People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

I agree, and as such I'd deem this negative coverage of our region.

To me, it has that smacks of coastal arrogance: "What will those crazies in fly-over country think of next?!"

You're right - the article is somewhat mocking. At the same time, it shows the distinct advantage our city has over the east coat metropolises: if there was a major crisis, a peak-oil one for example, Grand Rapids might be in a better situation to sustain itself because of the its rural and urban balance. There's nothing crazy about self-sufficiency.

Anyways, Hollywood loves to portray big-city desperation during a crisis, and an article like this also plays with people's fears, selling papers when the markets are closed.

Not much was made of the actual location, but I heard an article on NPR's Weekend Edition this morning about a group of student musicians at GVSU-Allendale.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=18581891

They do mention in the web-article that it's located "amid the cornfields" of western Michigan, but no mention of being only 12 miles from the second largest city in the state. They also called it a "small Midwestern college." Since when is a University with 23,500 students (according to wikipedia) a "small college"? If I were describing Oberlin College in Ohio, or St. Olaf's College in Minnesota, I would call it a "small Midwestern college." GVSU is a major mid-size state university.

hmm. Not sure if you are right but here is the list of colleges and universities in Michigan. In anycase here is a quick list of student populations in each school

Michigan State - 46,045

Michigan (Ann Arbor) - 41,042

Wayne State - 33,137

Central Michigan - 26,788

Western Michigan - 24,433

Grand Valley State - 23,464

Eastern Michigan - 22,974

Oakland - 18,082

Ferris State - 13,578

Northern Michigan - 9,689

Saginaw Valley State - 9,662

Michigan (Dearborn) - 8,634

Michigan (Flint) - 6,900

Michigan Tech - 6,758

Lake Superior State - 2,913

This list isnt all of them just the public universities. But those tend to be larger. For some comparison to the Community Colleges here is a few.

Oakland - 74,000

Lansing - 35,000

Macomb - 27,000

Grand Rapids - 14,000 + 10,000 non credit class takers

Henry Ford - 13,000

Kalamazoo Valley - 11,398

Jackson - 6,222

So I think it just might be called a mid sized univerisity. But to call it small uhm no GVSU is not small. But it is in the middle of the cornfields that are only a few minutes away from the downtown though. And people talk about urban sprawl. hmm. :scared:

hmm. Not sure if you are right but here is the list of colleges and universities in Michigan. In anycase here is a quick list of student populations in each school

Michigan State - 46,045

Michigan (Ann Arbor) - 41,042

Wayne State - 33,137

Central Michigan - 26,788

Western Michigan - 24,433

Grand Valley State - 23,464

Eastern Michigan - 22,974

Oakland - 18,082

Ferris State - 13,578

Northern Michigan - 9,689

Saginaw Valley State - 9,662

Michigan (Dearborn) - 8,634

Michigan (Flint) - 6,900

Michigan Tech - 6,758

Lake Superior State - 2,913

This list isnt all of them just the public universities. But those tend to be larger. For some comparison to the Community Colleges here is a few.

Oakland - 74,000

Lansing - 35,000

Macomb - 27,000

Grand Rapids - 14,000 + 10,000 non credit class takers

Henry Ford - 13,000

Kalamazoo Valley - 11,398

Jackson - 6,222

So I think it just might be called a mid sized univerisity. But to call it small uhm no GVSU is not small. But it is in the middle of the cornfields that are only a few minutes away from the downtown though. And people talk about urban sprawl. hmm. :scared:

those are old numbers... as of this year GVSU has surpassed W. Mich. in enrollment

Here's the video of the bat on a Dallas/Ft Worth NBC affiliate:

http://video.nbc5i.com/player/?id=214746

HA! We are now the Forrest Gump of the up-and-coming cities. :rolleyes:

I can hear observant people around the U.S. now, " . . . . Damn, presidential funerals, construction and bats? What the hell is going on up there?" <I need a Homer Simpson "Doh!" emoticon here>

Edited by metrogrkid

HA! We are now the Forrest Gump of the up-and-coming cities. :rolleyes:

I can hear observant people around the U.S. now, " . . . . Damn, presidential funerals, construction and bats? What the hell is going on up there?" <I need a Homer Simpson "Doh!" emoticon here>

As long as it's nothing horrible, like a new Michigan Militia is starting up, I think it's just good name recognition. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

ABC News: Out of the shadows, overcoming illiteracy

Shot right here in Grand Rapids a few months ago. Although it points out that 1 out of 4 Grand Rapids residents can't read, the special focuses on efforts by Kent County to combat illiteracy. Based on the article, it looks pretty uplifting. The full story will be on ABC News tonight at 6:30.

ABC News: Out of the shadows, overcoming illiteracy

Shot right here in Grand Rapids a few months ago. Although it points out that 1 out of 4 Grand Rapids residents can't read, the special focuses on efforts by Kent County to combat illiteracy. Based on the article, it looks pretty uplifting. The full story will be on ABC News tonight at 6:30.

"In nearby Grand Rapids, a city of 184,000, one out of every five residents has difficulty reading or cannot read at all."

I might actually have to watch the news tonight. I've contemplated signing up as a volunteer with them a few times, but just haven't done it.

20% is pretty sad.

Not exactly the sort of national exposure that GR is hoping for, but they are really trying to assist these people.

Hopefully the city and residents can help knock out illiteracy.

Apparently 21 - 23% of Americans are "functionally illiterate". Michigan's average is about 18%.

• 2 weeks later...