People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

The press release from Kellogg's said "Grand Rapids." So now Grand Rapids gets repeated in all the earnings reports (and mistakenly shown as the headquarters in some of them). Just sayin. :dontknow: Maybe their PR company is in GR. Or maybe for national releases, more people have heard of Grand Rapids than Battle Creek.

Hmm...that is puzzling. Why would they just start doing that out of the blue?

Edited by fotoman311

Hmm...that is puzzling. Why would they just start doing that out of the blue?

The "press release" above is actually an Associated Press report written based on Kellogg's earnings release. AP reporter James Prichard is based in Grand Rapids. AP style is for the dateline to where the report was written. Some papers, like the GR Press, deviate from that style so readers can quickly identify the community most closely tied to a story. The NWA site report, compiled from AP accounts, simply made a mistake. Kellogg has substantial operations in Grand Rapids (28th St. and Roger B. Chaffee), but its HQ remains in Battle Creek.

The "press release" above is actually an Associated Press report written based on Kellogg's earnings release. AP reporter James Prichard is based in Grand Rapids. AP style is for the dateline to where the report was written. Some papers, like the GR Press, deviate from that style so readers can quickly identify the community most closely tied to a story. The NWA site report, compiled from AP accounts, simply made a mistake. Kellogg has substantial operations in Grand Rapids (28th St. and Roger B. Chaffee), but its HQ remains in Battle Creek.

Yes, and Kellogg is making a big investment ($85 Million I believe) in Battle Creek. I never suggested they were moving their HQ. But it's interesting if you do a google news search for "Grand Rapids", that it appears. It's just great that Grand Rapids is getting more national name recognition, and puzzling at the same time.

Grand Rapids recognized for renewable energy use - North American Windpower

I hope we see some more investments locally for wind turbine production. A wind turbine mfr called Vestas is making huge investments out in Colorado:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10214333

Although it sounds like Vestas is opening an office in Chicago to link up with suppliers in the Midwest.

Former Griffins have been making a real splash in the 2009 NHL playoffs... A fact that hasn't been lost on ESPN.com. This article notes how utilizing the Griffins has worked well for the Red Wings:

Detroit Red Wings Can Pick 'Em, But They Can Also Develop 'Em - ESPN

Hey, I read that article. What's the name of that team in Grand Rapids? It seems like I should have read it, but I can't recall. </ end sarcasm>

Hey, I read that article. What's the name of that team in Grand Rapids? It seems like I should have read it, but I can't recall. </ end sarcasm>

:blink: ! I didn't even notice. They mention GR and Curt Fraser but they never use the word "Griffins." Those beotchs!

Here's a better-written article from the New York Times. They say "Grand Rapids Griffins" loud and clear.

Edited by RegalTDP

The announcers during the game the other night talked about the Grand Rapid Griffins a couple of times.

Here's an interesting find about Grand Rapids. It's cool that the writer did a little research on Calder and Grand Rapids for what would normally be a pretty obscure connection that most people would not maket:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/06/01...t-citys-closet/

Former Griffins have been making a real splash in the 2009 NHL playoffs... A fact that hasn't been lost on ESPN.com. This article notes how utilizing the Griffins has worked well for the Red Wings:

Another article, this one from the Wall Street Journal, which actually does mention the Griffins a few times:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124389841307774343.html

I believe Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is from Muskegon (the dutch name should hint that he's from WM). I haven't really been listening to the announcers, but I would think that him being from the same state as the opposing team would be worth mentioning (I know George Blaha would be all over it). Anyone hear anything yet?

I believe Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is from Muskegon (the dutch name should hint that he's from WM). I haven't really been listening to the announcers, but I would think that him being from the same state as the opposing team would be worth mentioning (I know George Blaha would be all over it). Anyone hear anything yet?

He's from Grand Haven. He was an AHL coach for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team until a little over halfway through the season, when the Penguins fired Therrien and called him up. Honestly, I think he has a pretty promising coaching career.

You can check out his life story is in Wikipedia.

He's from Grand Haven. He was an AHL coach for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team until a little over halfway through the season, when the Penguins fired Therrien and called him up. Honestly, I think he has a pretty promising coaching career.

You can check out his life story is in Wikipedia.

fwiw, Dan Bylsma has two brothers who still live and work in the area: Jon is a litigation attorney and partner at Varnum, and Greg is CFO at Herman Miller

Hey folks. Grand Rapids got a nod from MSN as one of ten cities with great transit. Check it out. http://cityguides.msn.com/articles/cityart...3&gt1=24000

Grand Rapids, Mich. -- pop. 193,627

The transit system in Grand Rapids, known fondly as The Rapid, is like an eco-catchphrase come to life. Green building? Check, in the form of a LEED-certified central terminal. Green jobs? Yep, expansion is expected to create 1,200 of them in the short-term, with about 400 being permanent. Transit-oriented development? You betcha: That LEED terminal has helped inspire $74 million of development in a three-block radius. Plus the system boasts super friendly Midwest benefits like a shuttle in the 'burbs that takes riders to the nearest bus stop. OK, OK -- so maybe walkability is the one eco-catchphrase that hasn't caught on yet.

This is not going to help the next Silver Line balloting.

Newsweek put out its annual list of the nation's supposed top 1500 high schools. The top school listed from Michigan is the International Academy in Bloomfield Hills. The ranked ones from our area on the list are:

#464 - Black River

#1011 - East Grand Rapids

#1088 - FH Central

#1185 - Mona Shores

#1271 - Lowell

#1292 - Jenison

Newsweek put out its annual list of the nation's supposed top 1500 high schools. The top school listed from Michigan is the International Academy in Bloomfield Hills. The ranked ones from our area on the list are:

#464 - Black River

#1011 - East Grand Rapids

#1088 - FH Central

#1185 - Mona Shores

#1271 - Lowell

#1292 - Jenison

That actually looks fairly accurate to me. However, was this one of those list that all you have to do is just sign-up to be on it?

That actually looks fairly accurate to me. However, was this one of those list that all you have to do is just sign-up to be on it?

You mean like "Who's Who in Public High Schools?" ;) No, I think it's compiled using a computer formula, in a similar fashion to U.S. New's annual "Best Colleges" list. I don't trust these kinds of lists 100%, because sometimes they'll change the formula so a different school from the previous year will take #1, thereby stirring controversy and selling more magazines... Otherwise, Harvard would be the "best college" every year, and that would be boring.

The local placings sound about right to me, too, but I was surprised City High didn't get a nod.