Michael Vick’s NFL career needs to be over....

michaelskis

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940312

Saying that Michael Vick should step down from the NFL is a drastic understatement. The man should go to a very bad prison and never be permitted to step foot within 1000 feet of a football field ever again.

This morning, when I heard that some of the charges, including electrocuting, hanging, and drowning young dogs who were not fighting well enough, I thought I was going to be sick. Oh and then there was the case there they smashed the dogs body against the concrete. That one did not help much.

Players, especially quarterbacks, in the NFL are looked at as roll models for millions of kids in the US. What kid of a message does this said to the kids?

And don

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally, wholeheartedly agree Michael. This is beyond disgusting. I was also disappointed in the response from the NFL. From washingtonpost.com-

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," the NFL said in a written statement. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case, and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities. The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

They needed to come right out and say this was barbaric and place him on suspension. I can guarantee if a politician (or me, for that matter) had this come out, we wouldn't be given nearly the same latitude to let things work themselves out.

As a pitbull owner I agree with everyone else that Michael Vick should be put in prison and banned from football, the charges that he was electrocuting, drowning, and hanging dogs is just disgusting I hope the courts make an example out of him.

I totally, wholeheartedly agree Michael. This is beyond disgusting. I was also disappointed in the response from the NFL. From washingtonpost.com-

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," the NFL said in a written statement. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case, and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities. The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

They needed to come right out and say this was barbaric and place him on suspension. I can guarantee if a politician (or me, for that matter) had this come out, we wouldn't be given nearly the same latitude to let things work themselves out.

What do you expect the NFL to say? He was indicted of the crime, and if found guilty (which I hope he will be), he will be punished, and the NFL can weigh in at that time with their suspension, etc... They can't very well say that he is guilty and suspend him, that's why we have a justice system.

As much as I don't like the guy or the situation, we should not rush to judgement and let's presume innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in the court of law. We all remember what happened in the so-called Duke Lacrosse Rape Case. However, it doesn't look good for him right now.

Yeah...dog fighting is cruel enough; then the hanging, drowning, electrocution, slamming, etc is just sick :sick:

If found guilty?? Maybe they should get Vick inside the ring with the Pit Bull, then see what happens?? Hard to throw the football with a mutilated arm or hand.

As much as I don't like the guy or the situation, we should not rush to judgement and let's presume innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt in the court of law. We all remember what happened in the so-called Duke Lacrosse Rape Case. However, it doesn't look good for him right now.

^Actually, as far as I know, the federal conviction rate hovers around 95%. Either way, yes, when the feds indict you, the vast majority of the time it means they have a serious case against you. And the fact that the feds already have 4 witnesses lined up to testify against Vick means that, at least right now, he is beyond screwed.

I gotta say this story has almost pushed me over the edge. I am going to try and stay on the highroad and assume innocence, but it is a KNOWN fact that the FEDS don't indict unless it is pretty much a slam dunk case, evidence and likely conviction.

Anyway - I'm going to put something out there - how can fans mobilize and STOP attending games, buying merchandise ect for 1 year to send a message we want salaries back in line with reality, no more tolerance for this craziness and if anybody pursues "professional sports" as a profession, then they better realize it is a friggin privledge. Just ranting today - but nothing will change unless the seats are empty and merchandise sales go flat. And if anyone thinks it takes the corporations to get out, then start an internal revolt in your company if they are paying stupid sums of $$ for the corp boxes.

Sorry, this story just made me sick.

I gotta say this story has almost pushed me over the edge. I am going to try and stay on the highroad and assume innocence, but it is a KNOWN fact that the FEDS don't indict unless it is pretty much a slam dunk case, evidence and likely conviction.

Anyway - I'm going to put something out there - how can fans mobilize and STOP attending games, buying merchandise ect for 1 year to send a message we want salaries back in line with reality, no more tolerance for this craziness and if anybody pursues "professional sports" as a profession, then they better realize it is a friggin privledge. Just ranting today - but nothing will change unless the seats are empty and merchandise sales go flat. And if anyone thinks it takes the corporations to get out, then start an internal revolt in your company if they are paying stupid sums of $$ for the corp boxes.

Sorry, this story just made me sick.

The NFL probably won't suspend him (I'm guessing). They may simply wash their hands of him and let the owner Arthur Blank figure what he wants to do with #7. Who knows at this point what Mr Blanks will do and don't envy his position. If Ron Mexico does in fact play this year, he will be booed and jeered out the every stadium (even at home). There will be many, many signs in the stadiums across the league deriding him, and rightfully so. When the season starts, I will care nothing about him. I will be more worried how the Panthers are doing.

I think the NFL has dropped the ball here. They have suspended Pacman Jones for a whole season, even though he hasn't been convicted of anything, and none of his runins w/ the law have been this heinous, nor has he been indicted by the Federal Gov't. There is no reason the NFL couldn't have suspended him until he was proven innocent, which won't happen, since Federal Prosecutions pretty much always end in a guilty verdict, no matter how much money one has for the best defense attouneys. Heck like at the Enron guy, Skilling, he had much more money than Vick, and he still lost his federal case.

As for the allegations, I can't even read the whole thing b4 I get completely sick to my stomach. How can somebody torture a defenseless animal like that? Plus, most people haven't mentioned here, that pretty much every psychopathic killer started off doing this to animals. IMO, there is a special place in Hades for Vick and other people of his ilk.

I think the NFL has dropped the ball here. They have suspended Pacman Jones for a whole season, even though he hasn't been convicted of anything, and none of his runins w/ the law have been this heinous, nor has he been indicted by the Federal Gov't. There is no reason the NFL couldn't have suspended him until he was proven innocent, which won't happen, since Federal Prosecutions pretty much always end in a guilty verdict, no matter how much money one has for the best defense attouneys. Heck like at the Enron guy, Skilling, he had much more money than Vick, and he still lost his federal case.

As for the allegations, I can't even read the whole thing b4 I get completely sick to my stomach. How can somebody torture a defenseless animal like that? Plus, most people haven't mentioned here, that pretty much every psychopathic killer started off doing this to animals. IMO, there is a special place in Hades for Vick and other people of his ilk.

The best play is for the FALCONS to suspend him WITH pay. The owner should call him in for his own good and mentor him on what EVERYONE else knows - dude, you have some serious, serious personal problems that are FAR more important than football - you need to focus on that right now.

If convicted, everything will take care of itself. Forget the contract money for suspension. DO what is right by him and the franchise by eliminating the distraction even before you get to camp or the regular season. Pay him is money and let our system work. If not convicted, it's behind him, he hasn't been shorted a dime and can rejoin the team.

MEMO to Falcons owner: Leadership is not really that hard. Do the right thing!

Not to make light of any of Vick's actions, but remember, Pacman Jones had multiple incidents before the NFL suspended him, in addition to personal meetings with the Commissioner. He was basically given an ultimatum...clean up your act, or else, and he didn't.

I'm not sure if this plays into it at all, but if the NFL suspends him and on the remote chance that Vick is found not guilty, could the Player's Association file suit against the League? I'm not certain, but I am guessing there are contractual considerations at work here.

Archived