People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

I'd be more concerned about the comments of "Geoff" then the foreclosure stats., and I didn't see anything about a 80-90% abandon rate in GR, only on Broadway Ave. (which probably IS correct.)

I've ridden down that section of Broadway...it didn't seem as bleak as he's painted it to me. And the comparison to Washington, DC is a bunch of crap. I'm sure there are large houses in neglected neighborhoods in DC that don't cost $1 million. Not only is he comparing two completely different real estate markets, but he's not even comparing similar neighborhoods.

"This 'cow meat' sells for only .99 on a bun in a McDonald's in Grand Rapids, but the SAME 'cow meat' sells for $60 at such and such five star restaurant in Washington, DC"

I do think it was exciting that they packed 15,000 people in there and still had 1,000 waiting outside. I also found it amusing watching the WZZM coverage of it and some of the people that they had quotes from.

Edited by fotoman311

Yeah, "Geoff" comments...but, well like most media quotes, we don't ever get context so they can make it sound as good or bad as they want. And yeah, the % was just my interpretation on it...it doesn't really give any numbers or anything...just that there were a LOT of foreclosures... We have some, but we're also #8 for best home market (apparently!) so the article just seemed a little unfair or biased or well, just not the kind of press we like to get. :)

Edited by dodgeboy11

Yeah, "Geoff" comments...but, well like most media quotes, we don't ever get context so they can make it sound as good or bad as they want. And yeah, the % was just my interpretation on it...it doesn't really give any numbers or anything...just that there were a LOT of foreclosures... We have some, but we're also #8 for best home market (apparently!) so the article just seemed a little unfair or biased or well, just not the kind of press we like to get. :)

The writer was just trying to frame his article, pointing out the "sad state of the U.S. economy, Grand Rapids being ground zero", and here come the Democrats riding into town trying to connect with out-of-work manufacturing folk. That's all. The other 10,000 articles were just regurgitated AP wording, which weren't positive or negative toward GR.

The writer was just trying to frame his article, pointing out the "sad state of the U.S. economy, Grand Rapids being ground zero", and here come the Democrats riding into town trying to connect with out-of-work manufacturing folk. That's all. The other 10,000 articles were just regurgitated AP wording, which weren't positive or negative toward GR.

I would consider this pretty negative:

"To sample the discontent I went to Grand Rapids, a city as unexciting as its most famous son, the late Gerald Ford. "

I would consider this pretty negative:

"To sample the discontent I went to Grand Rapids, a city as unexciting as its most famous son, the late Gerald Ford. "

It's from a writer from the BBC normally stationed in Washington D.C, who travels the country on the campaign trail. Grand Rapids is definitely unexciting compared to that. Don't fret too much about it.

It's from a writer from the BBC normally stationed in Washington D.C, who travels the country on the campaign trail. Grand Rapids is definitely unexciting compared to that. Don't fret too much about it.

Yes, if only every reader was going to put those words into THAT context. That would be fantastic.

A transcontinental racing event known as the "Fireball Run" is scheduled to end in Grand Rapids the first weekend of October. I decided to mention it in this thread because it could, potentially, generate some additional media exposure for Grand Rapids. Here are a couple of links and a video:

GR Press article

Fireball Run website

Video featuring Mayor Heartwell:

A transcontinental racing event known as the "Fireball Run" is scheduled to end in Grand Rapids the first weekend of October. I decided to mention it in this thread because it could, potentially, generate some additional media exposure for Grand Rapids. Here are a couple of links and a video:

as cool as it is to see Mayor Heartwell in a promotional video.. I have to say that his on-screen presence is a little weak... oh well

Edited by joshleo

as cool as it is to see Mayor Heartwell in a promotional video.. I have to say that his on-screen presence is a little weak... oh well

Blame the talking head storyboard. (Probably they used him because he works cheaper than the NASCRAP -- or whatever -- crowd.)

Heartwell did look kinda goofy... But, has GR ever had a mayor who worked so hard for GR? (It may have I'm just not old enough to know :) )

Give the gvsu guy the benefit of the doubt . . . . his attention was rightfully and probably buried in his books when Heartwell's mentor and predecessor - former "GRMayor" John Logie was mayor. That guy was the longest serving mayor in GR history - and one of it's biggest boosters and hardest workers. Mayor Heartwell is definitely from the same mold - THANK GOD.

Edited by metrogrkid

Heartwell did look kinda goofy... But, has GR ever had a mayor who worked so hard for GR? (It may have I'm just not old enough to know :) )

In Heartwell's defense, the video spot and script were WAY too long, and the wording (especially about the great things in Grand Rapids), was too complicated.

It should have been a minute long tops. I mean, it is about a RACE after all. Haven't local people realized they should run everything past the "Urban Planet Focus Group" before going live? :stop::)

... former "GRMayor" John Logie was mayor. That guy was the longest serving mayor in GR history - and one of it's biggest boosters and hardest workers. Mayor Heartwell is definitely from the same mold - THANK GOD.

must...resist...urge to comment....

[former City of Detroit staffer]

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this would be pushing the whole national/internation exposure thing, but I was just reading about the new $350,000 Bentley Brooklands in Vol. 54 number 2 of Car and Driver Magazine, and was taken aback when I read the following: "Your average Brooklands buyer owns eight automobiles and is worth $30 million...Alas, where to drive a car that so boldly proclaims 'I am so ******* rich'? Simple: to the Grand Rapids Art Museum."

I had to read it three times to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me, but the entire test drive which was recounted in the magazine took place on the streets of Grand Rapids. Turns out, the journalist was riding with Andy Worhol, whose art exhibit was featured at the GRAM.