People talking about Grand Rapids

Libertarian

Not sure if this is good or bad for us:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Grand Rapids is in the center of a series of global demonstrations against Starbucks after a local employee was fired for union activity.

The July 5th protests focus on the firing of barista Cole Dorsey because of union activity. This firing comes in the midst of Unfair Labor Practice investigation by the National Labor Resources Board against Grand Rapids' Starbucks.

The protests will take place in Argentina, Chile, the British Isles, Italy, Japan, Norway, Serbia, Poland, Slovakia, 4 cities in Spain, 6 cities in Germany. In the US: Phoenix, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8620744

I suppose the Spirit of Solidarity means nothing to Starbucks. Doesn't sound like a protest will be held at the downtown Starbucks, but rather at one near 28th & E Beltline.

Edited by tSlater

I went and graduated with Cole back in 99. How interesting but actually considering what I know of him back then this is nothing new for him. BTW I think the problem with pay is not so much the starting but how raises are handed out. Thats what bugs a lot of people in the service industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly the entire piece reads like a 6th grader's essay on Grand Rapids.

"...And with close to 200,000 residents in the Grand Rapids area alone." Riiight. Written by an expert.

"Grand Rapids also has its own community college, which has grown rapidly over the last decade and is a popular place for matriculating students. The school district is one of the best in Michigan and prides itself on its excellent education." I know it's not fashionable to bash GRPS... but it's not realistic to refer to it as one of the best in Michigan. Come on.

We're showing up on lists again, people :camera:

Top 100 Places to Relocate to In America 2008

You can even add GR pictures . . . . and they need some good current skyline pics BADLY. I know you all are up to the challenge. CHARGE!

No offense to you metrogrkid, but that site appears to be a poorly put together real estate site. And whoever wrote that synopsis for GR is an imbecile. Binder Park Zoo? 200,000 residents in the Grand Rapids area? "...an Art Gallery that features work by local artists"? School district is one of the best in Michigan? And why would Grand Rapids having "its own community college" be a better selling point than the 7 or 8 other colleges in the GR area? Eeeesh.

No offense to you metrogrkid, but that site is a joke. It appears to be just a poorly put together real estate site. And whoever wrote that synopsis for GR is an imbecile. Binder Park Zoo? 200,000 residents in the Grand Rapids area? "...an Art Gallery that features work by local artists"? School district is one of the best in Michigan? And why would Grand Rapids having "its own community college" be a better selling point than the 7 or 8 other colleges in the GR area? Eeeesh.

:( That's a downer. Thanks for the heads up.

:( That's a downer. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry. Didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Here's some good national exposure. In the Business Journal is a story about the large "conference for religious meeting planners" that is planned for Devos Place this coming January, that could result in a huge jump in convention business for GR. Here was some of the feedback from the RMCA board after they visited recently:

“As I arrived in Grand Rapids, what struck me was the fantastic combination of charm and choice. How can a meeting planner not fall in love with the city’s beautiful ambiance and the choices for conducting meetings? The more you see, the more you want to see,” said Harry Schmidt, board member and president of Christian Life College, in a release.

“Grand Rapids has a defined excellence not found in many other places. I was impressed by both the city and the welcoming community of people I met. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit,” added Rev. Thomas Jackson, RMCA board president.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...tion+Basket.htm

This is more Michigan in general but when I was in Budapest, Prague, Vienna and parts of Germany this past June...I saw the Jeff Daniels commercials for Michigan all of the time on CNN International. I even saw a quick blip about the Lake Michigan lake shore on BBC...but missed most of it.

My wife and I were in Madrid in March and saw the Michigan commercials there as well.

I'm new to the forums, and in the middle east now (posting from the sunny desert of Qatar), but my heart (as well as my wife) are in Grand Rapids.

- Zhahn Doe

http://marhaban-qatar.blogspot.com/

My wife and I were in Madrid in March and saw the Michigan commercials there as well.

I'm new to the forums, and in the middle east now (posting from the sunny desert of Qatar), but my heart (as well as my wife) are in Grand Rapids.

- Zhahn Doe

http://marhaban-qatar.blogspot.com/

they are still getting heavy play on the european version of CNBC also.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayor Heartwell is going to be in the hot-seat, testifying before the Senate Judiciary Hearing in Washington regarding the recently passed Great Lakes Compact:

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.asp...61&catid=48

Will probably be on C-Span tomorrow.

Wow, this really is an issue where we can forcibly say, "if you want Great Lakes water, move your @$# here and contribute to our region!" :thumbsup:

Edited by metrogrkid

Bruce Heys Builders, a custom home builder out of the Ada area (and currently working on the RiverHouse) is being featured on an episode of "Flip That House" 8:30 PM on Saturday night on TLC. This episode focuses on one of Bruce's home renovations in Hurricane Katrina-stricken New Orleans. Check it out - I think there is a replay at 10:30 Saturday as well as 8:30 Sunday morning.

• 2 weeks later...

GR was featured on ABC or NBC world news tonight last week, can't remember which...about pharmacies not carrying birth control or condoms. They featured Kay Pharmacy and he won't carry either. Saw it down here in Miami.

Well that's just silly.

Detroit and Toledo are talking about GR this week

Arena proves catalyst for downtown's revival

Trust is key ingredient in sharing benefits of regionalism

(urban growth boundary?)

Reality TV show set to film in Grand Rapids fire station

When I was riding home today around 5:45 I saw a low flying helicopter (low enough it could have nearly been landing on the JW Marriott) heading north up the Grand River as I was riding across the Fulton St. Bridge. Now, I wonder if it wasn't a film crew shooting for this pilot show.

When I was riding home today around 5:45 I saw a low flying helicopter (low enough it could have nearly been landing on the JW Marriott) heading north up the Grand River as I was riding across the Fulton St. Bridge. Now, I wonder if it wasn't a film crew shooting for this pilot show.

Convention and Visitor's Bureau promo video shoot

GR was featured on ABC or NBC world news tonight last week, can't remember which...about pharmacies not carrying birth control or condoms. They featured Kay Pharmacy and he won't carry either. Saw it down here in Miami.

Well, that's the flip side of having a local, family-owned pharmacy instead of corporate-owned drug store. The owners of Kay don't have to sacrifice their fundamental beliefs for a few dollars of profit. They are actually able to run their business based on personal convictions. (How refreshing.) As devout Catholics they won't promote the practice of birth control. If that makes GR seem like a national joke to the swells in Miami and New York, so be it.