Spectrum Health Blodgett Campus expansion

wayneoh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright. Let me get out my list of current GR Health Care growth. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

1. New Devos Children's Hospital: under construction

2. VAI phase II: under construction

3. Spectrum's new cancer center: under construction

4. Medical towers: under construction

5. Woman's health clinic: under construction

6. MSU med school: pending

7. St. Mary's replacement of old Xavior Hall: under construction

8. St Mary's total campus redesign and expansion: proposed

9. Metro Health Village: under construction

And now 10. Spectrum's Blodgett Campus expansion: announced

Oh let's not forget what has already transpired up to this point such as VAI phase I, Fred Meijer Heart Center, etc.

I'm now beginning to wonder if the entire GR metro is going to become one gigantic hospital. :rolleyes:

Anyway Growth is growth and West Michigan needs it.

Alright. Let me get out my list of current GR Health Care growth. (Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

1. New Devos Children's Hospital: under construction

2. VAI phase II: under construction

3. Spectrum's new cancer center: under construction

4. Medical towers: under construction

5. Woman's health clinic: under construction

6. MSU med school: pending

7. St. Mary's replacement of old Xavior Hall: under construction

8. St Mary's total campus redesign and expansion: proposed

9. Metro Health Village: under construction

And now 10. Spectrum's Blodgett Campus expansion: announced

Oh let's not forget what has already transpired up to this point such as VAI phase I, Fred Meijer Heart Center, etc.

I'm now beginning to wonder if the entire GR metro is going to become one gigantic hospital. :rolleyes:

Anyway Growth is growth and West Michigan needs it.

There's also St Mary's campus at Byron Center and M-6 (across the highway from Metro's Health Village), a bunch of new medical office buildings on the East Beltline, and a new Metro or St Mary's surgical center going up at 4 Mile and East Beltline (right now).

FYI - All Hospitals have been renamed ___ Hospital instead of ___ Campus

Spectrum Health leadership announced today that it will be making a $98 million investment over the next three years at Blodgett Hospital. The project will include 284 private rooms, construction of a five-story addition, as well as renovation of existing patient care areas, operating rooms and public spaces.

Following are key points regarding the Blodgett investment:

• The project will revitalize the facility as a leading community/teaching hospital.

• The investment will allow Spectrum Health to meet increases in patient volume in the coming years.

• Blodgett complements the services offered at Butterworth. Combined, the two provide the broadest scope of clinical services in the area.

• Spectrum Health is not adding beds to Blodgett. Rather we are repurposing the space for today’s technology and patient care needs. Private rooms have become a patient expectation rather than a patient luxury.

• This investment underscores our commitment to Blodgett and its legacy of quality care.

Jim Wilson, president, Blodgett Hospital, will be leading this construction and renovation project. We look forward to building on the tradition of excellence that has always been a hallmark of Blodgett.

Blodgett Expansion Q&A

With all the building going on at the Butterworth Campus, how can you justify expansion at Blodgett?

There has been steady growth in our patient volumes since the first year of the merger. Our research and projections show that we are going to need both hospitals fully operational to meet the needs of a growing population and aging baby boomers.

How many beds is this project adding to Blodgett?

This project does not add additional beds to Blodgett. It will allow us to use existing beds efficiently and in a manner that benefits patients and physician providers. Our objective is to prepare for anticipated increases in patient volume while creating an environment that meets the needs of patients. This requires a significant investment in new technology and upgraded infrastructure as well as a transition to private rooms.

If you’re not adding new beds, then why do you need to expand?

The addition is only one part of the plan. The other part of the plan involves renovation of the existing hospital and part of that building is approaching 100 years old. It needs significant renovations and improvements to its infrastructure. When the project is complete all inpatients will be cared for in private rooms, which help the recovery process and are cited as an important benefit for patients and families.

Wouldn’t it be possible to renovate Blodgett without spending $98 million?

Blodgett needs major, invasive surgery for a long-term cure and not a band-aid for the short term. The facility is almost 100 years old. We are taking steps to do this as efficiently as possible. The new construction and renovation will allow Blodgett to be a modern facility and key medical resource for the southeast side of Grand Rapids for years to come.

Will there be a capital campaign for this project?

No, there is no capital campaign planned for this project. However, we anticipate there will be people interested in investing in Blodgett along with us.

Are you planning to bring services back to Blodgett such as pediatrics and obstetrics?

We have consolidated several services at both Butterworth and Blodgett (e.g., joint replacement, bariatric). There are great benefits in terms of leveraging best practices and standardizing patient care. We do not plan to move services back to Blodgett that have been consolidated at Butterworth.

<a name="OLE_LINK5">Why are you opening a cath lab at Blodgett when heart services have been consolidated at the Meijer Heart Center?

We have determined that having a cath lab for diagnostic purposes at Blodgett is important for inpatients that need tests. Open heart surgery and other heart-related services will continue to be provided at the Meijer Heart Center.

When will overall construction begin?

There is still design work that needs to be completed for the project. However, we expect renovation of the nursing units to begin as early as this fall. Construction of the addition will likely begin next spring/summer.

When will overall construction begin?

There is still design work that needs to be completed for the project. However, we expect renovation of the nursing units to begin as early as this fall. Construction of the addition will likely begin next spring/summer.

I think some of it is meant to fill the void left by Metro leaving that area ( EGR ) A renovation of Blodgett to all private rooms makes it an attractive destination to baby boomers with money. Metro also lost millions of dollars on SE side residents without insurance...so now they've moved to the $uburb$ and Blodgett is likely going to see an increase in ER visits, and a subsequent loss of money on uninsured patients. I think it's a good investment for the community.

I'm not following. Why would Spectrum expand the Blodgett Campus if they are going to loss money from taking on the uninsured left behind by Metro? :(

I think some of it is meant to fill the void left by Metro leaving that area ( EGR ) A renovation of Blodgett to all private rooms makes it an attractive destination to baby boomers with money. Metro also lost millions of dollars on SE side residents without insurance...so now they've moved to the $uburb$ and Blodgett is likely going to see an increase in ER visits, and a subsequent loss of money on uninsured patients. I think it's a good investment for the community.

• 6 months later...

From what it sounds like Spectrum has setup their Hospitals in a fashion that does several things. First is Butterworth. That is for ER first and foremost. It also has associated services that would be required by ER patients that dont have to move to a diffrent hospital. The Cancer Center is going up accross the street and with its quick access to the ER it allows quicker service. As for Heart Center next to the ER no discussion there. For the childrens hospital well thats also a no brainer. So what they have developed along Michigan is primary care from the ER prespective. From what I can tell Blodgett is looking more like the Surgery center of Spectrum. Its focus will be the in house surgeries that people have to go for maitence and the such. Its hard to explain but I think you get the idea. Its more or less going to be a large surgery center with lots of private rooms to help the healing faster. Even though there is no increase in beds, they are hoping that with indvidual rooms they will be able get people healed faster. As for the Urgent Care centers all over the place, well those are to help the ER in weeding the patients. Go there first unless you think its heart problems should be the motto for the Urgent Care centers. BTW the new one on Wilson was built since the one on Canal well lets just say it was torn down for a reason and wasn't because more commerical property was required.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived