People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Below is another positive outside opinion regarding Grand Rapids.

I am sure there will be more good news to come for Grand Rapids. I would expect another national news story in the coming weeks.

http://modeshift.org/?p=214

On another note I got caught by the Amtrak train this morning and was amazed at how many people were riding on a Tuesday morning! The parking lot was packed and the seats were almost full.

I used to live across from the tracks about 5 years ago and my roommates an I would always snicker at the empty train going by.

Good to see the change a few years can make.

Below is another positive outside opinion regarding Grand Rapids.

I am sure there will be more good news to come for Grand Rapids. I would expect another national news story in the coming weeks.

http://modeshift.org/?p=214

On another note I got caught by the Amtrak train this morning and was amazed at how many people were riding on a Tuesday morning! The parking lot was packed and the seats were almost full.

I used to live across from the tracks about 5 years ago and my roommates an I would always snicker at the empty train going by.

Good to see the change a few years can make.

The two times I've tried to buy Amtrak GR->Chicago tickets it's been sold out. I called down to Kalamazoo and they were sold out too (both times).

By the way...that Modeshift article is great and all, but he's plagiarizing entire sentences from the NY Times article! Seriously, word-for-word. I'm surprised they don't have a google bot out there hunting stuff like that down for removal.

Edited by suydam

The two times I've tried to buy Amtrak GR->Chicago tickets it's been sold out. I called down to Kalamazoo and they were sold out too (both times).

By the way...that Modeshift article is great and all, but he's plagiarizing entire sentences from the NY Times article! Seriously, word-for-word. I'm surprised they don't have a google bot out there hunting stuff like that down for removal.

The writer of the NY Times article is Keith Schneider, same name as the guy who runs that blog modeshift. I believe it's the same guy. :dontknow:

The writer of the NY Times article is Keith Schneider, same name as the guy who runs that blog modeshift. I believe it's the same guy. :dontknow:

So we essentially got all excited here about an article a more or less local (Michigan) freelance writer managed to sell to the New York Times. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but the process I had pictured was the national editor of the Times somehow getting wind of rumors of big stuff happening in Grand Rapids then sending one of their crack staff reporters out to the hinterlands to find the scoop.

So we essentially got all excited here about an article a more or less local (Michigan) freelance writer managed to sell to the New York Times. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but the process I had pictured was the national editor of the Times somehow getting wind of rumors of big stuff happening in Grand Rapids then sending one of their crack staff reporters out to the hinterlands to find the scoop.

I don't think it diminishes the significance of it. It's the exposure that counts IMO. ;)

From mlui.org:

"A nationally known environmental writer and commentator, Keith founded the Institute in 1995 and served as its director until September 2000. Prior to the Institute's start, Keith worked for ten years as a national correspondent with the New York Times, specializing in environment, agriculture, energy, and land use reporting. He is a two-time winner of the George Polk Award for national reporting, one of the most distinguished prizes in American journalism. He began his new career as a public interest advocate in 1994 when he became chairman of the Michigan Communities Land Use Coalition, a tiny citizen organization founded in Springdale Township in Manistee County. ..."

ETA full disclosure: I know Keith; had an interview with MLUI a few years back. He impressed me then and he still does.

Edited by Veloise

Any who, lets talk about the spin off of just this article. Is this article really going to have any meaningful spin off -- maybe a few grins and high fives? I can imagine that someone who is interested in investment opportunities may "check out" Grand Rapids.

Edited by Rizzo

Any who, lets talk about the spin off of just this article. Is this article really going to have any meaningful spin off -- maybe a few grins and high fives? I can imagine that someone who is interested in investment opportunities may "check out" Grand Rapids.

Birgit Klohs of The Right Place mentioned the Boston article on Shelly Irwin's show today. I wasn't listening carefully, but certainly Keith's piece has also landed in front of TPTB. Various high- and low-level marketers (from Right Placers to local Realtors

Edited by Veloise

I'm sorry but I don't know what TPTB means?

Good to know that our organization continues to spread the good news.

The Powers That Be.

When the "Why can't we all be more like GR" piece hit the airwaves, TPTB passed it around City and County and everyplace else.

Actually, I think this guy was writing for the G. R. Press in the not too distant past. I'm not completely sure of that, but I know he's worked locally.

Actually, I think this guy was writing for the G. R. Press in the not too distant past. I'm not completely sure of that, but I know he's worked locally.

He writes for the Michigan Land Use Institute as well:

MLUI July 18th article

The more online publicity and exposure, the better IMO. You never know who might link to these articles and features.

• 3 months later...

Keith Schneider is writing about Grand Rapids in the NY Times again. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/business...ml?ref=business

Authorities on urban policy say that Salt Lake and other cities in the West, big Eastern ones like Boston and New York and smaller ones, too, like
Grand Rapids
, Mich., and Charleston, S.C., have become incubators of environmental ideas and programs, with tangible results. Jobs and income are increasing. Central city populations are stabilizing or growing. Businesses are cropping up.

Gotta love it!

Keith Schneider is writing about Grand Rapids in the NY Times again. :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/business...ml?ref=business

Authorities on urban policy say that Salt Lake and other cities in the West, big Eastern ones like Boston and New York and smaller ones, too, like
Grand Rapids
, Mich., and Charleston, S.C., have become incubators of environmental ideas and programs, with tangible results. Jobs and income are increasing. Central city populations are stabilizing or growing. Businesses are cropping up.

Gotta love it!

That is a nice mention for GR in the NYT. I guess being in the Eastern Time Zone qualifies GR as an 'Eastern city'.

More props for GR in the 11/26/07 Newsweek. The piece covers the end of the "Starchitect" (big name architects) and cites the Grand Rapids Art Museum (Kulapat Yantrasast), the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver (David Adjaye) and New York City's "New Museum" (Tokyo's SANAA firm) as examples great work being done by the new generation of global architects.

More props for GR in the 11/26/07 Newsweek. The piece covers the end of the "Starchitect" (big name architects) and cites the Grand Rapids Art Museum (Kulapat Yantrasast), the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver (David Adjaye) and New York City's "New Museum" (Tokyo's SANAA firm) as examples great work being done by the new generation of global architects.

Here's a link to the Newsweek article:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/71012

One the biggest things GR needs to do is sever its ties to a floundering state by establishing it own identity. All this good PR is exactly what GR needs to make that happen. So I say keep the good press coming.

I've got to believe the writer of this piece, from the Op-Ed page of today's New York Times, is using sarcasism to make his point about fixing our economy...but maybe he's serious ...in any event he's gone ahead and done the dis-service of linking GR to Flint, Detroit, and Lansing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/opinion/25lynch.html

I've got to believe the writer of this piece, from the Op-Ed page of today's New York Times, is using sarcasism to make his point about fixing our economy...but maybe he's serious ...in any event he's gone ahead and done the dis-service of linking GR to Flint, Detroit, and Lansing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/opinion/25lynch.html

"... So I say, come home, Erik Prince! Say yes to Michigan! We need you and your iron-pumping, shaved-head, sun-glassed, special-ops sorts back in Lansing and Detroit, Flint and Grand Rapids