People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Pure Michigan's back, GR will be getting its own TV spot launched this year: Link (GR Business Journal)

That's great to hear! I wonder if they plan to broadcast it in the GR television market. During a seminar hosted by one of Pure Michigan's board of directors last year, I learned that one of their targets is people who once lived in Michigan, but have since moved elsewhere (the ads supposedly bring back memories of Michigan and inspire people to come back for a visit). Perhaps in addition to attracting visitors, a TV spot here would highlight our region's strengths to its own citizens. Does anyone else think that could work? Attracting tourists AND retaining residents?

Now that Pure Michigan's back, GR will be getting its own TV spot launched this year: Link (GR Business Journal)

"Experience GR�s Janet Korn said a TV spot promoting Grand Rapids could include video taken during the first ArtPrize."

and the pic is from last year's (the sequel), but who's counting?

ETA:

already in the can. Edited by Veloise

"A comedy festival in Michigan," no city name.

I've spotted a few AP write-ups around, all of which had GR in the dateline. Newsday even had some pictures.

My favorite bit of coverage goes to Yahoo! News, where the writer (an MI resident, no less) was clearly unaware that this is Laughfest's inaugural event...

With budget cuts, school closures, soaring gas prices, Republican hi-jinks in Wisconsin, crisis in Egypt and Libya, we need comic relief. Gilda's Laughfest Grand Rapids takes humor seriously. The main attraction is a chicken chucking (rubber that is) contest. This year, Gilda's Laughfest outdid itself.

That it did, my friend. That it did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two separate accolades for GR appeared in the Freep today:

-A write-up of the Medical Mile

-An editorial praising the transit millage's passing

In the editorial:

Grand Rapids and its core suburbs -- Kentwood, Wyoming, East Grand Rapids, Grandville and Walker -- generally understand that the region's residents will rise or fall together.

...Not exactly.whistling.gif Seen the map breaking down votes by precinct?

On an unrelated note, it's refreshing to know that their commenters tend to be just as silly as MLive's...

• 3 weeks later...

And another new restaurant appears... Bagger Dave's at Kraft and 28th. I've never heard of them before today, anyone else know about them?

Diversified Restaurant Holdings, Inc., the owner/operator and franchisor of the unique, full-service, ultra-casual restaurant and bar Bagger Dave’s Legendary Burger Tavern and a leading franchisee for Buffalo Wild Wings, announced they have signed an agreement to purchase the land and building of a former Big Boy restaurant located at 2817 Kraft Avenue Cascade Township, MI. The property is on the southwest corner of Kraft Ave and 28th St. SE across the street from a Crowne Plaza Hotel, a Meijer and in close proximity to other popular retail outlets. The restaurant plans to open at the end of 2011.

Link to original story

Edited by trongrr

Here's a Businessinsider.com blog covering some of the faces in the GR Lipdub.

http://www.businessi...who-2011-5?op=1

Definitely helped fill in some info on faces I didn't know.

I couldn't find a link to this blog anywhere on the expansive main page of the site today. I had seen a link on Facebook earlier, but tonight I had to search for it.

EDIT:

Also there was an NPR story:

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/06/listen_to_todays_national_publ.html

and accompanying blog published today.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/06/01/136816940/the-grand-rapids-lip-dub-a-giant-street-party-set-to-music

The NPR commenters sure know how to make a Grand Rapidian feel good about their city. Here's a sampling of the overwhelmingly positive comments:

"I want to move to Grand Rapids now!"

"Way to go Grand Rapids! I cannot conceive a better way to show that this town is alive and well!"

"On my local network, people have said, thos the lip dub is well done, THE COMPLETE LACK OF ANY AUTHENTIC ALTERNATIVE CULTURE IN THE PERFORMERS would have caused Don Mc Lean to laugh bitterly"

"The town looks fabulous to me. Congratulations to Bliss and Erickson and everyone who participated. One big reason to love Michigan even more."

"This restores my faith in humanity for a while. Thanks :)"

Edited by fotoman311

It's interesting how many local people I know who don't like it, but people who don't live here apparently do. There may be some local backlash against the recent uprising of social media "celebrities."

I've found a lot of local people who I think are just overanalyzing the video, instead of just trying to enjoy it as it is. Could certain things have gone better? YES!! Should he have included La Grande Vitesse?? YES!! Does Rob Bliss like the attention he's getting? YES!! But he's also getting positive attention for Grand Rapids on a national level. Those who thought this was going to be a dud that went nowhere were obviously quite mistaken. I'm not saying Bliss should be above being critiqued, just that he managed to accomplish something good for our community by making this lipdub.

