Why no White Castle in West Michigan?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone sent me this pic. I guess it should go in the Outdoor Wedding Locations thread.

whitewedding.jpg

Funniest billboard ever seen in Indianapolis:

PLAY THE LOTTERY

AND YOU COULD WIN ENOUGH MONEY

TO BUY THIS CASTLE

with an arrow pointing to the adjacent property.

I love white castle, not stuff you eat everyday but good 3am drunk food. There is no white castle in GR because they are consontrated around cities that have a distribution center of food, Lansing, Jackson, Toled and I think port Huron all have 1 or 2 locations because they are close enough to metro detroit, Mi city In. also has one because its close enough to Chicagoland. I know this because I emailed white castle wanting to know the same thing a few years ago. GR is too small of a market to support a center and too far away from Detroit CHI or INdy.

I've heard way too many horror stories about how White Castle burgers are greasy and tasting bad. I hope I never see one pop up in or anywhere near the GR metro. Besides, when I want to eat a burger, I want quality. So its places like Ruby Tuesdays or nothing.--None of those wimpy grease balls offered at any of the fast food joints.

I've heard way too many horror stories about how White Castle burgers are greasy and tasting bad. I hope I never see one pop up in or anywhere near the GR metro. Besides, when I want to eat a burger, I want quality. So its places like Ruby Tuesdays or nothing.--None of those wimpy grease balls offered at any of the fast food joints.

That's just funny, why would any one look for quatliy in a burger? It's a burger, so comes the grease, cheese, onions, medium ground chuck, bacon, mayo, tomato, ketchup, pickles and a side of fries, plus a tall plastic cup of Royal Crown or Faygo. There's a reason why people love bar burgers. I usualy don't equate quality of product by price when it comes to burgers.

Its really hard to f-bomb a burger, but the only place I notice that fbombs a burger consistently is Applebees only because Medium equals burnt as hell. Rainforest Cafe makes A+ burgers, I raved about those things.

Are Mr. Burger burgers any good? Every so often I'll drive by one, but something makes me stay away. I can't figure it out. At first, I thought maybe it was just because it seemed like it was fast food masquerading as a sit down restaurant. But Culver's is also similar in that way, and I've ate there a number of times.

Also, White Castle burgers are not horrible. They're just not special other than their distinctive size.

Sonic is another restaurant I've wondered about. I'll see commercials for them on Comcast, yet there appear to be no Sonic locations in Michigan.

There's a big difference between eating a fast food burger and one at a good sit down restaurant. A good sit down restaurant burger is usually bigger, uses fresher lettuce, tomatoes, cheeses, etc. Most importantly many sit down restaurants grill the patties instead of slapping them on a skillet ala McDonald's. In addition places like McDonald's and White Castle get there patties frozen which really affects the taste. Where as many sit downs uses fresh beef. Trust me there is a noticeable difference in taste between fast food burgers and sit down burgers.

As for Ruby Tuesday's I'm sure there are better places I haven't tried yet as there always is when it comes to good restaurants. But for now Ruby's ranks high on my list of restaurants.

Mickey D's and other fast food joints don't fry their burgers due to safety and speed. One side effect to their decisions to broiler their meats is to keep a constant flavor, texture, and look to their product. What's hilarious is that most of these large fast food chains have culinary institutes that develop these recipes and products by top notch culinary experts. That Big Mac was specifically engineered to taste good. BTW, I think you will be suprised at who really makes their own patties versus who just orders them frozen.

If you drive I69 to Indianapolis you pass a White Castle or two out in the boondocks where there's not much other than a couple of other fast food joints and some truck stops. Where are those locations getting their distribution if that is so important? I love to stop in for a slyder whenever I get the chance.

hamburger.jpg MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

In GR, nothing tops a cottage burger.

Archived