Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

Slightly off what you guys are talking about right now, but...is there anything going on in the tall thin red brick building at Monroe and Lyon (between AGP and DeVos Place)? I thought it was going to be part of the convention center, but it just looks empty. What's up?

There are offices being used upstairs. I'm not sure what's going on with the ground floor. It looks empty, yet it's not listed as being available.

• 3 weeks later...

That was the word from the owner at the beginning of summer, but it seems ice cream season has nearly passed. I haven't talked to him lately, can anyone confirm that's still the plan?

It's still the plan. I think they're doing a lot of the work themselves, and have had a few setbacks. From the sound of it, they probably won't make this ice cream season.

• 8 months later...

There is a house on Lyon by College, across the street from the school. I always thought it was odd, it had huge pillars in the front of it even though it was not a big house. It seems as though someone is doing a pretty major renovation. Anyone know any history on this building, or what is happening? It could be a unique house if fixed up right.

There is a house on Lyon by College, across the street from the school. I always thought it was odd, it had huge pillars in the front of it even though it was not a big house. It seems as though someone is doing a pretty major renovation. Anyone know any history on this building, or what is happening? It could be a unique house if fixed up right.

I believe the house you're looking at is 439 Lyon Street NE, this one:

439%20Lyon%20NE-3.JPG

It looked rather different in the 1960's:

439%20Lyon%20NE-2.jpg

According to the Heritage Hill Association website (where the photos are from as well), it was built in 1867. The original owner was James G. Cloyes. There's more information on the Architectural Survey Card for those interested, which can be found on the Heritage Hill website.

According to tax assessing info, the house was foreclosed on in 2007. The current owner bought it in March of 2008 and lives in Belding. For whatever it's worth, she does not own any other property in Grand Rapids in her name (i.e. she's probably not a professional flipper).

Hope this is the right house. :)

Edited by jtabberer

I believe the house you're looking at is 439 Lyon Street NE, this one:

439%20Lyon%20NE-3.JPG

It looked rather different in the 1960's:

439%20Lyon%20NE-2.jpg

According to the Heritage Hill Association website (where the photos are from as well), it was built in 1867. The original owner was James G. Cloyes. There's more information on the Architectural Survey Card for those interested, which can be found on the Heritage Hill website.

According to tax assessing info, the house was foreclosed on in 2007. The current owner bought it in March of 2008 and lives in Belding. For whatever it's worth, she does not own any other property in Grand Rapids in her name (i.e. she's probably not a professional flipper).

Hope this is the right house. :)

Thanks, that is the right house. I always thought those columns were superflous, they just look out of place. I hope they do a good job.

Edit: after reading the notes on the H.H. website I remebered that I was always told this house was haunted. I was reminded of this by the statement that she didn't believe in growing old, and that she studied occult science.

Edited by GR Jackson

So we're coming home from the River Bank Run today through Heritage Hill and my realtor wife said, "Hey I've been meaning to show you that Heritage Hill house that (client) bought." When we drove past it, I said, "Wait, they've been talking about this house on Urban Planet very randomly!" So, I have the scoop. Her client bought it to live in and occupy and is spending a bunch to restore it all. I guess they tore it all down to the studs in some places and want to make it a great place to live in...not looking to flip it. We'll pass along this thread to her - I don't know if she knows all the history or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily, I love the columns and because my home is in Heritage Hill, there is no way those columns are coming down permanently !

Thanks for all of the info on the history of the house.Please continue to share what you know, I find it all very interesting.

The plan is to still have it done before it's to late for ice cream . Wish me luck !

Yes, welcome! I've always liked the house you bought. I used to walk by it every day on the way to CC and always thought there must be a good story to it. Personally, I like the columns, if for no other reason that it makes the house jump out at you and wonder what the story is. All of the varied architecture and mish-mash of styles is what makes Heritage Hill great.

Joe

Luckily, I love the columns and because my home is in Heritage Hill, there is no way those columns are coming down permanently !

Thanks for all of the info on the history of the house.Please continue to share what you know, I find it all very interesting.

The plan is to still have it done before it's to late for ice cream . Wish me luck !

Yes, welcome! I've always liked the house you bought. I used to walk by it every day on the way to CC and always thought there must be a good story to it. Personally, I like the columns, if for no other reason that it makes the house jump out at you and wonder what the story is. All of the varied architecture and mish-mash of styles is what makes Heritage Hill great.

Joe

I think a fairly strong case could be made to remove the columns. They aren't an original historic item, but if one looks at the history of the home as a way to see different periods of time through the alterations of the house, then they should stay.

I just always thought the house was a little small for them, but I'm sure they can be made to look cool with the renovations.

Ice cream?! Ice cream?! I heard mention of ice cream!! :shok: mmmmmmmmm.... its never too late for ice cream!!! :whistling:

I like those pillars on the house. Kinda personalizes it. And says 'hey look at me'. :yahoo:

I don't know if I like the pillars but I don't like the house without them. it is exceptionally boring.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this has been mention before...

Cherry Hill Market seems to be going through some sort of renovation, well at least the western third of it.

Did they sell that part of the building to someone else?

Well, it took them quite awhile to complete this renovation, but it looks like they did a really nice job. And now, Cherry Hill has a brand new ice cream parlor.

2654548094_e82203bfa6_b.jpg

It's been busy inside and out every evening when I've wandered by.

2654548106_092ce8b69c_b.jpg

2654548128_c5d0df3c68_b.jpg

I believe it's owned and operated by the same people as Cherry Hill Market.

Well, it took them quite awhile to complete this renovation, but it looks like they did a really nice job. And now, Cherry Hill has a brand new ice cream parlor.

2654548094_e82203bfa6_b.jpg

It's been busy inside and out every evening when I've wandered by.

I believe it's owned and operated by the same people as Cherry Hill Market.

That looks pretty awesome! Interior shots? :) I noticed some people sitting outside this building tonight when my PedalGR(.com) ride went by, but I didn't notice the signage for the new ice cream parlor.

We'll definitely have to check it out. That place is just about the right distance for a longer walk with the dogs and the one time we had them by the Cherry Hill Market, they let us bring them just inside the door while I chose a beer and they had free doggie treats.

Edited by fotoman311

That looks pretty awesome! Interior shots?

Didn't you look at all of the photos? There was an interior shot. I love the ceiling in there.

I remember hearing this was coming sometime last year and then it never did. I had given up on it actually happening, so I was excited to see that it's open now.

Edited by amylynne