Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

It took me a minute to figure out what this place was. My dad worked here back in the late 70s till 1980, and we lived in the "projects" just up the hill behind it. I had no idea that "Mack and Erine" was actually McInerney!

That area is so unique geographically that a project like this will definitely transform that corridor 

16 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Definitely have been to some fun warehouse /rave parties in those buildings.  Interesting spaces and the place is a labyrinth. 

I've been to those as well and yeah place is a cool labyrinth! I wonder if is tore down on the far south end or saved. This could be a very cool area/neighborhood that is under utilized atm. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • joeDowntown changed the title to Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?
  • joeDowntown pinned this topic

Read on MIBiz (paywalled) that the University Club (currently in the 5/3 building) is moving to third old RDV / Penninsula club. 

with Warner moving, and the university club moving, that building has to be  pretty empty. Will be interesting to see if CWD will start shuffling tenants around to fill the building, or move 5/3 and completely reimagine the building. 

• 1 month later...

This seems like a great addition to the Downtown Market. I always thought Monroe Center in front of Rosa Parks would be an ideal location but the Downtown Market will be nice as well. If someone serves the melted cheese on bread thing, I'm in a lot of trouble (yum): 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/04/first-ever-christkindl-markt-planned-for-grand-rapids-downtown-market-this-year.html

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

This seems like a great addition to the Downtown Market. I always thought Monroe Center in front of Rosa Parks would be an ideal location but the Downtown Market will be nice as well. If someone serves the melted cheese on bread thing, I'm in a lot of trouble (yum): 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/04/first-ever-christkindl-markt-planned-for-grand-rapids-downtown-market-this-year.html

That's fantastic! My wife is from Strasbourg, France where they have one of the most famous Christmas Markets in Europe, so this will be a bit of a taste of home for her.

34 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Didn't know where to put this, and wasn't sure it warranted a new thread. But there's some movement in the little abandoned two story building on the corner of Louis and Ottawa downtown. Anyone have anything?

Interesting. What is going on? I thought for sure this building would sit empty and eventually be knocked down for something bigger. 

Joe

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting. What is going on? I thought for sure this building would sit empty and eventually be knocked down for something bigger. 

Joe

It just looks like they are removing the things from it. That's all I saw. There's a dumpster in the lot and some cars that are, I assume, workers. 

I'm right there with you. That lot needs something bigger. Much bigger

The Factory Yards development goes in front of the economic development committee tomorrow. Hoping this develops at a faster rate than the Sligh furniture building development:

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-warehouse-could-be-turned-into-apartments-restaurants-and-more

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RiversideGR said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but there is an item on the agenda for the next Historical Preservation Commission meeting for a proposed mixed-use development at 241 State Street

image.thumb.png.79e85935df879829a3179e8a9779f53b.png

I like it.  

The most historic thing on that wedge block is the Calkin's Law Office Building at 201 State Street, supposedly the oldest building in Grand Rapids.  But keep in mind that isn't its original location.  It was originally downtown at Monroe and Ottawa and it was moved from there later to Ionia Ave.  It fell into disrepair and was saved and was restored and moved to where it is now when the museum was across the street.  Without the museum there it is kind of an orphan building and maybe should be moved again, especially if it is used as an excuse to stop this redevelopment.  Back in 2007 there was a discussion here about whether the Calkin's building should be moved or not:

Urbanplanet - 2007: calkins-law-office-building

'754813564_Calkinsbeforemovedandrenovated.png.fed5badf7f4645c3064bb5891f203c1a.png

Before the move

Edited by walker
to fix typos
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I read that IKEA is looking to add eight stores in the U.S.  Coincidently, they currently have eight "pick-up points in the country with GR being one of them.  The article did mention they are looking mainly at the south and east coast.  Anyone think we'll finally get an IKEA?