People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

There was a whole crew at the restaurant the other day.  Looked like they were filming and doing renovations.  Didn't spot the big beef cake host though lol.  

As for the exterior, it's definitely unique.  It looks like something someone would design during an acid trip, but not really sure about the history.  I have heard out of towners comment on how they like it and do see a lot of people taking pictures of it.  Keep Eastown weird.

1 minute ago, Floyd_Z said:

There was a whole crew at the restaurant the other day.  Looked like they were filming and doing renovations.  Didn't spot the big beef cake host though lol.  

As for the exterior, it's definitely unique.  It looks like something someone would design during an acid trip, but not really sure about the history.  I have heard out of towners comment on how they like it and do see a lot of people taking pictures of it.  Keep Eastown weird.

I've always been told they entryway was designed as a giant labia.  I can pretty much see it. 

3 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I've always been told they entryway was designed as a giant labia.  I can pretty much see it. 

Must've been the same person that did the Spinnaker in EGR....

13 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I think the guy who owns McKendree Jewelers designed it.  They've been there since 1972.

At least with the show, I doubt they'll be able to do anything with the exterior.  According to them, they only have a $10,000 budget, including all the work they have to do in the interior.  A bigger sign on the outside would be nice... Though I have no idea where it would go.

Edited by RegalTDP

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, mpchicago said:

:tw_tired:

Minor league sports barely existed in western Michigan in the late 1980s and early ’90s. And with a declining population and an unemployment rate that was well above the national average, why would it?

I know I probably shouldn't care but it's crap like the above quote that drives me nuts.  The 80's and 90's were periods of gang buster growth for W. MIch.  Even the city of Grand Rapids was gaining.  It's so obnoxiously obvious the person who wrote this article hadn't heard of this area until they were tasked with writing this piece.  Or am I the only person who didn't realize the statistical area was named "Grand Rapids-Comstock Park"?  Comstock Park isn't technically even a city.  It's a "census designated place" - the name of a school district, and a zip code.  This would have been way better as a clickbait slide show.......eye roll.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BLUESCRUBS said:

For some more fun outdoors, stop by the Martin Luther King, Jr. Park where kids can enjoy the pool and splash pad.

Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen  MLK Park mentioned as a destination in a travel article. :silly:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen  MLK Park mentioned as a destination in a travel article. :silly:

Apparently, she is a freelance writer but who would pay someone for something like this, let alone Forbes?  It reads like a last-minute paper a high school student would write in a hurry and turn in late after doing a couple of quick Google and TripAdvisor searches. 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:19 PM, destijl said:

The underlying study behind this one. Having just gotten back from Florida a few days ago, it was a cultural shock to be around so many "young people" again back here in GR. 

https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/top-10-metros-millennials/

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2020 at 11:07 PM, RegalTDP said:

Vespa gangs?

It gets worse. ---https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/03/michigan-photos/607480/

Just an outsider, but It seems like you guys get shafted in the image department (even for metros of the same or less size) and I've noticed there's a certain wing of the press that does the shafting. Grand Rapids and western Michigan is not the city that some told me about, its better in most cases. I guess this comes with the territory when your city has very little reputation to precede with and it's citizens don't have a healthy ego. In that case people get to define you and often times it's probably not going to reflect reality or maybe it does. In this case you're just a museum and a few bridges without a narrative. Not exactly the image people IN Grand Rapids are trying to sell. 

I took my gf to GR (never been to Michigan) for a day and I told her as we drove up US 131 into the city I said off the cuff welcome to the biggest city you never heard of. 

Edited by Chisox
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chisox said:

It gets worse. ---https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/03/michigan-photos/607480/

Just and outsider, but It seems like you guys get shafted in the image department (even for metros of the same or less size) and I've noticed there's a certain wing of the press that does the shafting. Grand Rapids and western Michigan is not the city that some told me about, its better in most cases. I guess this comes with the territory when your city has very little reputation to precede with and it's citizens don't have a healthy ego. In that case people get to define you and often times it's probably not going to reflect reality or maybe it does. In this case you're just a museum and a few bridges without a narrative. Not exactly the image people IN Grand Rapids are trying to sell. 

I took my gf to GR (never been to Michigan) for a day and I told her as we drove up US 131 into the city I said off the cuff welcome to the biggest city you never heard of. 

Even Bernie yesterday said he didn't know Grand Rapids had so many people (to a crowd of 7000 at Calder Plaza). 

We've been  fighting this narrative for some time, but it seems like in the last 7 - 8 years national press has been nothing but glowing about GR (even to the point where we were all making fun of all of the lists we were ending up on) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Even Bernie yesterday said he didn't know Grand Rapids had so many people (to a crowd of 7000 at Calder Plaza). 

We've been  fighting this narrative for some time, but it seems like in the last 7 - 8 years national press has been nothing but glowing about GR (even to the point where we were all making fun of all of the lists we were ending up on) 

I guess that's a problem for most cities that aren't on the coasts in context to media. Although just in my travels I got the feeling that INSIDE the state there was a perception problem, which is more concerning. That's just my observation.

Maybe GR is just going to be that place that manages well with the under promise and over deliver mantra. That only gets you so far though, eventually you're going to need to be a bit of showman. 

Edited by Chisox