People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

I don't understand the 50%, 10% differentiation though.

The way I understood it, the Fox Chick and Psychologist were trying to say that ~2,100 H's had been handed out this year and since there were ~4,000 students, that meant 50% of the students got H's. Overall, ~21,000 grades are handed out in the school district, so 2,100 H's / 21,000 grades = 10%. The Fox Chick and Psychologist must've missed basic mathematics in their education...

What a bunch of junk. Do people seriously watch those cable snooze point/counterpoint shows? Yes, Taylor seemed agitated, but he came across as at least somewhat knowledgeable given the short time he was given. I don't understand the 50%, 10% differentiation though.

BTW: What PR person in their right mind would let the Superintendent go on a show like that?

It is a bunch of junk, but it came up on the radar.

I can't imagine external affairs would approve of this interview with Taylor speaking on behalf of GRPS. Fox probably didn't tell WXMI the entire format as a result Taylor and others probably had no idea what he was up against.

Edited by Rizzo

The way I understood it, the Fox Chick and Psychologist were trying to say that ~2,100 H's had been handed out this year and since there were ~4,000 students, that meant 50% of the students got H's. Overall, ~21,000 grades are handed out in the school district, so 2,100 H's / 21,000 grades = 10%. The Fox Chick and Psychologist must've missed basic mathematics in their education...

Ah, the "H" is an individual grade for an individual class, not a student's overall semester grade (?)

Also, someone should let that guy know that $17 Billion is only 2.4% of $700 Billion.

Ah, the "H" is an individual grade for an individual class, not a student's overall semester grade (?)

Thats my understanding. Makes perfect sense if you look at it in context of University's and College's as the Superintendent attempted to do. I had a number of friends that got I's at the end of a semester because they missed a number of classes, even exams because of extenuating circumstances. They had a time period to fix the grade (2-3 weeks generally) or the grade turned it an F. The superintendent even attempted to explain that but the Fox Chick and Psycho. just walked all over him.

I was actually going to post that too, destijl! I also wondered if they would have several questions about GR in future shows seeing that it would be weird to fly people out here just to film a 4 second Jeopardy question.

Stock footage. Google up a still of the subject building, then apply the Ken Burns video effect to make it dynamic.

(did not see the show)

Ok now this makes sense. Reed Timmer is from Grand Rapids but going to school at the U of Ok.

He's taken some picks of the recent Grand River flooding.

http://www.tornadovideos.net/index.cfm/do/s.home

His associate Chris Chittick (also seen in Storm Chasers) is from Greenville, MI.

http://www.tornadovideos.net/index.cfm/do/corp.about

So did I. :)

Rev. Ed Dobson, retired pastor of Calvary Church, has been all over the national news for trying to live "a year like Jesus", and also for voting for Obama.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=ed...sa=N&tab=wn

Speaking of Dobson here is a link to an interview he did on Good Morning America regarding his year of living like Jesus.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone out there who watches The Bachelor, Molly Malaney of Grand Rapids made the "Final Four" and the Bachelor came to Grand Rapids to meet her family last Summer (show is pre-taped). They golf at Egypt Valley and then go out to the JW Marriott. Next Monday night the episode airs:

http://blog.mlive.com/goinggonzo/2009/02/m...es_seattle.html

For anyone out there who watches The Bachelor, Molly Malaney of Grand Rapids made the "Final Four" and the Bachelor came to Grand Rapids to meet her family last Summer (show is pre-taped). They golf at Egypt Valley and then go out to the JW Marriott. Next Monday night the episode airs:

http://blog.mlive.com/goinggonzo/2009/02/m...es_seattle.html

:lol: Sneeky sneeky. You would think a couple slinking around Egypt Valley and downtown GR with ten gazillion film/sound/light people in tow would have set off some alarms . . . . or at least SOME notice from our intrepid Geha :rolleyes: . SHEESH -_- . How stealthy of them :ph34r: .

Edited by metrogrkid

The Bachelor sucked. They only aired the shots from Egypt Valley and then of Molly's home/neighborhood. There was one shot where they were interviewing the Bachelor in what appeared to be the 19th floor lounge of the JW (you could see lights of the Ford Musuem way below in the background), but all the rest was cut.

The Bachelor sucked. They only aired the shots from Egypt Valley and then of Molly's home/neighborhood. There was one shot where they were interviewing the Bachelor in what appeared to be the 19th floor lounge of the JW (you could see lights of the Ford Musuem way below in the background), but all the rest was cut.

Agreed. I've never watched that show but after reading the article in yesterday's paper I thought I'd tune in. I was expecting a lot more. I'm sure the folks at the JW are equally disappointed. Not to mention, her family sort of embarrassed themselves with that silly hat thing. Is that typical of that show? Is it the family's idea or do the producers make them do that kind of stuff? I guess the halo effect could be that the millions who watch the show might ask themselves "where is Grand Rapids Michigan?" and then google the city.

Agreed. I've never watched that show but after reading the article in yesterday's paper I thought I'd tune in. I was expecting a lot more. I'm sure the folks at the JW are equally disappointed. Not to mention, her family sort of embarrassed themselves with that silly hat thing. Is that typical of that show? Is it the family's idea or do the producers make them do that kind of stuff? I guess the halo effect could be that the millions who watch the show might ask themselves "where is Grand Rapids Michigan?" and then google the city.

They sure did look like ninnies, didn't they? :unsure:

I think that's the whole thing with hoping that Hollywood will bring good exposure (The state's film industry incentives for instance). You never really can predict how you'll be portrayed.

I had never watched the bachelor before but I was willing to give it a shot in order to see how GR was portrayed. The show itself was torture and I was disappointed in the few seconds featuring clips of the area. I think I saw the "Welcome to GR" RR bridge at 28th and Division, and maybe a shot of Plaster Creek? A shot of the skyline or a fall color lined street would have been nice.

Although it's kind of already through the news cycle, Amy mentioned seeing Grand Rapids mentioned on the cover a "tabloid" in relation to Jessica Simpson's meltdown.

A google search confirms that it did get a fair amount of play.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=...tnG=Search+News