potential in the US using the MSA's. Well Grand Rapids-Wyoming MSA is uhm not doing that well for job potential. We are 11th from the bottom for medium sized cities which translates to 86 out of 97 MSA's. In relation to every MSA's in the nation we rank 310 out of 336. But here is the kicker, Jackson (336), Detroit-Dearborn-Livionia (335), Saginaw (334), Flint (333), Battle Creek (331), Muskegon (326), Holland-Grand Haven (324), Ann Arbor (322) are all below us. Above us includes Kalamazoo (303), Warren-Troy-Farmington (294), Lansing (273), Niles-Benton Harbor (257). Needless to say the GM plant closing had a bit to do with this along with the number of Automotive suppliers we have here in the area. We did drop 12 spots this year. Kzoo dropped 9 along with most of the other MSA's in the state. A few did rise though. Battle Creek went up 3 spots, Ann Arbor 6, Warren 26, Lansing 43, and Benton Harbor 7. To see the full listing here is the LINK.

Well I like to look at some of Forbes articles. Well I happen to come across the latest for job potential in the US using the MSA's. Well Grand Rapids-Wyoming MSA is uhm not doing that well for job potential. We are 11th from the bottom for medium sized cities which translates to 86 out of 97 MSA's. In relation to every MSA's in the nation we rank 310 out of 336. But here is the kicker, Jackson (336), Detroit-Dearborn-Livionia (335), Saginaw (334), Flint (333), Battle Creek (331), Muskegon (326), Holland-Grand Haven (324), Ann Arbor (322) are all below us. Above us includes Kalamazoo (303), Warren-Troy-Farmington (294), Lansing (273), Niles-Benton Harbor (257). Needless to say the GM plant closing had a bit to do with this along with the number of Automotive suppliers we have here in the area. We did drop 12 spots this year. Kzoo dropped 9 along with most of the other MSA's in the state. A few did rise though. Battle Creek went up 3 spots, Ann Arbor 6, Warren 26, Lansing 43, and Benton Harbor 7. To see the full listing here is the LINK.

You don't need Forbes to tell you the job market is depressed in Grand Rapids. However, we don't put a lot of stock in these Fortune/Forbes rankings here, good or bad. Their methodology is usually pretty suspect. What I'm hearing is that for people whose job it is to bring people to Grand Rapids for work, these potential transferees are no longer concerned about the job market here (because things are bad all over).

Here's an interesting animation for job growth/losses in the U.S.:

http://tipstrategies.com/archive/geography-of-jobs/

You don't need Forbes to tell you the job market is depressed in Grand Rapids. However, we don't put a lot of stock in these Fortune/Forbes rankings here, good or bad. Their methodology is usually pretty suspect. What I'm hearing is that for people whose job it is to bring people to Grand Rapids for work, these potential transferees are no longer concerned about the job market here (because things are bad all over).

Here's an interesting animation for job growth/losses in the U.S.:

http://tipstrategies.com/archive/geography-of-jobs/

The UP Community may not put much stock in these rankings and you're not wrong in saying the methodology is sometimes suspect, but that doesn't mean Joe Public disregards them. Regardless of how the lists are compiled, it is certainly better to make the ones that are considered good/positive and it's best to remain off the rankings that are bad/negative.

The UP Community may not put much stock in these rankings and you're not wrong in saying the methodology is sometimes suspect, but that doesn't mean Joe Public disregards them. Regardless of how the lists are compiled, it is certainly better to make the ones that are considered good/positive and it's best to remain off the rankings that are bad/negative.

Well, for this one, Grand Rapids didn't really make the "bad" list (like "Worst 10 Cities for Jobs in the U.S."). People don't notice all the cities that blur together between the best 10 and the worst 10, unless they are specifically researching a particular city. But there's not really much a city can do to get on the "good" lists. It's way more complicated, takes decades of good decisions, good policies, smart growth, pro-business attitudes, clusters, massive tax credits, and actually quite a bit of luck. Plus, Southern cities fare well on these because they are so reliant on population growth to feed their economies.

But to lend credence to the Forbes list, then what really matters is change in ranking, not where you rank. If you take a look at the list again, I would be more concerned in a city that dropped -81 ranking points, or -124 (St George, UT), or -140 (Florence-Mussel Shores, AL), or -111 (Panama City), -109 (Orlando), -147 (Boise, ID), -132 (Atlanta), -162 (Phoenix), -220 (Myrtle Beach).

Viewers will see Grand Rapids at 310 and draw their own conclusions.

Texas must have a huge amount of luck based on the sheer number that made the list :) Clearly they're doing something right that MI is well advised to emulate.

That's my whole point. Viewers won't see Grand Rapids at 310, unless they are looking for it. See how long it takes you find a city like Akron, OH on that list. Or Medford, OR. If the city doesn't mean anything to you, you won't even catch it if it's not the 10 worst or best. What does hurt us more is that there are a lot of Michigan cities in the bottom 10/20.

