Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, elcelc said:

Yep, it's still there. I remember small community plays being performed there when I was a kid. I have no idea what's happening with it nowadays. 

Just now, thebeerqueer said:

Yep, it's still there. I remember small community plays being performed there when I was a kid. I have no idea what's happening with it nowadays. 

If I'm not mistaken, it was the first Civic Theatre location. I'm sure it has a great history. Would love to see it restored someday.

Joe

It was called the Our Theatre and was open 1928-1966.  Civic Theatre moved in right after that.  I don't know how many times Civic Theatre moved around, but I think they started in the '20s at St. Cecilia.

Not long ago I remember it still had that big Hyatt sign.  It must have been up until at least pretty recently.  I never noticed when they took it down :( I figure Hyatt's not there anymore either...

large.jpg

EDIT: Found this old pic from its heyday:

a00^vintage_shot.JPG

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

It was called the Our Theatre and was open 1928-1966.  Civic Theatre moved in right after that.  I don't know how many times Civic Theatre moved around, but I think they started in the '20s at St. Cecilia.

Not long ago I remember it still had that big Hyatt sign.  It must have been up until at least pretty recently.  I never noticed when they took it down :( I figure Hyatt's not there anymore either...

large.jpg

EDIT: Found this old pic from its heyday:

a00^vintage_shot.JPG

On the property records John S Hyatt is still listed as the owner. Although his company is now listed at 1765 Alpine NW.

Edited by Pattmost20

• 2 months later...

So is there any idea as to what DTE Energy is doing at their "Wealthy Station", at the SE corner of Wealthy and Market?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9560664,-85.6794604,3a,75y,175.08h,81.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saRmePWjq-PMNyFZz_bUEDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

At first I thought they were just redoing their parking lot, but today it looks like they are doing something a bit more substantial. The whole property from the front door, to the street, is dug up and looks like some structure is about to go up (?), which would be great because it was just a large front-facing parking lot until now.

6 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

So is there any idea as to what DTE Energy is doing at their "Wealthy Station", at the SE corner of Wealthy and Market?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9560664,-85.6794604,3a,75y,175.08h,81.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saRmePWjq-PMNyFZz_bUEDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

At first I thought they were just redoing their parking lot, but today it looks like they are doing something a bit more substantial. The whole property from the front door, to the street, is dug up and looks like some structure is about to go up (?), which would be great because it was just a large front-facing parking lot until now.

My wife works there, so I can answer to this. They are digging up all the contaminants from years gone by, and backfill with clean soil. The contaminants have been causing physical issues for some time, so they are remediating the problem. 

• Like 3

Home to Grand Rapids Gas Works where they gasified coal into lighting gas. I remember the steel tanks (there was more than one) into the 50's?.  I don't remember the smaller tanks. The steel tank roofs went up as the tanks were filled. Kinda neat back then to me as a kid and even later:) . The gasification process in this case created coal tar IIRC.

http://www.historygrandrapids.org/photo/1480/grand-rapids-gas-works

Edited by Raildude's dad
Added link

44 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

Home to Grand Rapids Gas Works where they gasified coal into lighting gas. I remember the steel tanks (there was more than one) into the 50's?.  I don't remember the smaller tanks. The steel tank roofs went up as the tanks were filled. Kinda neat back then to me as a kid and even later:) . The gasification process in this case created coal tar IIRC.

http://www.historygrandrapids.org/photo/1480/grand-rapids-gas-works

I was just looking at those recently and wondering what was there now. I've been using that site to update information on Wikipedia. I've been trying to determine the history of the tallest building in Grand Rapids. Never knew the court house and city hall were so tall.

• 10 months later...

Just barely caught this at a red light, but this is the strip mall at the NE corner of Ann and N. Monroe, that has gone through a makeover by Rockford, in what had to be the past couple of weeks!

V__6DAC.thumb.jpeg.954f1f711444fdd4336bd698bc4c6a7a.jpeg

Previous exterior:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9957185,-85.6704128,3a,75y,43.88h,88.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szAmY_xTua_cnmjBpko9z8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It certainly looks more aesthetically appealing. I honestly think that it should have been torn down and built along the street instead of trying to pretty it up..

In the end it is still just a strip mall, but yeah it's better looking.

10 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Just barely caught this at a red light, but this is the strip mall at the NE corner of Ann and N. Monroe, that has gone through a makeover by Rockford, in what had to be the past couple of weeks!

