People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

55 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I thought the same. It lacked substance. GR was in the title, a little bit in the middle, and a mention at the end...But it never once actually went into any real detail of what GR has done. So Buffalo locals are left wondering who the heck Grand Rapids is and why is this guy comparing us to them.

I'm thinking of writing something from the GR perspective. Just need to find an outlet to pick it up. :) (I'll cross that bridge when/if I get there I guess)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mpchicago said:

It seems like G. Scott Thomas didn't do much digging to find out the secret to Grand Rapids' success. He basically sited on Detroit Free Press article.   Maybe he should have talked to someone from Grand Rapids?  Not a great article.  

I'm also trying to find where he got his data to show that GR - Wyoming was in the top 10. Unless they put the table together themselves (Buffalo Business Journal).

Here's the report/release from BEA:

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_metro/2016/gdp_metro0916.htm

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The ATX said:

Is that the place that used to have a sloping roof with a roof top support structure preventing it from caving in?  It's been 10 years since I last visited my hometown, so forgive me for not keeping up. :)

It was bought in the mid 90's and completely renovated. Well, mostly renovated. That roof structure is gone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaPlex_Arena

Still holds all the gun and knive shows you could ever want. ;)

I can't believe I can't find any pictures of the old roof structure. That was quite a sight. 

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It was bought in the mid 90's and completely renovated. Well, mostly renovated. That roof structure is gone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaPlex_Arena

Still holds all the gun and knive shows you could ever want. ;)

I can't believe I can't find any pictures of the old roof structure. That was quite a sight. 

Never heard of this before so if you do happen upon one, I'd love to see.

4 hours ago, tSlater said:

Never heard of this before so if you do happen upon one, I'd love to see.

You can see it in this picture way over yonder.  I'll keep looking. 

GrandRapidscirca19915.jpg

Whoa, this picture came up too. Anyone else remember Top of the Rock? Alternative Nights on Wednesday or Thursdays? 

DV8-Teen-Club.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

You can see it in this picture way over yonder.  I'll keep looking. 

GrandRapidscirca19915.jpg

Whoa, this picture came up too. Anyone else remember Top of the Rock? Alternative Nights on Wednesday or Thursdays? 

DV8-Teen-Club.jpg

Oh man, I went every Thursday during the Top of the Rock / Club 911 days. I was 21 by the time they changed it to DV8. 

Joe

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Oh man, I went every Thursday during the Top of the Rock / Club 911 days. I was 21 by the time they changed it to DV8. 

Joe

We were probably there at the same time Joe. Hot goth chicks! lol

Check this out:

http://gr-retro.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-of-rock-aka-club-911.html

I did go into the mosh pit a few times, and came out with a bloody nose from one of them. 

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

My wife hung out at Top of The Rock / Club 911 back then.

One time she was tossed out for slam dancing. Would not be shocked if Prankster was the one that had to do it! :rofl:

Haha! I used a fake ID so I could drink, I think I was probably 19 at the time. Looked NOTHING like me, but they stamped my hand anyway. 

Don't tell my kids that. 

16 minutes ago, The ATX said:

My preferred hangout was the Alibi, and sometimes the Green Apple.  Back in those days the 21 and over crowd got purple wrist stamps.  It was easy to wet your wrist and have someone with a stamp press a good enough copy of their stamp onto your wrist.

OMG, we used to do the same thing at Dooley's in East Lansing. Little leprechaun hand stamp and it would totally transfer hands. 

I apparently traveled long distances to drink illegally. (You might have a problem if...) :alc: 

14 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

You guys are deviants, remember I'm new and impressionable!!! lol

Right. haha

• Like 1