People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

I heard on the radio this morning that Man V. Food's Adam Richman will be attending the Whitecaps' game on July 15th to eat a Fifth Third Burger. According to the MLive article, he's going to try to break the current record of 17 minutes.

I'm really pumped about this. This is one of my favorite shows on TV, and I've been dreaming of this since the series began. :shades: If you don't watch the show, you really should. It's great.

Has anyone else heard anything more? Like, are they going to tape a whole episode in GR? And if so, I wonder where else he'll go in town besides the ballpark? (For those who are unfamiliar, in each he usually visits several joints before going to the "challenge" venue)

Edited by RegalTDP

Well, in a given episode/city, for the two "non-challenge" establishments, he doesn't often go to places with mammoth-sized specialties. He usually just picks two places that are just good pig-out joints, really popular locally, and have proud owners willing to show off how they make their food. I could see Sandmann's being on the show. Or Schnitz. And what about Downtown Trini's in Sparta? Don't they have a gigantic burrito anyway?

I could see them branching out to the Lakeshore and K'Zoo for other ideas too.

Well, in a given episode/city, for the two "non-challenge" establishments, he doesn't often go to places with mammoth-sized specialties. He usually just picks two places that are just good pig-out joints, really popular locally, and have proud owners willing to show off how they make their food. I could see Sandmann's being on the show. Or Schnitz. And what about Downtown Trini's in Sparta? Don't they have a gigantic burrito anyway?

I could see them branching out to the Lakeshore and K'Zoo for other ideas too.

Yesterdog.... total pig-out joint.

That's where he should go.

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty fun to read the reviews on BeerAdvocate for Founders Brewing Co. ( http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/?view=beerfly )

I think a lot of locals take it for granted that the beer they make is considered some of the best in the country by a lot of people.

Nearly all the reviews are written by people from out of state or at least outside of GR. I read a lot of things like:

"This was a trip that was hours out of my way and it proved to be well worth it. I can't wait to go again. Hopefully next year, around DLD, if not before." -- someone from Tulsa, OK

"At last, and after going way out of my way to get there, I arrived at Founders." -- someone from Connecticut

"I haven't had too many beers from Founders, but the Breakfast Stout lured us there, and I'm glad it did!" -- someone from Cleveland

"When I found out I would travel to Grand Rapids on business, I was looking forward to visiting Founders." -- someone from Boston

"Founders and the Hopcat make Grand Rapids a place I wouldn't mind visiting again." -- someone from Wisconsin

"The guacamole was out of this world! Definitely worth stopping off at if you're anywhere around Grand Rapids. Heck, it's reason enough to drive into Michigan!" -- someone from Reading, Pennsylvania

"For any beer lover, Founders is a must. And if you're anywhere in western Michigan, it's definitely worth the drive." -- someone from Virginia

"All in all the new Founders is better than the old and easily one of the premier beer places not only in Michigan but in the US. A must see and do place when in GR." -- someone from Pennsylvania

"What can I say about Founders that hasnt been said. I find the entire line of Founders beers to be fandamtastic!... I was definately looking forward to a trip to Founders." ... "In short Founders is a fantastic brewery with a fantastic pub. I am looking forward to my next trip there." -- someone from Cincinnati

You get the picture. So get down there whenever you can, have a delicious pint (or half pint of KBS), and think of all the other beer lovers around the country who are envious that you live so close to such wonderful beer. :)

A few more quotes, just for fun:

"I'm in Grand Rapids for business and the first place I dragged my coworkers was Founders." -- someone from Agawam, Massachusetts

"This is a showcase for a fine brewer. If you are anywhere near Grand Rapids, stop here for a beer. This was the highlight of my weekend in Michigan." -- someone from Wauseon, OH

"Well this review will show how much of a beer geek I have become. My only plan for today was to drive 123 miles one way to Grand Rapids to visit Founders brewery." -- someone from Metro Detroit

"Founder's was a great stop on my trip and I am very glad I drove out of my way to get there. Great atmosphere and great beer." -- someone from Foster City, California

"Perfect. Its a 2 hour trip for me when I

Edited by fotoman311

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago Tribune sez: visit GR.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-t...0,3666736.story

Only a few minor missteps (where's that blasted GRF Library again? And I could swear it's less than two miles from the Market to DT).

V, you beat me posting this !

I noticed they also missed mentioning Amtrak service. It wasn't exactly the story I would have written, but the tone was nice enough. As they say, as long as the name is spelled right...

Chicago Tribune sez: visit GR.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-t...0,3666736.story

Only a few minor missteps (where's that blasted GRF Library again? And I could swear it's less than two miles from the Market to DT).

Wins most linked article in facebook history (at least in my network).

Here's another, USAToday:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...enix-mesa_N.htm