Little Rock Port development

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely, LIT.

Getting back to the wind energy thing, it looks like Arkansas finally has its own high resolution validated map of wind energy levels.

It doesn't look good for wind energy in the state:

ar_50m_800.jpg

The description, according to the website:

The map indicates that Arkansas has wind resources can be considered for utility-scale production. The highest wind resources are found on exposed ridge crests and elevated terrain areas in the western part of the state. The best wind resource areas are concentrated on the higher elevations of the Ouachita Mountains, particularly near Mena, and the Boston Mountains of northwestern Arkansas.

The description, according to the website:

Maybe NW Ark could do something? But the limited locations might mean there aren't enough viable options to make this work.

Attached are the mountains ridges around Mena, which were all excellently rated. Apork is right though: it isn't feasible to build on ridges. Not to mention, the windmills would become eye sores.

I think a lot of this is the abandonment with the obsession of landing a superproject in Marion "for the sake of the Delta" and instead focusing on our most well-rounded and competitive site. I hope this continues to spawn more development, there's plenty of land that can be developed by industry out that way. I guess that's the hidden blessing of the city's march Westward away from the lowlands - lots of cheap, flat land near the airport, river port, and I-440.

Do you think this obsession was basically Huckabee and now that he's moved on so has Beebe? While it would still be great to land something big over in Marion, I'm just not sure if it will happen. I do think it would probably be better if the state did focus on other locations that are going to have a lot better shot at landing some projects.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, Its pretty common news now, but the Man pipe factory that was going in at the LR port fell through.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=115256

While I was disappointed at first, I think that it might end up being a good thing. With the recent publicity that the city has been getting in regards to business, especially concerning its low costs, we might be able to get something better. I have no clue as to what that would be, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived