Jax vs Mia vs Tampa vs Orlando

sunshine

And, I never said I wanted Jacksonville to become a "convention city". I simply said that we should expand our convention center to increase activity downtown. Orlando's Convention Ctr is in the middle of a vast suburban wasteland, by the way. And, the only thing Orlando has cornered the market on is manufactured cheesiness.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hardly cold I-drive the middle of suburban wasteland. It's not downtown granted but the area is fairly unique. People visited central florida before disney, and they'll visit central florida after disney.

But jacksonville does have a football team.

Y'all need to kiss and make up and stop spewing the half-truths and misplaced arguments.

Why all the hate for neighboring, yet completely different cities? Orlando is the home of Disney, Universal and Sea World, so who cares if it has more tourist than Tampa and Jax combined? Good for it. On the other hand, Jax is an older city blessed with a large river, as well as the Atlantic Ocean, with a more diversified economic base center on finance, insurance, manufacturing and the military. Good for it. The Bay area is blessed with multiple large waterfront cities, as well. Good for it.

All of these unique cities have things some people like and things some hate. For example I moved to Jax over Orlando, because I wanted to be in a waterfront city and I discovered Jax had an abundance of urban neighborhoods that didn't exist anywhere else in Central Florida, other than the smaller Hyde Park in Tampa. While I love Orlando and its attractions, I felt I'd enjoy Jax more. Other feel completely different and that's fine, considering this is America. Despite our differences, we all still sleep good at night.

At the end of the day, Orlando will never have an NFL team (especially not the Jags), Jax will never become a big time tourist and convention destination and Tampa will still will have the Gulf Coast and Ybor....so be it.

Well then I won't engage in any more city bashing either. If I can't say something nice I just won't say anything at all. About other cities.

But I will say this: I can't believe nobody recognized the carnies reference I made above. You people take everything--especially me--way too seriously!

• 1 month later...

At the end of the day, anything you people say has no effect on what makes one city better or worse than another. Orlando is where I grew up and I am excited about all the development that is occurring there. Orlando's growth and emergence as a major US city will speak for itself. Disney is to Orlando as Microsoft is to Seattle. Will you tell me that if it were not for Bill Gates, then Seattle would be nothing of a city? That's ridiculous. And so are you.

Disney is to Orlando as Microsoft is to Seattle.

Prior to the advent of Disney in Orange County, Orlando was a small central FL town akin to today's Ocala. If you take away tourism, which you obviously cannot, Orlando would be reduced in size by 2/3. By contrast, Seattle was a major West Coast port city with Boeing, etc, before Microsoft was ever envisioned. This doesnt mean you shouldnt be proud of your town, but it is true.

That is really irrelevant considering that different cities grow at different times in history and different things impact each city in a different way. One thing you could say is that Orlando is blessed because Disney/Universal will never be pulling out of Orlando whereas other companies can come and go much easier. Its a very stable company driving the economy, even if tourism takes its ups and downs.

This really does come down to hometown biases. Of course I'm more interestied in Orlando than Jacksonville. I've learned a lot about it from this forum but I still wouldn't choose it over Orlando. There is always something going on in Orlando, its nearly impossible to be bored. Downtown is transforming (and in my opinion/observation, in 10 years downtown Orlando will be the most vibrant downtown in the state, I could argue it already is). Further, the city, in the past 5 years or so, has begun to move away from tourism, with computer science and healthcare being the largest growing industries in the city. Tourism will always be here, but it may not always be the largest economic engine, making Orlando a truly dynamic city.

Hey folks! I'm new to this site, so please be gentle until I've caught my bearings. I'm from Orlando, born and raised, and I'm proud of ALL of the cities in Florida and their accomplishments, because I've been all over this great state. I think each one has something special and unique all their own. Jacksonville is definitely emerging and I think it's long overdue. Miami has ALWAYS been a tourist destination, no matter what the locals down there will tell you, and rightly so. Miami has the best weather, beaches, shopping, and road system in the entire state of Florida. Tampa, although bustling with activity and growth, has the worst (sorry folks from Tampa) and I think it's starting to smell like the Jacksonville of 15 years ago (I know too harsh for good ole' Tampa). Now we come to Orlando...Personally, I have a Love/Hate relationship with this Town...I think Orlando would have been a major city even if Disney decided to move his empire to Ocala (as was originally planned). Orlando had recently won Martin Marrieta (now Lockheed martin) and the Kennedy Space Center is not too far away. If Disney DIDN'T move to Orlando, then the local economy would have been FORCED to go into Aerospace & Technology, instead of trying to find high paying jobs now. Also, there would have been better roads, schools, and public services. As it stands now, Orlando has so many service oriented, low paying jobs, no wonder this area is clogged with Toll Roads and bad schools.

Sports teams and skyscrapers aside, people, what do you all think is REALLY important here?

Thanks for listening and I look forward to a response.

Archived