Jump to content

People talking about Grand Rapids


Libertarian

Recommended Posts

That is one law that needs to go away. Nearly everywhere else in the country we just recycle cans and bottles.  Here I have to remember which store I bought them at, and have them clanking around in the car and return them to multiple stores. Then invariably the machine still doesn't recognize all the bottles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

24 minutes ago, temporary.name said:

This information is incorrect. 

 

Stores will accept cans bought at other stores if the accepting store ALSO sells that brand. 

 

This law is very good and should remain as long as the ten cent deposit does.

Yes, you are correct. I didn't word that correctly. I meant to say brand. 

Every time I take bottles and cans back to Meijer there's a big collection of perfectly returnable bottles and cans lined up on the sill, that Meijer won't take because they don't sell that brand. 

Surprised that homeless people don't do a sweep through there a couple times a day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2015, 10:21:53, GRDadof3 said:

Every time I take bottles and cans back to Meijer there's a big collection of perfectly returnable bottles and cans lined up on the sill, that Meijer won't take because they don't sell that brand. 

Surprised that homeless people don't do a sweep through there a couple times a day. 

ROI.

Riding the bus to Meijer's, $1.75 each way.

Are there 40 bottles and cans? Where can they be returned? How much of a bus ride would it be to find each unique retailer? Guessing that the unique brands are not across the parking lot from Uncle Fred's.
(I have a couple of Rite Aid-branded pop bottles lingering, since I don't frequent that brand and I'm not aware of where one would be on my regular errand routes.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2015, 10:21:53, GRDadof3 said:

 

Yes, you are correct. I didn't word that correctly. I meant to say brand. 

Every time I take bottles and cans back to Meijer there's a big collection of perfectly returnable bottles and cans lined up on the sill, that Meijer won't take because they don't sell that brand. 

Surprised that homeless people don't do a sweep through there a couple times a day. 

I sometimes see a guy at the Knapp Meijer(s) that looks through the "trash" bins in the bottle return and takes those with him to return somewhere else. Likely not homeless, but he must make a killing returning them to some other store.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Veloise said:

ROI.

Riding the bus to Meijer's, $1.75 each way.

Are there 40 bottles and cans? Where can they be returned? How much of a bus ride would it be to find each unique retailer? Guessing that the unique brands are not across the parking lot from Uncle Fred's.
(I have a couple of Rite Aid-branded pop bottles lingering, since I don't frequent that brand and I'm not aware of where one would be on my regular errand routes.)

There are homeless people by every Meijer in town, they stand out on the intersections begging for money. They claim to be homeless, anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Another list this week, but I have to say I can't find where GR shows up on the Forbes article (or where the entire list is). The links that say "Full list" take you to a slideshow of the top 15 or so. 

http://www.grbj.com/articles/84296-grand-rapids-ranks-among-next-boomtowns-in-us

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2016/01/14/americas-next-boom-towns/#47a60641f0dd2157119af0dd

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I wondered who they paid to be I that list. That place is rather "meh". I guess there is a list for everybody!

Joe

Granted I've never had it, and I'm sure it's a pretty good sandwich, but my first thought was "That does not look like the #1 sandwich."

And is that iceberg lettuce?  Seriously??  Nothing rated #1 in anything should ever have iceberg lettuce.  Even Chick-Fil-A uses romaine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I wondered who they paid to be I that list. That place is rather "meh". I guess there is a list for everybody!

Joe

Oh, that place. A "meh" is even stretching it a bit. That place sucks. The ambience is terrible, and the food seemed like warmed up Gorden Food Service to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Grand Rapids has been added to On the Grid, an international website curated by "designers" featuring many of the types of places that urbanites like:

http://www.onthegrid.city/

I'd love to see the Grand Rapids section grow more. Sounds like the GR curators are working on it:

http://fox17online.com/2016/01/24/native-grand-rapids-designers-put-local-businesses-on-the-grid/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Grand Rapids has been added to On the Grid, an international website curated by "designers" featuring many of the types of places that urbanites like:

http://www.onthegrid.city/

I'd love to see the Grand Rapids section grow more. Sounds like the GR curators are working on it:

http://fox17online.com/2016/01/24/native-grand-rapids-designers-put-local-businesses-on-the-grid/

 

 

My inner designer is cringing really hard.

http://www.onthegrid.city/grand-rapids/eastown/

Orange and blue?! Did someone fail color theory in their foundation art program?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, temporary.name said:

"Designers" designed that website? It's horrid. 

 

I feel like I'm in South Park now deciding whether to go to Shi Tpa Town or SodoSopa

I don't know whether designers "designed" the website, but designers at creative firms (it sounds like) populate the sections with photos and descriptions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.