Libertarian

People talking about Grand Rapids

986 posts in this topic

In reference to Flint:

"It used to be that you made the cars in Michigan and didn't drink the water in Mexico.  Now it's the other way around."

Anyway, where is Trump speaking?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Is that the place that used to have a sloping roof with a roof top support structure preventing it from caving in?  It's been 10 years since I last visited my hometown, so forgive me for not keeping up. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The ATX said:

Is that the place that used to have a sloping roof with a roof top support structure preventing it from caving in?  It's been 10 years since I last visited my hometown, so forgive me for not keeping up. :)

It was bought in the mid 90's and completely renovated. Well, mostly renovated. That roof structure is gone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaPlex_Arena

Still holds all the gun and knive shows you could ever want. ;)

I can't believe I can't find any pictures of the old roof structure. That was quite a sight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It was bought in the mid 90's and completely renovated. Well, mostly renovated. That roof structure is gone. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaPlex_Arena

Still holds all the gun and knive shows you could ever want. ;)

I can't believe I can't find any pictures of the old roof structure. That was quite a sight. 

Never heard of this before so if you do happen upon one, I'd love to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tSlater said:

Never heard of this before so if you do happen upon one, I'd love to see.

You can see it in this picture way over yonder.  I'll keep looking. 

GrandRapidscirca19915.jpg

 

Whoa, this picture came up too. Anyone else remember Top of the Rock? Alternative Nights on Wednesday or Thursdays? 

DV8-Teen-Club.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez, now I know where they got the paint scheme for the riverfront hotel!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

You can see it in this picture way over yonder.  I'll keep looking. 

GrandRapidscirca19915.jpg

 

Whoa, this picture came up too. Anyone else remember Top of the Rock? Alternative Nights on Wednesday or Thursdays? 

DV8-Teen-Club.jpg

Oh man, I went every Thursday during the Top of the Rock / Club 911 days. I was 21 by the time they changed it to DV8. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Oh man, I went every Thursday during the Top of the Rock / Club 911 days. I was 21 by the time they changed it to DV8. 

Joe

We were probably there at the same time Joe. Hot goth chicks! lol

Check this out:

http://gr-retro.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-of-rock-aka-club-911.html

I did go into the mosh pit a few times, and came out with a bloody nose from one of them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a bouncer ther back in the late 80's early 90's. It was an interesting place to be, that's for sure. All walks of life came through those doors. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Prankster said:

I was a bouncer ther back in the late 80's early 90's. It was an interesting place to be, that's for sure. All walks of life came through those doors. 

Shut.the.f**k.door. You may have thrown me out for drinking illegally. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January 1, 1972 the age of majority changed to 18. For about 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Shut.the.f**k.door. You may have thrown me out for drinking illegally. 

My wife hung out at Top of The Rock / Club 911 back then.

One time she was tossed out for slam dancing. Would not be shocked if Prankster was the one that had to do it! :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

My wife hung out at Top of The Rock / Club 911 back then.

One time she was tossed out for slam dancing. Would not be shocked if Prankster was the one that had to do it! :rofl:

Haha! I used a fake ID so I could drink, I think I was probably 19 at the time. Looked NOTHING like me, but they stamped my hand anyway. 

Don't tell my kids that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My preferred hangout was the Alibi, and sometimes the Green Apple.  Back in those days the 21 and over crowd got purple wrist stamps.  It was easy to wet your wrist and have someone with a stamp press a good enough copy of their stamp onto your wrist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are deviants, remember I'm new and impressionable!!! lol

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The ATX said:

My preferred hangout was the Alibi, and sometimes the Green Apple.  Back in those days the 21 and over crowd got purple wrist stamps.  It was easy to wet your wrist and have someone with a stamp press a good enough copy of their stamp onto your wrist.

OMG, we used to do the same thing at Dooley's in East Lansing. Little leprechaun hand stamp and it would totally transfer hands. 

I apparently traveled long distances to drink illegally. (You might have a problem if...) :alc: 

14 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

You guys are deviants, remember I'm new and impressionable!!! lol

Right. haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 0:06 PM, SEsideguy said:

1970's Thunderchicken!!!!!!!

Thunderchicken is the best name ever. I've always thought, if I opened a bar, I'd resurrect that brand. :)

My parents told me Thunderchicken had a light up dance floor similar to Saturday Night Fever. Sweet!

Joe

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem was it had tiered levels. The more you drank the harder it was to walk up and down.  The dance floor was cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the chicks looked like Eric Foremans sister on "That 70's Show" and no bras!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.