People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Methinks the photographer - Brian Ulrich from Chicago - was more interested in opportunistically cherry-picking locations that illustrated his preconceived mission rather than being weighed down by minor details such as facts.

I must say though, abandoned malls have an especially creepy quality about them.

I find anecdotal evidence of the recession, via a photo essay like that, quite comical. You can go to the hottest cities in the U.S., during boom times, and find miles and miles of vacant malls and storefronts. What does it prove or illustrate? It's just meant to bring about an emotional response like "Egad!!" "Things are bad!!" :rolleyes:

It's kind of like the Slate flickr site that was linked by someone. Homeless lined up at the mission, abandoned industrial buildings, vacant historic school buildings decaying, Detroit blight? How are these things a new phenomenon? The only ones that I find eye-opening are half-finished homes sitting in weed filled lots and half finished condo towers in Miami and Myrtle Beach.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/shoottherecession/pool/

Most of those pictures could have been taken any time in the last 30 years.

Some timely ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35613420@N07/...oottherecession

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancycain007/...oottherecession

Slater what the heck are you talking about. When was the last time you visited Rogers Plaza. I go there at least once a week and they are always busy. They have walkers yes but most malls do nowadays. As for storefronts yes they have a few that are closed but they still are doing pretty good. The stores on the ends and the center are doing just fine its the spots between that are unable to keep open.

Just saw actor Jeff Daniels plugging Michigan with a focus on Grand Rapids and Cascade Engineering.

This was on CNBC this morning around 8:58 am.

I believe this is sponsored by the Michigan Economic Development Corp. He's done at least one other commercial that I've seen so far.

It looked very slick ... great exposure! Maybe it's on the web somewhere?

Edited by arcturus

Just saw actor Jeff Daniels plugging Michigan with a focus on Grand Rapids and Cascade Engineering.

This was on CNBC this morning around 8:58 am.

I believe this is sponsored by the Michigan Economic Development Corp. He's done at least one other commercial that I've seen so far.

It looked very slick ... great exposure! Maybe it's on the web somewhere?

Found it!

http://www.themedc.org/News-Media/Multimedia/Business/

2nd one down titled 'Cascade'.

Whitecaps on msnbc.com...

That is all. Goodnight and good luck.

Here in Ohio I was listening to 700 WLW out of Cincinnati and heard the tail end of them talking about this story. They said something about the ballpark being 5/3rd but I hadn't realized they were talking about the Whitecaps. I thought they were talking about the minor league team in Dayton or Toledo b/c they also play at fields of which 5/3rd owns the naming rights to. What I do know is that it made me hungry!

Edited by j3shafer

From an email that I got today from Men's Health Magazine....... (sorry there's no web page so I can't provide a link)

THE WORST BALLPARK BURGER

You knew stadium food was bad ... but 4,800 calories? How much would you eat for a free T-shirt?

A minor league baseball team in Michigan will be offering a $20 burger that contains five beef patties, five slices of cheese, nearly a cup of chili, a heaping load of salsa, and corn chips, all on an 8-inch sesame-seed bun-and anyone who eats the whole thing will be awarded a free T-shirt.

The monstrosity rings in at 4,800 calories-hardly a home run for your health and, if you ask us, a complete strikeout as a marketing ploy.

While this mammoth burger isn’t alone in the fatty food hall of fame, it might be the worst in the country. The most abhorrent burger at national chain restaurants weighs in at a mere 2,040 calories.................................................One last tip: Avoid any burger involving five patties.

Edited by Nitro