People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Article about construction in "Michigan" which is conspicuous in that it reinforces that for many people Michigan = Detroit.  If there were a thread called "People NOT talking about Grand Rapids" I would've posted this there.  This annoys me.

Why MI's Market is Rebounding and Thriving

People love a good comeback story. They are desperate to see Detroit have a massive resurgence to what it was in the good ol' days. Nevermind the fact that Grand Rapids has been the greater success story in just about every category. Detroit's resurgence is very minimal compared to other cities of its size while Grand Rapids has been at or near the top in most categories of cities of its size. 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GRLaker said:

People love a good comeback story. They are desperate to see Detroit have a massive resurgence to what it was in the good ol' days. Nevermind the fact that Grand Rapids has been the greater success story in just about every category. Detroit's resurgence is very minimal compared to other cities of its size while Grand Rapids has been at or near the top in most categories of cities of its size. 

My daughter works for a multi-national architectural engineering firm. Even though she works in the Grand Rapids, when she works with offices in other states, those employees think that the conditions in Grand Rapids are the same as Detroit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

My daughter works for a multi-national architectural engineering firm. Even though she works in the Grand Rapids, when she works with offices in other states, those employees think that the conditions in Grand Rapids are the same as Detroit.

:rolleyes: With that mindset, NYC naturally is the same as Buffalo. They're in the same state afterall. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

#9 Hottest Hipster Market in the US for homebuyers

http://www.grbj.com/articles/89047-grand-rapids-is-no-9-hottest-hipster-market-in-us

Median home price in Grand Rapids is $387,000? I don't think so. 

Yeah, that's wrong.  The article shouldn't have worded it that way.  Realtor.com was ranking zip codes, not whole cities.  Specifically 49506, which includes all of EGR, Eastown, part of East Hills, Ottawa Hills, and some other SE areas.  387K sounds right if you base it off that.

Edited by RegalTDP

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read this Engadget article? Not overly impressed with how Start Garden "sells" the city of Grand Rapids.  "Hey! We'll never think too big, or get outside of our manufacturing comfort zone, but it's affordable!". Face Palm.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/06/michigan-rust-belt-manufacturing-detroit-tech-scene/

Joe

Interesting article , and especially enjoyed the black and white downtrodden pictures laced throughout.

This excerpt reminded me of something someone would have written about GR 15 to 20 years ago. ....And what's up with the rust belt/mom and pop shop thing?   That didn't even make scene.

Alcohol sales are restricted before noon on Sundays, when plenty of local businesses are closed all day. Finding anything to do after 10 PM that isn't sitting at a bar is close to impossible. As in many Rust Belt towns, mom-and-pop shops reign supreme.

Edited by mpchicago

39 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Interesting article , and especially enjoyed the black and white downtrodden pictures laced throughout.

This excerpt reminded me of something someone would have written about GR 15 to 20 years ago. ....And what's up with the rust belt/mom and pop shop thing?   That didn't even make scene.

Alcohol sales are restricted before noon on Sundays, when plenty of local businesses are closed all day. Finding anything to do after 10 PM that isn't sitting at a bar is close to impossible. As in many Rust Belt towns, mom-and-pop shops reign supreme.

Agreed. There were a lot of things from the writers point of view that were kind of WTF moments (besides restaurants, bars, clubs, music venues, etc. do a lot of cities have a ton going on after 10? ). I've traveled to a lot of cities, and that seems like the typical thing to do after 10pm. It's typical rust-belt writer talk (it was definitely true 15-20 years ago, but that isn't very indicative of GR now). I was more pissed off at the way Paul Moore (Start Garden) portrayed the economy and workforce like "if people in West Michigan can't beat it with a hammer, those darned people just don't get it!". Pretty easy for him to say when he's literally been insulated and attached to the teet of the DeVos family fortune his entire working career. ;)

I hate "flyover" articles. I hate it worse when locals add to the B.S.

Sorry, I'm getting back on the positive train now. :)

Joe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Agreed. There were a lot of things from the writers point of view that were kind of WTF moments (besides restaurants, bars, clubs, music venues, etc. do a lot of cities have a ton going on after 10? ). I've traveled to a lot of cities, and that seems like the typical thing to do after 10pm. It's typical rust-belt writer talk (it was definitely true 15-20 years ago, but that isn't very indicative of GR now). I was more pissed off at the way Paul Moore (Start Garden) portrayed the economy and workforce like "if people in West Michigan can't beat it with a hammer, those darned people just don't get it!". Pretty easy for him to say when he's literally been insulated and attached to the teet of the DeVos family fortune his entire working career. ;)

I hate "flyover" articles. I hate it worse when locals add to the B.S.

Sorry, I'm getting back on the positive train now. :)

Joe

Yes, that article is weird. I know I can probably be accused of being a Grand Rapids/West Michigan booster, but reading that article from 30,000 feet up, it just drips of condescension. You can't buy fucking alcohol in Chicago on Sunday before 11am! One hour difference from here. It's the case in probably 3/4's of States in the US, dating back to post prohibition. And you can find plenty of businesses open on Sundays. Most retail businesses actually. 

And looking at the author's bio page, he looks and reads like your typical poorly paid media douchebag, writing articles from his 300 sf studio apartment that he spends 60% of his paycheck on. 

He's probably all hot on Detroit now after writing about it, and will ruin it like so many other carpetbagging douchebags. 

End rant. Moving on. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

You can't buy fudgeing alcohol in Chicago on Sunday before 11am! One hour difference from here. It's the case in probably 3/4's of States in the US, dating back to post prohibition.

Pretty sure the Sunday alcohol laws don't exist in GR anymore anyways, just in some of the surrounding areas.

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

You can't buy freaking alcohol in Chicago on Sunday before 11am! One hour difference from here. It's the case in probably 3/4's of States in the US, dating back to post prohibition.

In all of Minnesota there were zero liquor sales on Sunday, period - although the law just changed a couple months ago I guess. State law still prohibits any liquor sales in grocery stores. The Trader Joe’s and Costcos have small stores with separate entrances off the main door.  Grand Rapids felt much less restrictive when I moved from Minnesota!