People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

DT GR is really hard to take a nice photo of. Our buildings are too uniform in height, and not clustered.

We also have no real signature tower and the existing tall buildings are too generic. It is the quintessential mid-sized Anytown U.S.A..

Your only choice is to try to make a bunch of boring (mostly old) high-rises look good together (more or less the type of photo on the cover of a phone book), or show a wide-shot of some really vague places.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

DT GR is really hard to take a nice photo of. Our buildings are too uniform in height, and not clustered.

We also have no real signature tower and the existing tall buildings are too generic. It is the quintessential mid-sized Anytown U.S.A..

Your only choice is to try to make a bunch of boring (mostly old) high-rises look good together (more or less the type of photo on the cover of a phone book), or show a wide-shot of some really vague places.

True...I was just thinking the other day that our tallest buildings are too clustered around the river. The downtown has little depth due to its lack of height away from the river.

9 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

True...I was just thinking the other day that our tallest buildings are too clustered around the river. The downtown has little depth due to its lack of height away from the river.

I always felt like the view from the south, near the beginning of the S-curve was the most interesting, even though most of the tallest buildings are in front of each other from that angle. At least you can see the Children's hospital, McKay, etc. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

5 hours ago, GRLaker said:

I think we on UrbanPlanet are just jaded because we see a lot of the same pictures of Downtown GR floating around.  There are some great cityscape and/or vibrant streetscape shots of GR out there, they just never seem to make it on these city-ranking listicles.

Recently another poster somewhere (I think it was @GRDadof3) suggested we embrace 12 stories and make it our thing.  I agree.  I would love it if GR became the DC of the Midwest.

14 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I think we on UrbanPlanet are just jaded because we see a lot of the same pictures of Downtown GR floating around.  There are some great cityscape and/or vibrant streetscape shots of GR out there, they just never seem to make it on these city-ranking listicles.

Recently another poster somewhere (I think it was @GRDadof3) suggested we embrace 12 stories and make it our thing.  I agree.  I would love it if GR became the DC of the Midwest.

I agree. I think our city looks pretty darn good, and continues getting better. :)

28 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I mean it may be overused, but for national lists why not just a simple image from Ah-Nab-Awen park?

GR.jpg

I always think that shot is a pretty picture.  However in the parts of 3 decades that i've been associated with W. Michigan I do think it's worn out.  It captures the riverfront shot, but makes Grand Rapids look like a Cedar Rapids or Fort Wayne.  It doesn't capture the scope or spirit of the area.  We have a vibrant city center with a more diverse skyline.  Why not have more pictures that show it instead of a picture that says "This is Grand Rapids, do you like our 3 buildings?"

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

But DC has some incredibly iconic and distinct monuments among all of those shorter buildings which really makes it pop.  We don't have that.  Tokyo is largely 12-ish storey buildings (although it does have some skyscrapers, too), but it, too, has some very iconic locales that really make it pop.  (Tokyo tower, contrast between historic temples and modern buildings, areas that are essentially a Times Square of Japan, etc.)  We don't have that.

No matter what, whether it's a large tower, a low monument, or something in between, we need something iconic that really stands out and separates us from all of the other cities to be anything other than just another Fort Wayne.  The river, as much as we like it, even with rapids, is not going to ever be that icon.  And the kitschy table and chairs on top of the blue bridge was iconic, but the wrong kind of icon. (Thank goodness it was just temporary.)

That said, I think one of the best shots we could have at this time would be a shot of Ionia SW, being sure to get a hint of taller buildings in the background without really showing those taller buildings.  That way it takes a focus on a picturesque built environment while suggesting there's a lot more without showing what that "more" is.  If there were some tall buildings behind the GRAM that stood out above, that'd also be a fantastic potential using what we have.

Edited by tSlater

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know , every city makes it on a Travel Channel food/drink episode eventually.  But today I watched an episode about America's brew cities, and there was a nice episode about G.R. that featured Founders.  That's definitely one of the places I'm visiting on my next trip back home.

• Like 1