People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Second only to Spotted Cow. Thankfully, they have both here.

I think it was just the thought of golf and Oberon, two of my summer favorites.

Here's one:

U.S. Mint picks Austin for promotion of dollar coin

By KAREN BROOKS / The Dallas Morning News

[email protected]

AUSTIN – There's gold in these here hills.

This trend-setting Hill Country city is one of four communities nationwide that will heavily promote the new $1 coin, a gold-colored alternative to the dollar bill that the government hopes will save money on, well, money.

Austin joins Portland, Ore., Charlotte, N.C., and Grand Rapids, Mich. – all known for their younger population and cool reputation :huh: – in the push for the hip new version of the tired old dollar bill that's cooler, edgier and better looking.

Dallas Morning News

I'm not arguing with them, but is it true that Grand Rapids is starting to be lumped in with cities like Austin, Charlotte and Portland? Is it the constant national press we get for being so GREEN?

Hey all right! We're cool. But... are we cool enough to use the coin over bills? Sounds like a poll question to me.

Yeah, why does the Federal government think that coins are "cool" and paper is not? Seems like paperless debit cards, with receipts emailed to you from your bank if you wanted them (like Apple does), would be the coolest alternative.

Hey, if the Dallas Morning News thinks were cool, then I'll take it. Because apparently our local Press doesn't quite think so:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/opinion/index...oung_restl.html

Not that I disagree with their sentiment. I think Grand Rapids needs a good swift kick in the "self-esteem" pants.

... I think Grand Rapids needs a good swift kick in the "self-esteem" pants.

I've been hanging out on freep.com (guess why?) and I keep bragging about the efficiency of a city manager-council-mayor form of municipal government. In a post on Monday, mentioned that our KK had written a manual describing how to select a new police chief (another reader had suggested that the top cop be an elected position). I've also been mentioning good things that are in direct contrast to the way things are done over there.

(That bike tour that came through on Saturday went straight up the Fulton hill, and a tandem pair took a break on someone's conveniently-situated shady front yard. No sirens went off, no executive protection unit appeared.)

Rumors are swirling on the internet that McCain might name his VP running mate in Grand Rapids on or around Aug. 30th or 31st. Apparently McCain has informally scheduled a visit to GR around that date, and Secret Service has booked rooms at the J.W. Marriott around that date. The timing might be due to the DNC convention coming up next weekend, and the amount of Press Michigan will receive at it due to the Primaries.

That would be quite interesting after Obama got a major endorsement from Edwards here in GR.

Rumors are swirling on the internet that McCain might name his VP running mate in Grand Rapids on or around Aug. 30th or 31st. Apparently McCain has informally scheduled a visit to GR around that date, and Secret Service has booked rooms at the J.W. Marriott around that date. The timing might be due to the DNC convention coming up next weekend, and the amount of Press Michigan will receive at it due to the Primaries.

That would be quite interesting after Obama got a major endorsement from Edwards here in GR.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archiv...chigan_clue.php

It sounds like this decision will be announced on Friday in Dayton, unfortunately not in Grand Rapids this weekend. Doing this in Ohio makes as much sense as doing it here since both states have a high number of electoral votes and both have polls showing these states are still a toss-up. (Obama up slightly in Mich, McCain up slightly in Ohio)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It sounds like this decision will be announced on Friday in Dayton, unfortunately not in Grand Rapids this weekend. Doing this in Ohio makes as much sense as doing it here since both states have a high number of electoral votes and both have polls showing these states are still a toss-up. (Obama up slightly in Mich, McCain up slightly in Ohio)

Wired Maagzine's web site mentions' GR today in context of Hybrids and Harleys rally that rolled into town during McCain visit.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/09/no-priuses-allo.html

Travelocity irked some local residents and downtown fans on a particular ad -- Press Editor Mike Lloyd tells the story.

Rizz:

In the comments following that article, one Press reader said, " ....Why such a harsh reaction to the image of a farm? West Michigan is a hearty "values" area. Embrace it!"

The following guy, some rabid GR cheerleader type, responded with, "....Hello! WAKE UP!! GR has a long-standing and horrendously bad reputation as a sleepy, boring, country, hooterville backwater that people laugh at or run from while pulling their hair out.

This region has put in too much effort to finally be cultivating a classy and exciting big city image for such an advertisement to be embraced. As far as the "values" of West Michigan go, remind self that these are the same "values" that have would-be visitors/lost potential newcomers referring to us as "Johannesberg" and "Pretoria" of North America as they likewise laugh at us or run from us while pulling their hair out". :P

Nicely said and in such a tightly wrapped package too.

Edited by metrogrkid

Barack Obama coming to Grand Rapids' Calder Plaza Thursday morning

With McCain/Palin coming here right after the convention, and now Obama coming to Grand Rapids in a very important run up to November 5th, we're starting to be considered as an important bellweather area apparently.

I think it's going to be a pretty significant speech too, given Monday's developments in Washington and on Wall Street. To have him in Grand Rapids giving (hopefully) such an important speech just months after John Edwards made a huge endorsement for him here is pretty lucky if you ask me.

I will be at Calder Plaza dark and early for this one!

The Pillow Fight was given 30 seconds of the newscast airtime on the local FOX affiliate here in Fort Lauderdale, the anchor stating "...the event bringing good business to the downtown area". :lol:

I saw the Pillow Fight on CNN Headline News this morning as well. Also about 30 seconds of coverage.