Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

On 5/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

I just passed a massive blade for a wind turbine being trucked north on the E. Beltline by cascade rd.. Anyone know of a wind turbine farm going up on the NE side of the GR area?

I saw two more of them the other day headed North on 131, just before the s-curve. I kind of wondered how traversing the s-curve would go. :)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jthrasher said:

My friend posted this on Facebook the other day.   What the ????  How was this approved and what a horrible design???!!!!   Apparently it's on 44th near Division?

66370977_1196668780503216_4518581886343184384_o.jpg

Whoa! That’s crazy. You’d think, bad design or not, it would not get approved for height restrictions. 

This seems like a situation where someone is working too hard to try and make something work (and it doesn’t). :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Whoa! That’s crazy. You’d think, bad design or not, it would not get approved for height restrictions. 

This seems like a situation where someone is working too hard to try and make something work (and it doesn’t). :)

exactly!  My first thought was why not just make the walls vertical with a flat roof and gain SO much more living space?

On 7/14/2019 at 9:13 AM, jthrasher said:

My friend posted this on Facebook the other day.   What the ????  How was this approved and what a horrible design???!!!!   Apparently it's on 44th near Division?

66370977_1196668780503216_4518581886343184384_o.jpg

So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out...

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

In GR, at least, building height is measured at the halfway point of the roof line. So this building is actually quite short. :shades:

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, RegalTDP said:

I just had to get a "before" pic of this house.  Found it on Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/SmpKyUbwYeukWmU76

Just had to drive by today.  The street view is old from 2011.  Pinehurst is a cul-de-sac  now and no longer goes through to 44th.  The house now is the last one on the street on the east side right at the cul-de-sac.  There is only a handful of other houses in what is now just a short stub of a street.  So there are not too many close by neighbors to complain.  I wouldn't be happy though if I owned the little house next door, 

2 hours ago, tSlater said:

So, what you're saying is, Mansard Roofs would be a good way to get some extra height..

actually, not necessarily mansard roofs, but gabled, gambreled, or hipped.

I worked on the St. Luke University Parish building in Georgetown Township a couple years ago. Their zoning ordinance sets the height limit at 35'. For gabled roofs, that limit is the "mean height" of the roof form. The initial building design put the roof apex around 55', but because the spring point of the roof was around 18' it put the "mean height" above that 35' limit. We had to change the roof pitch to accommodate the ordinance. The funny thing is that if the spring point of the roof was at grade, we could technically have built a 70' tall building, which elsewhere in the community would have seemed quite out of scale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...