Spectrum Health Blodgett Campus expansion

wayneoh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what it sounds like Spectrum has setup their Hospitals in a fashion that does several things. First is Butterworth. That is for ER first and foremost. It also has associated services that would be required by ER patients that dont have to move to a diffrent hospital. The Cancer Center is going up accross the street and with its quick access to the ER it allows quicker service. As for Heart Center next to the ER no discussion there. For the childrens hospital well thats also a no brainer. So what they have developed along Michigan is primary care from the ER prespective. From what I can tell Blodgett is looking more like the Surgery center of Spectrum. Its focus will be the in house surgeries that people have to go for maitence and the such. Its hard to explain but I think you get the idea. Its more or less going to be a large surgery center with lots of private rooms to help the healing faster. Even though there is no increase in beds, they are hoping that with indvidual rooms they will be able get people healed faster. As for the Urgent Care centers all over the place, well those are to help the ER in weeding the patients. Go there first unless you think its heart problems should be the motto for the Urgent Care centers. BTW the new one on Wilson was built since the one on Canal well lets just say it was torn down for a reason and wasn't because more commerical property was required.

This is absolutely not true. "Semi-private" rooms (what a great name for a room with no privacy), or shared rooms, increase risks of hospital-acquired infections. And with all the acronym-crazy superbugs floating around a hospital, you don't want to pick those up from your roommate. (MRSA/MRSE, VRE, AmpC GNRs, ESBL GNRs, VISA, the list goes on and on). Additionally, studies have shown that having 2 patients in the same room increases your risk of medication errors. Saying "heals faster" is a nicer way than saying "reduces the chance that the hospital will kill/hurt you."

You're spot-on in your assessment of ER burden, but not in the private room reasoning.

I thought that I had read somewhere that another reason for private rooms was to better comply with the HIPAA privacy requirements. So I went surfing and found this old Wall Street Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1142988975...ON=wsjie/6month

According to the article, it sounds like Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo has had great success with lowering all infections, not just the superbugs.

those people are generally moved into private rooms. most of the patients suffering from nosocomial infections are already in the ICU if a patient from a general medical/surgical floor develops an infection with one of the superbugs they are generally transfered to a private room and precautions are maintained. only a small percentage of patients in the hospital suffer from any of those super bugs at any given time with the exception of MRSA which in many centers has be come the most common form of staph.

I don't mean to interrupt you guys :mellow: but WZZM has an animated video of the expansion on their website. They also plan to tear down the Wethe building at the Southwest corner of the site (non-historic). I think the new building looks pretty cool myself, with what appears to be a large atrium up the middle.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=88284

As well as an article in today's Press.

It also sounds like they are going to upgrade the landscaping around the campus, including the utility areas.

My bad.

I don't know what to think about the new addition. Blodgett is definitely unique in that weird brown brushed metal look - I wasn't a big fan of it but I'm not sure how this will look right next to it. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it in person. I must have some sort of visual/spatial deficiency because buildings never look like the renderings to me (like LHCP - I didn't realize they'd be using all that stupid green glass in it based on those renderings).

Is the Withey building the really cool old ivy-covered part? I hope not... :(

• 3 months later...

Archived