I have enjoyed the end result quite a bit. I think it's pretty awesome!

Edited by fotoman311

I've found a lot of local people who I think are just overanalyzing the video, instead of just trying to enjoy it as it is. Could certain things have gone better? YES!! Should he have included La Grande Vitesse?? YES!! Does Rob Bliss like the attention he's getting? YES!! But he's also getting positive attention for Grand Rapids on a national level. Those who thought this was going to be a dud that went nowhere were obviously quite mistaken. I'm not saying Bliss should be above being critiqued, just that he managed to accomplish something good for our community by making this lipdub.

I have enjoyed the end result quite a bit. I think it's pretty awesome!

I think if people don't like it, then they should be allowed to not like it. And I know people who downright hate it (but are keeping their mouth's shut because they don't want to come out publicly against it). :D Hate might be a strong word; strongly dislike.

I think if people don't like it, then they should be allowed to not like it. And I know people who downright hate it (but are keeping their mouth's shut because they don't want to come out publicly against it). :D Hate might be a strong word; strongly dislike.

Why would anyone even bother to "hate" or "strongly dislike" such an effort?. It's just something to watch, for some of us, something fun to watch. You may think someone else could have done better, but it's just a video with happy people lipsynching and dancing around downtown GR. It's not a political piece or something filled with bad feelings or idiotic talk and it's a catchy tune. Maybe I like it because the song was popular way back in the day when I was in high school and I remember singing along with it in the company of my friends and discussing whether it was about the death of Buddy Holly or President Kennedy.

In other words, "lighten up"!

Why would anyone even bother to "hate" or "strongly dislike" such an effort?. It's just something to watch, for some of us, something fun to watch. You may think someone else could have done better, but it's just a video with happy people lipsynching and dancing around downtown GR. It's not a political piece or something filled with bad feelings or idiotic talk and it's a catchy tune. Maybe I like it because the song was popular way back in the day when I was in high school and I remember singing along with it in the company of my friends and discussing whether it was about the death of Buddy Holly or President Kennedy.

In other words, "lighten up"!

I'm about as lightened/laid back as they come most of the time, but that won't change my opinion of said video.

OK, this was just too funny not to post. An article about South Bend's reaction to the lipdub (which was also named as a "dying" city). All of the city leader talking heads weigh in, but leave it to a gallery owner to say how it really it is in South Bend.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/sbt-hit-video-gets-south-bend-city-leaders-thinking-20110607,0,535479.htmlstory

“You look at that Grand Rapids video and see all those buildings and nice areas. Well we’ve done nothing but tear everything down the last 40 years, so all we have our empty lots,” she said. “What do we showcase? Do you just run around the Morris all day? We don’t have much to showcase, and that’s a little bit why South Bend is as lame as it is, and it is.”

Oh. SNAP!

OK, this was just too funny not to post. An article about South Bend's reaction to the lipdub (which was also named as a "dying" city). All of the city leader talking heads weigh in, but leave it to a gallery owner to say how it really it is in South Bend.

http://www.southbend...35479.htmlstory

“You look at that Grand Rapids video and see all those buildings and nice areas. Well we’ve done nothing but tear everything down the last 40 years, so all we have our empty lots,” she said. “What do we showcase? Do you just run around the Morris all day? We don’t have much to showcase, and that’s a little bit why South Bend is as lame as it is, and it is.”

It's the lipdub that won't die. It's up to 3.2 million views. (I know, I know) Richard Florida has about 130,000 followers on Twitter...at least half of whom I would think are real people that might click the link and read about Grand Rapids.

http://twitter.com/#!/Richard_Florida/status/80732413310926848

In the linked article at the Infrastructurist, there is an interesting quote:

This under-18 measurement is highly problematic – a recent USA Today analysis of the 2010 census found that 95% of U.S. counties lost population in the under-18 demographic. Overall, the under-18 population remained relatively static despite an overall 9.7% growth in total U.S. population. Households with children dropped from 36% in 2000 to 33.5% in 2010. To find the areas that have gained population in the under-18 group, “all you have to do is look for Latino immigrants. They are the only group in the U.S. that is producing children above replacement rates” said Kevin Stolarick, Research Director for the Martin Prosperity Institute in Toronto.

The last 3 paragraphs talk exclusively about Grand Rapids, mostly about Bliss' events (I know, I know).