Texas has some of the lowest taxes in the country, land and homes are dirt cheap (very few zoning regulations), and a lot of immigration from Mexico and California. Obviously the year-round warm weather draws a lot of people as well. Texas has been growing fast for as long as I can remember (back to the 80's).

That's my whole point. Viewers won't see Grand Rapids at 310, unless they are looking for it. See how long it takes you find a city like Akron, OH on that list. Or Medford, OR. If the city doesn't mean anything to you, you won't even catch it if it's not the 10 worst or best. What does hurt us more is that there are a lot of Michigan cities in the bottom 10/20.

Texas has some of the lowest taxes in the country, land and homes are dirt cheap (very few zoning regulations), and a lot of immigration from Mexico and California. Obviously the year-round warm weather draws a lot of people as well. Texas has been growing fast for as long as I can remember (back to the 80's).

Yes, the operative phrase is 'unless they are looking for it'. Unfortunately people who are considering the area will find us and might use it as an excuse ... an unconvinced spouse for example. The change in ranking is important but my spin is different ... if you're already near the bottom and still dropping what type of impression does that impart?

If those Texas factors (except real estate) play importance in determining future growth then Michigan's future isn't exactly bright.

Yes, the operative phrase is 'unless they are looking for it'. Unfortunately people who are considering the area will find us and might use it as an excuse ... an unconvinced spouse for example. The change in ranking is important but my spin is different ... if you're already near the bottom and still dropping what type of impression does that impart?

If those Texas factors (except real estate) play importance in determining future growth then Michigan's future isn't exactly bright.

Michigan doesn't have to be Texas to be successful. In fact, it will never be Texas, and shouldn't try to be.

Grand Rapids is' near the bottom of Forbes' list. That doesn't mean we're near the bottom of every list. Definitely the "trailing spouse" is looking at the local economy. But, as I said, in talking with people who actually work with real live people every day looking at moving here, there is much less concern about the local economy now than there was a few years ago. I personally know several people who have moved here from other parts of the country, two of them from Texas (and couldn't stand it).

I just did a quick investigation of the Grand Rapids economy on google, and this article was one of the top 5 to pop up:

http://retailtrafficmag.com/marketprofile/...l_rapid_growth/

Doesn't sound so bad. Forbes list was nowhere to be found in my quick and dirty google search. Just sayin. People look at a broad body of evidence (and ask questions on message boards) about an area before they decide to relocate.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Grand Rapids' job growth is good by any stretch. I'm merely suggesting that reports like Forbes, and where Grand Rapids placed, are anecdotal at best (and virtually impossible to find).

I just did a quick investigation of the Grand Rapids economy on google, and this article was one of the top 5 to pop up:

http://retailtrafficmag.com/marketprofile/...l_rapid_growth/

Retailtrafficmag compared to Forbes is like comparing the Chicago Tribune to the Petosky News-Review.

I'll politely disagree with Michigan not emulating Texas. Not everything of course, but Michigan can certainly benefit by incorporating things they're doing there.

Retailtrafficmag compared to Forbes is like comparing the Chicago Tribune to the Petosky News-Review.

I'll politely disagree with Michigan not emulating Texas. Not everything of course, but Michigan can certainly benefit by incorporating things they're doing there.

If you actually go to the Forbes article, Grand Rapids isn't mentioned in any of the categories (Small, Medium or Large City lists):

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/worst-cit...ortunities.html

Just FYI.

If there are specific ideas out of Texas that you can think of, that Michigan or West Michigan should adopt, share them here. You'd be surprised who lurks around here looking for ideas.

Last night watching the I heard Grand Rapids mentioned almost half a dozen times on the Redwings broadcast, mostly in relation to a couple of players who had spent a few years with the Griffins and were now seeing significant ice time.

It could be my selective ear, but I only remember one mention of an Anaheim minor league team, and it was one of the lower levels.

So, this means that the 12 people who still watch hockey might have heard Grand Rapids mentioned a few times. :) (actually, there were over 2400 people watching the likely illegal live Versus feed with me on ustream.tv)

These things, have little merit. The problem with lists these is all the negative media attention paid to Michigan. In all my travels everytime I tell someone I'm from Michigan, they automatically think of a third world backwoods Mississippi of the north with two mile long unemployment lines, and the best place to shop being Walmart. They have no idea even now how wealthy the northern suburbs of Detroit are, or that there could even be such a thing. 2/3rds of them argue with me when i tell them Michigan has more people than the state they live in. Point being, the uneducated masses, who might have an opportunity in Michigan, may not even consider it based solely on one sided reports that are being given. Michigan is an economic giant, it's in transition, what's happening right now was gonna happen eventually. My concern is that once Michigan is fully around that corner, and healthy again, twenty years later that negative media stigma will still be with it. This something that probabally grates all of us a little :( , but something I think we r used to dealing with.

I know u guys love my run-on sentences :D