Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

1 hour ago, demhem said:

That still doesn't give enough away! The brick facade and screening across the street might help narrow it down though...

I've been to TF. I like it, but HG is near my office, has top rope, and is less expensive. 

Fair enough! It's all good. :)

And yes still not enough for me to figure it out. Based on foliage much of this is from last summer and fall. It's got to be a warehouse with a lot of construction going on. And a big addition I would imagine. Maybe near the airport? Tan part looks a bit old for the airport area. Roger B Chaffee maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

By the age of the brick, windows, etc. I was thinking somewhere over by Ann Street / Turner area. Just a wild guess though!

Joe

I know, it's starting to drive me crazy, lol. I thought of the same area but not sure. Apparently on their instagram, whoever runs their instagram account posted that they had to wear blindfolds to visit the site, until they were inside the building. :ph34r:

I mean, it's not a Whole Foods! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I know, it's starting to drive me crazy, lol. I thought of the same area but not sure. Apparently on their instagram, whoever runs their instagram account posted that they had to wear blindfolds to visit the site, until they were inside the building. :ph34r:

I mean, it's not a Whole Foods! 

I'm obsessed with finding this building guys (and gals), lol. I thought it might be an old Steelcase plant with the blue painted walls everywhere and the tan brick, so I drove all over the 40th Street campus looking for any signs of clues. I believe that whole campus sold recently? Anyway..... nothing. 

It's going to turn out to be in a really stupid spot, lol. 

31 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm obsessed with finding this building guys (and gals), lol. I thought it might be an old Steelcase plant with the blue painted walls everywhere and the tan brick, so I drove all over the 40th Street campus looking for any signs of clues. I believe that whole campus sold recently? Anyway..... nothing. 

It's going to turn out to be in a really stupid spot, lol. 

Not quite an obsession yet but I thought the video  might be from over around Cottage Grove near the old South Field.  There's plenty of wild growing pine trees and old orange brick factories in that neighborhood, but using Google street view and my computer to drive down the streets, I can't line up the trees with an orange brick building, so either it's at some odd angle outside Google street view or I'm mistaken. 

I'd probably be out driving around too except I've actually had some semi-important errands to take care of today.  That doesn't happen often anymore.    

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, walker said:

Not quite an obsession yet but I thought the video  might be from over around Cottage Grove near the old South Field.  There's plenty of wild growing pine trees and old orange brick factories in that neighborhood, but using Google street view and my computer to drive down the streets, I can't line up the trees with an orange brick building, so either it's at some odd angle outside Google street view or I'm mistaken. 

I'd probably be out driving around too except I've actually had some semi-important errands to take care of today.  That doesn't happen often anymore.    

I spent a long time on this too yesterday with Google Maps and now I'm glad I wasn't the only one.  I looked all over Cottage Grove, Roger B. Chafee, Broadmoor & 29th St, NW side, etc... Couldn't find it.

I'm not even into rock climbing, I just really, really, really wanted to find that building. :wacko:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RegalTDP said:

I spent a long time on this too yesterday with Google Maps and now I'm glad I wasn't the only one.  I looked all over Cottage Grove, Roger B. Chafee, Broadmoor & 29th St, NW side, etc... Couldn't find it.

I'm not even into rock climbing, I just really, really, really wanted to find that building. :wacko:

I drove through all of those areas, and the plants near Shaeffer and 32nd Street. The industrial areas in Wyoming near Clyde Park. Nothing yet. Still have the S Division Cottage Grove area, NW side. 

Haven't even touched the airport area but it seems like most of that is not as vintage/retro as these videos/pictures look. 

12 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

I'm exactly the same. Don't care for rock climbing at all yet spent an hour yesterday searching around google maps. Nothing.

2 hours ago, tSlater said:

I'm exactly the same. Don't care for rock climbing at all yet spent an hour yesterday searching around google maps. Nothing.

Sorry guys! :rofl:

13 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Mar-Jo Trucking  trucks hauling sand. The trucks are not tarped so I doubt it's a public street. They would get tickets for untarped loads.  It's a short haul since no 2nd trailer. Old factory since nothing new would have masonry / brick walls.

Oooh, that's a good clue. Although if it's a private street, those pine trees probably won't show up on a google streetview. Only on Google Earth/Google 3D images if you look hard enough. 

17 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

Decided to take a look too and found something unrelated, but interesting. It seems that Apple Maps captured 3D images of the damage produced by the July 2014 tornado that went through Ideal Park.

A0184873-D887-4E8C-A19F-F37A16EF65F6.thumb.jpeg.6216804498165f1b6632491fd3d443fb.jpeg

I did some fly fishing here in '18 and wondered why there were vacant plots in this subdivision. Now I'm taken aback by the circumstances. According to some plaques along the parking lot they're looking to improve this park by adding additional infrastructure. My mind is blank on what exactly, but I recall a new trail going through the forest north of this property.

Ok, now I'm hooked-in too!

