People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Folks, folks: it's only Gawker.  Who cares.

I thought the art forum piece was a lot more fairminded.  At least the criticisms didn't really tell us anything we don't already know.

I just think it's funny the Art Prize PR team tried to curate a press junket, and it backfired.  In fact, I find that hilarious.  Shame on Art Prize for trying to do that.  It just reeks of desperation for "big-city" approval that we don't even need in the first place.  We'll always be setting ourselves up for failure the more we try to pander to so-called "coastal elites," however one defines that term.

On the other hand, the organizers of Michigan House during AP invited a bunch of bloggers to come visit during ArtPrize and write about it. Nothing fancy, just a guided tour of many of GR's epicurean delights. The result was astounding.

If you go down to the bottom of this one, you can see all the links to all the blogs and Instragram accounts:

http://sidewalkready.com/2015/10/middle-west-and-michigan-house-a-recap/

Thank you for this!  I thought these blog posts were incredible.  Worth reading in full.  THAT'S how you sell the community!

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

I've just about had it with these  types. Every year it's the same snotty put-downs of ArtPrize by the same losers. The kind that like to call themselves "liberals" or "progressives". They are just intolerant jerks that seek to just crap on events like this and Grand Rapids as a whole. Why? Because they have to walk around people that live a different way than they? I guess the type of diversity they claim to crave doesn't include people here.

And just what do they find so distasteful about the entries at ArtPrize? They talk about them as if the stuff you find in some dank Brooklyn basement turned into a "hip" gallery has something more impressive? Open up a copy of Art in America or Artfourm magazine and you will find stuff you woulds swear was an ArtPrize entry. Like see the image below. THAT is in an actual NYC gallery. At Art Prize it would be called trash by these guys.

I was going to say something, but you pretty much covered it.  This wasn't a piece written by an open-minded progressive.  It was a piece written by a closed-minded jerk whose mindset can be described as follows:  "Your perceived intolerance offends me, therefore, I shall detest you with every fiber of my being and all that is associated with you."  Thinking about it too long makes your brain hurt.

So far as the quality of entries at ArtPrize, me'n Moskie probably agree that they are mostly crap.  Where we probably diverge is that I tend to think the public does successfully identify pieces that involve significant artistic talent and skill, whereas the critics inevitably fall in love with a lot of the crap.  I plan next year to build in a barn somewhere ship in from New York a Port-A-Potty that some buddies and I a gay homeless guy I know painted pink, covered in feces on the outside, filled with flowers on the inside, and staffed by a guy in a monkey suit wearing a rainbow flag turban and making obscene noises.  It'll be a commentary on some sort of deep social struggle.  Art critics and dudes like Moskowhatever will eat that sort of seriously deep stuff right on up.  Should bring serious cred to Artprize.  

• Like 4

Perhaps they'll be more kind towards the concept when they visit ArtPrize in Dallas.  It's a bigger city and that seems to be important for some reason.

It's possible, but Dallas is stigmatized as conservative and being Texan just as bad as GR is.  There's just as good a chance it will just represent a larger target to bash.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen on reddit.

The only thing I don't like about that video is how much footage of Grand Haven they show. GH is not GR. It's certainly an amenity that GRapidians enjoy, but it's not even close to the city of GR (which this video highlights)

Article in Metropolis Mag:

http://www.metropolismag.com/Point-of-View/November-2015/Urban-Placemaking-Celebrated-at-RBA-Award-Events-in-Baltimore-Grand-Rapids-and-Olympia/

• Like 1

Isn't GH a part of the GR MSA?

Yes, but the video is not about West Michigan or the GR MSA, it's clearly a video about the City of Grand Rapids and the people who live HERE. If you had never been here before, you would think we had a lighthouse near downtown. 

Why don't they show any shots of Holland or Saugatuck? 

At least it's not all white people like some of the other past promo videos. :) 

Edited by GRDadof3
  • Like 1

Yes, but the video is not about West Michigan or the GR MSA, it's clearly a video about the City of Grand Rapids and the people who live HERE. If you had never been here before, you would think we had a lighthouse near downtown. 

Why don't they show any shots of Holland or Saugatuck? 

At least it's not all white people like some of the other past promo videos. :) 

I don't know - I don't think it's oversaturated with GH shots, and I think we'd all agree that the Lakeshore is part of Grand Rapids residents DNA. I think it's really well done. They may have overused the bicyclists and parkour shots. What are we, Portland? haha

I don't know - I don't think it's oversaturated with GH shots, and I think we'd all agree that the Lakeshore is part of Grand Rapids residents DNA. I think it's really well done. They may have overused the bicyclists and parkour shots. What are we, Portland? haha

We may all agree, but does Grand Haven agree? That's the point. :)  I know that there was another video of Grand Rapids that was done for The Right Place maybe (?) and the lakeshore chambers/groups were not at all happy that it showed so much of the lakeshore in a "Grand Rapids" video. 

It's all about moderation. 

Edited by GRDadof3

I lived in GH for the better part of a decade; GH doesn't agree with anything. Most of the city officials are stuck in the 50s and think GH is some remote hidden secret that's THEIR'S. 

I have family who lives in GH and they REFUSE to move back to GR or even visit unless they absolutely have to.

I know, I've heard Grand Haven and Spring Lake people say "Grand Rapids pours its sewage down the river onto our beach and then they use our pictures to sell their city."  Something along those lines..

Now that I've been a lakeshore guy for almost three years (really?), most people here in SL seem positive about GR.  At least the people in my demographic  tend to think of it as the "big city" and ask where they should eat, where to go, etc.  Of course, I think of myself as a GR guy who happens to live by the lake.  =)  There's definitely the crew that dislikes GR, though.  Just read the GH Tribune. =)

I drive to Grand Haven everyday from Grand Rapids and think nothing of it.  It's amazing to me how psychologically separated from  Grand Rapids the lakeshore natives are.  A 30 mile commute in any major metro is routine, but it's like a days journey for them and they know very little about it.  They can be critical all they want, but they are fooling themselves if they don't think the momentum they are experiencing in Ottawa County's lakeshore communities isn't tied to whats happening in Grand Rapids.  it's like momentum by proxy.

9 hours ago, MJLO said:

I drive to Grand Haven everyday from Grand Rapids and think nothing of it.  It's amazing to me how psychologically separated from  Grand Rapids the lakeshore natives are.  A 30 mile commute in any major metro is routine, but it's like a days journey for them and they know very little about it.  They can be critical all they want, but they are fooling themselves if they don't think the momentum they are experiencing in Ottawa County's lakeshore communities isn't tied to whats happening in Grand Rapids.  it's like momentum by proxy.

I've heard lakeshore people, mostly Hollanders, make comments that Grand Rapids owes its momentum to Holland and Ottawa County. Or older Hollanders call Grand Rapids "sin city." Not trying to start a turf war but the feeling is there.