Why no White Castle in West Michigan?

If you're looking for a good burger here in GR, I'd suggest giving the Choo-Choo Grill a try. It's on the northwest corner of Plainfield and Leonard, in an old train station. A half-pound burger and fries (the "Red Caboose") is $5.99, or if you're really hungry, they also have a one pound burger! A word of caution: there is only enough seating inside for about 16-20 people, and they are only open for breakfast (7am-11am) and lunch (11am-4pm).

:good:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I must admit that I've eaten a whopper a couple of times. But thats when I'm back in a corner time wise and no Arbie's around. For a fast food burger, it does taste alright.

Oh, c'mon! Best deal on a budget is a Whopper Jr. for $1.09 in SC!

If you drive I69 to Indianapolis you pass a White Castle or two out in the boondocks where there's not much other than a couple of other fast food joints and some truck stops. Where are those locations getting their distribution if that is so important? I love to stop in for a slyder whenever I get the chance.

hamburger.jpg ...

If you're looking for a good burger here in GR, I'd suggest giving the Choo-Choo Grill a try. It's on the northwest corner of Plainfield and Leonard, in an old train station. A half-pound burger and fries (the "Red Caboose") is $5.99, or if you're really hungry, they also have a one pound burger! A word of caution: there is only enough seating inside for about 16-20 people, and they are only open for breakfast (7am-11am) and lunch (11am-4pm).

Shhhhhhhhh! That place only seats like 10 or 12 people. It's already hard to get a seat sometimes so we can't let the word get out. They have the best patty melt in town and you have to love those thick cut fries. Holy cow, it's lunch time and this thread is making me really hungry. :)

If you drive I69 to Indianapolis you pass a White Castle or two out in the boondocks where there's not much other than a couple of other fast food joints and some truck stops. Where are those locations getting their distribution if that is so important? I love to stop in for a slyder whenever I get the chance.

hamburger.jpg MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

No need to go that far south... Powers Hamburgers in Fort Wayne puts out a clone of the dreaded W.C., perhaps a bit better (albeit, that is in relative terms...)

hamburger.jpg MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

In GR, nothing tops a cottage burger.

Ive passed by the choo choo grill so many times but have yet to venture in to see what it is like looks kinda rustic in a way from the outside looks like it cant seat more and 5 :rolleyes: . As for White castle im sure 5 or more could get up and going in this area no problem maybe they could take the old Hot and Now locations and reuse the ones left abandoned by there departure. So maybe one location opening wouldn't be worth there while well what if they opened quiet a few would that then make the trips from the distribution center to west Michigan worth it?

The "old GT depot' is actually the "new" GT depot built in 1956?. The old GT depot was on Bridge Street on the site of the main post office. The new depot eliminated backing the passenger trains down the tracks along side the river from main line by the old water plant on Monroe north of Leonard. The old depot was used as a warehouse by the Liquor Control Commission for a few years, then demolished for the new post office. The old Bridge Street had a warming station under the east approach for the interurban that ran down the middle of the street. The warming station was connected to the basement of the depot. It was an intermodal transit station back in the late 20's :thumbsup:

I have questioned the same thing over and over. DH and I are White Castle lovers.

We have our favorites: Our rankings

1. South Bend location-the Valparsio exit

2. Exit 105 off in Indi off of I-65

3. Cedar/Holt exit off of 96 in Lansing

4. Greenfield exit off I-696

We are so bummed that we don't have one....

Archived