V__6DAC.thumb.jpeg.954f1f711444fdd4336bd698bc4c6a7a.jpeg

Previous exterior:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9957185,-85.6704128,3a,75y,43.88h,88.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szAmY_xTua_cnmjBpko9z8w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It certainly looks more aesthetically appealing. I honestly think that it should have been torn down and built along the street instead of trying to pretty it up..

In the end it is still just a strip mall, but yeah it's better looking.

I just saw this too and was intrigued enough to snoop the building permits. It sounds like restaurant usage which made me wonder if Mikes Wings was moving over, it's seen better days.  Total speculation from me.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was driving downtown tonight and noticed they are assembling scaffolding on two sides of the Federal Square building. I love this building. Is it being restored? Does anyone have any details?

Joe

I noticed that too, according to the building permits page they're just replacing the roofing. 

New townhouse project going in near 3 Mile and Fuller next to the Lutheran Church on the corner. This used to be an old baseball field and an old firehouse that the church used as a youth center years ago. I actually had a developer colleague interested in this property and I called the church to see if the firehouse was going to stay (because it wasn't part of the sale) and it was in rough shape, and they weren't sure. A week later, firehouse gone. :)

Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0134099,-85.6377817,3a,75y,136.32h,101.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smP01kbpBtmnIR1GDok-ZYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not really anyplace to put this because it's not in Creston and not suburban, but I anticipate someone asking "what's going in here?" at some point in the future. 

Village at 1300 site plan.JPG

Village at 1300 - floorplans.JPG

Village at 1300 - 3 mile apartments.JPG

Nice infill for that area. I saw the baseball diamond was for sale, didn’t realize it was large enough for this type of project. 

Joe

19 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I noticed that too, according to the building permits page they're just replacing the roofing. 

Wow, that seems like a lot of scaffolding for a roof project! Love this building, glad it’s getting some TLC. 

Joe

21 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice infill for that area. I saw the baseball diamond was for sale, didn’t realize it was large enough for this type of project. 

Joe

Wow, that seems like a lot of scaffolding for a roof project! Love this building, glad it’s getting some TLC. 

Joe

I didn't really think you could get that many units on there either, but we didn't look at townhouses. Don't know if these will be for sale or for rent. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

New townhouse project going in near 3 Mile and Fuller next to the Lutheran Church on the corner. This used to be an old baseball field and an old firehouse that the church used as a youth center years ago. I actually had a developer colleague interested in this property and I called the church to see if the firehouse was going to stay (because it wasn't part of the sale) and it was in rough shape, and they weren't sure. A week later, firehouse gone. :)

Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0134099,-85.6377817,3a,75y,136.32h,101.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smP01kbpBtmnIR1GDok-ZYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not really anyplace to put this because it's not in Creston and not suburban, but I anticipate someone asking "what's going in here?" at some point in the future. 

Village at 1300 site plan.JPG

Village at 1300 - floorplans.JPG

Village at 1300 - 3 mile apartments.JPG

This is exactly the kind of infill I love to see. Still has the neighborhood feel, not a giant box, but great density.

The "Emergency Lock & Safe" building (1044 E. Fulton), across from the E. Fulton Mad Cap, has a construction fence erected around the site.

I haven't heard of any plans about this for a long time. I'm hoping that the whole thing is coming down and that the existing set-back is eliminated.

Seriously don't rehab another old car service shack.

23 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

The "Emergency Lock & Safe" building (1044 E. Fulton), across from the E. Fulton Mad Cap, has a construction fence erected around the site.

I haven't heard of any plans about this for a long time. I'm hoping that the whole thing is coming down and that the existing set-back is eliminated.

Seriously don't rehab another old car service shack.

After they moved to Packard Ave, I was curious what was going on with the building. Looked into the records and it appears Valley City Linen bought it. I don't have high hopes that they will do anything cool with the property.

*sigh*

Part of me had a thought about what if they bought it and decided to turn it into something stupid like a parking lot, and laughed it off because the people in the neighborhood would go apocalyptic if they tried.

Part of me doesn't get why they don't just sell their building and move to a generic, and far more efficient, warehouse district by the highway instead of their obviously confined property. Sure beats needlessly buying neighboring properties, in what I hope isnt a goofy attempt at expanding that ugly facility of theirs.