My original guess was here @ 470 Market since it just went through renovations and was plenty big enough to house a place like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9548514,-85.6819994,3a,75y,143.32h,99.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7wkqfGbY4rPckzjLP7oHxA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This building has the wrong color brick and no trees.

I'm still leaning towards the near SW side because this is an existing building, obviously older than 40 years, and IN Grand Rapids (assuming they dont mean "GR area"). Also I'm thinking they want to be as close to DT as possible(?).

The pine trees obviously were planted for screening, so what could have been the thing to screen? There also appears to be no sidewalk.

I've found nothing in the area of Market, south of Wealthy, so I'm thinking maybe something along 131 between Hall and the DT Market. That would explain the screening evergreens and lack of sidewalks + old building.

48 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I told my buddy about the hunt for Planet Rock GR, he pointed out two things: MarJo owns the gravel pits across Wilson from Johnson Park, and the trucks are allowed to be uncovered on surface streets, just not on highways. I think SW GR or Grandville might be likely.

I'm afraid not, loads must be covered on any public street or road. That's not to say they might be violating but with electric tarps it's not worth chancing a ticket.  I'd say it's an old building with a newer addition that they appear to be removing, maybe for an expansion. I've done the Kent County Parcel Viewer looking for such a building with out luck.

The pit Mar-Jo owns on Wilson is a sand pit. No gravel there. They also do trucking for hire.

Excerpt from the Motor vehicle Code

image.thumb.png.ff16ae18df37f8e707f9e6b48ad260ad.png

Edited by Raildude's dad

11 minutes ago, Onekama said:

This is my favorite game to play. 

I think I found it! :)  Piton also implies a mountain.  Looks like Etna Supply building.

Parcels

PPN 411818253035
PNUM 41-18-18-253-035
Owner Name PITON INVESTMENTS LLC
Owner Name 2  
Property Address 3175 UNION AVE SE
Property City WYOMING
Property State Zip Code MI49548
SEV 637,200
Taxable Value 637,200
Acreage 4.577016
House Number 3175
Street UNION AVE SE
OBJECTID 208086
SHAPE Polygon
Shape Area 199374.810547
Shape Length 2119.09064

asdfasdffsdf.JPG

I think you got it!  This looks like the video garage

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.28.13 PM.png

11 minutes ago, Onekama said:

I think I found it! :)  Piton also implies a mountain.  Looks like Etna Supply building.

Parcels

PPN 411818253035
PNUM 41-18-18-253-035
Owner Name 2  
Property City WYOMING
SEV 637,200
Taxable Value 637,200
Acreage 4.577016
House Number 3175
Street UNION AVE SE
OBJECTID 208086
SHAPE Polygon
Shape Area 199374.810547
Shape Length 2119.09064

asdfasdffsdf.JPG

Nice find! That is definitely it. 

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

I'm afraid not, loads must be covered on any public street or road. That's not to say they might be violating but with electric tarps it's not worth chancing a ticket.  I'd say it's an old building with a newer addition that they appear to be removing, maybe for an expansion. I've done the Kent County Parcel Viewer looking for such a building with out luck.

The pit Mar-Jo owns on Wilson is a sand pit. No gravel there. They also do trucking for hire.

Excerpt from the Motor vehicle Code

image.thumb.png.ff16ae18df37f8e707f9e6b48ad260ad.png

My guess is they read the part that says "on a highway" and thought like my buddy did. Probably a lot of companies that break that rule

1 hour ago, Onekama said:

Parcels

PPN 411818253035
PNUM 41-18-18-253-035
Owner Name 2  
Property City WYOMING
SEV 637,200
Taxable Value 637,200
Acreage 4.577016
House Number 3175
Street UNION AVE SE
OBJECTID 208086
SHAPE Polygon
Shape Area 199374.810547
Shape Length 2119.09064

asdfasdffsdf.JPG

Just to add to the confirmation, Nicholas Cocciolone is the same name associated with the LLC that owns the Madison Heights location.

Nice work! That is some serious sleuthing.

Piton.PNG

I'll look for Hoffa next :)  The key to this puzzle was using a satellite view that was taken in late Fall/Winter to help the evergreens stand out.  Then I just scoured some warehouse type areas looking for a line of pine trees across the street from some arborvitaes with a loading dock type driveway.  

Do I win free climbing for a year? !?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Onekama said:

Parcels

PPN 411818253035
PNUM 41-18-18-253-035
Owner Name 2  
Property City WYOMING
SEV 637,200
Taxable Value 637,200
Acreage 4.577016
House Number 3175
Street UNION AVE SE
OBJECTID 208086
SHAPE Polygon
Shape Area 199374.810547
Shape Length 2119.09064

asdfasdffsdf.JPG

That's incredible! Nice find, that's definitely the owner, Nicholas Cocciolone. He and his wife were featured in an article back in 2014 about the company. 

Now that I know though, I don't want to blow the fun for them. We'll just keep it all our little secret. lol. I was so close to that area too, went all the way up RB Chaffee but turned around at 28th Street and went back to 44th. I'll drive by and see what kind of work has been done.