Libertarian

People talking about Grand Rapids

Now there's a sustainable, green, well-designed, LEED community for ya. :snork:

You laugh, but the building was designed to be convertible to a mall in the likely event Chrysler failed someday. When did they build that, the early 90's? I'd say that was a "sustainable" plan. :)

A mall? In Auburn Hills?!? Imagine that!

I am beating up on the place because I once spent about an hour on the freeway trying to get from the Silverdome area to the Square Lake Road area, which is about as far apart as Meijer Gardens and Knapp's Corner.

Chris Knape twittered this CVB video earlier today while at the DDA:

Edited by Rizzo

Chris Knape twittered this CVB video earlier today while at the DDA:

That's pretty nice. Do you think people outside of GR recognize Brian VanderArk's voice? Or is it just for us locals to know. :ph34r:

I can't believe FMG made #13 on that list. That's amazing!

That's pretty nice. Do you think people outside of GR recognize Brian VanderArk's voice? Or is it just for us locals to know. :ph34r:

I can't believe FMG made #13 on that list. That's amazing!

I have no idea where they're going to run this. The CVB really needs to create a different graphics and image package starting with the typface. Does everything need a logo?

Edited by Rizzo

Is the Kellogg Company starting to identify itself with Grand Rapids?

I noticed their most recent earnings reports had "Grand Rapids" as their tagline. And so GR gets picked up by other media:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/04/...bizwzwmtcom.txt

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/30/ap6363243.html

Is the Kellogg Company starting to identify itself with Grand Rapids?

I noticed their most recent earnings reports had "Grand Rapids" as their tagline. And so GR gets picked up by other media:

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/04/...bizwzwmtcom.txt

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/30/ap6363243.html

To me, the content in that Forbes link just came out of AP's Grand Rapids office. Maybe due to cutbacks, this was the closest reporter they had who could write it up?

Then, the writer on the first site (NWAonline) may have just assumed that Kellogg was based in Grand Rapids because of the AP dateline? That article appears to just be the writer aggregating content from the AP and some other sources she probably found through a google search.

I would highly doubt that Kellogg is identifying itself with Grand Rapids.

To me, the content in that Forbes link just came out of AP's Grand Rapids office. Maybe due to cutbacks, this was the closest reporter they had who could write it up?

Then, the writer on the first site (NWAonline) may have just assumed that Kellogg was based in Grand Rapids because of the AP dateline? That article appears to just be the writer aggregating content from the AP and some other sources she probably found through a google search.

I would highly doubt that Kellogg is identifying itself with Grand Rapids.

The press release from Kellogg's said "Grand Rapids." So now Grand Rapids gets repeated in all the earnings reports (and mistakenly shown as the headquarters in some of them). Just sayin. :dontknow: Maybe their PR company is in GR. Or maybe for national releases, more people have heard of Grand Rapids than Battle Creek.

The press release from Kellogg's said "Grand Rapids." So now Grand Rapids gets repeated in all the earnings reports (and mistakenly shown as the headquarters in some of them). Just sayin. :dontknow: Maybe their PR company is in GR. Or maybe for national releases, more people have heard of Grand Rapids than Battle Creek.

Hmm...that is puzzling. Why would they just start doing that out of the blue?

Edited by fotoman311

Hmm...that is puzzling. Why would they just start doing that out of the blue?

The "press release" above is actually an Associated Press report written based on Kellogg's earnings release. AP reporter James Prichard is based in Grand Rapids. AP style is for the dateline to where the report was written. Some papers, like the GR Press, deviate from that style so readers can quickly identify the community most closely tied to a story. The NWA site report, compiled from AP accounts, simply made a mistake. Kellogg has substantial operations in Grand Rapids (28th St. and Roger B. Chaffee), but its HQ remains in Battle Creek.

The "press release" above is actually an Associated Press report written based on Kellogg's earnings release. AP reporter James Prichard is based in Grand Rapids. AP style is for the dateline to where the report was written. Some papers, like the GR Press, deviate from that style so readers can quickly identify the community most closely tied to a story. The NWA site report, compiled from AP accounts, simply made a mistake. Kellogg has substantial operations in Grand Rapids (28th St. and Roger B. Chaffee), but its HQ remains in Battle Creek.

Yes, and Kellogg is making a big investment ($85 Million I believe) in Battle Creek. I never suggested they were moving their HQ. But it's interesting if you do a google news search for "Grand Rapids", that it appears. It's just great that Grand Rapids is getting more national name recognition, and puzzling at the same time.

Grand Rapids recognized for renewable energy use - North American Windpower

I hope we see some more investments locally for wind turbine production. A wind turbine mfr called Vestas is making huge investments out in Colorado:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_10214333

Although it sounds like Vestas is opening an office in Chicago to link up with suppliers in the Midwest.

Kalamazoo get's a small plug with the new Get A Mac commercial.

Edited by Rizzo

Former Griffins have been making a real splash in the 2009 NHL playoffs... A fact that hasn't been lost on ESPN.com. This article notes how utilizing the Griffins has worked well for the Red Wings:

Detroit Red Wings Can Pick 'Em, But They Can Also Develop 'Em - ESPN

Hey, I read that article. What's the name of that team in Grand Rapids? It seems like I should have read it, but I can't recall. </ end sarcasm>

Hey, I read that article. What's the name of that team in Grand Rapids? It seems like I should have read it, but I can't recall. </ end sarcasm>

:blink: ! I didn't even notice. They mention GR and Curt Fraser but they never use the word "Griffins." Those beotchs!

Here's a better-written article from the New York Times. They say "Grand Rapids Griffins" loud and clear.

Edited by RegalTDP

The announcers during the game the other night talked about the Grand Rapid Griffins a couple of times.

Here's an interesting find about Grand Rapids. It's cool that the writer did a little research on Calder and Grand Rapids for what would normally be a pretty obscure connection that most people would not maket:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/06/01...t-citys-closet/

Former Griffins have been making a real splash in the 2009 NHL playoffs... A fact that hasn't been lost on ESPN.com. This article notes how utilizing the Griffins has worked well for the Red Wings:

Another article, this one from the Wall Street Journal, which actually does mention the Griffins a few times:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124389841307774343.html

I believe Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is from Muskegon (the dutch name should hint that he's from WM). I haven't really been listening to the announcers, but I would think that him being from the same state as the opposing team would be worth mentioning (I know George Blaha would be all over it). Anyone hear anything yet?

I believe Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma is from Muskegon (the dutch name should hint that he's from WM). I haven't really been listening to the announcers, but I would think that him being from the same state as the opposing team would be worth mentioning (I know George Blaha would be all over it). Anyone hear anything yet?

He's from Grand Haven. He was an AHL coach for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team until a little over halfway through the season, when the Penguins fired Therrien and called him up. Honestly, I think he has a pretty promising coaching career.

You can check out his life story is in Wikipedia.

He's from Grand Haven. He was an AHL coach for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team until a little over halfway through the season, when the Penguins fired Therrien and called him up. Honestly, I think he has a pretty promising coaching career.

You can check out his life story is in Wikipedia.

fwiw, Dan Bylsma has two brothers who still live and work in the area: Jon is a litigation attorney and partner at Varnum, and Greg is CFO at Herman Miller