Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

Good eye! I wonder what space that is at the end? South Division somewhere?

It's probably Ruiter's studio, which is right down in that area on Weston or Oakes, just west of Division. I think Oakes. I know I've walked by it when he had one of his prototypes in the window.

OK, this building near the Cottage Bar had a bunch of windows put in on the South side, and then got a total new paint job. Looks pretty nice!

5511852145_48e936615b_z.jpg

Corporate office/studios for Design Design, Inc. They are a greeting card/stationary company, and growing strong from what I understand. They also have a distribution center in Wyoming. My wife dragged me to a big sale they had two years ago Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Okay this is not really a random building (I can't find any of the original threads), but what is going on with the rooftop levels at Union Square? On my way through last weekend I noticed that all of the red and black corrugated siding has been removed from the building (silver still remains). Does anyone know if it being replaced because someone has had a (very expensive) change of taste, or due to some sort of material failure (fading, improper water screening, etc)?

I noticed the same thing. Was the siding installed improperly? Looks like it's being replaced.

Joe

Okay this is not really a random building (I can't find any of the original threads), but what is going on with the rooftop levels at Union Square? On my way through last weekend I noticed that all of the red and black corrugated siding has been removed from the building (silver still remains). Does anyone know if it being replaced because someone has had a (very expensive) change of taste, or due to some sort of material failure (fading, improper water screening, etc)?

I noticed the same thing. Was the siding installed improperly? Looks like it's being replaced.

Joe

I happened to talk to a person that rents there and he told me that there are problems with the windows so they are being replaced. He said from what he was told that when it is all done it will look the same as it did before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A true, "Hey, what's that?" moment. Was scouting routes for Wednesday's PedalGR ride and spotted this large house on Dorroll Street that doesn't seem to fit in.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r50tjy7vwy71&lvl=19.825405078693812&dir=354.90040743634023&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Built in 1915; perhaps the first house on that quarter section. The neighborhood came in several decades later.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know what is going on at the "Lucky's" building on South Division (just South of Dodd's Records)? I noticed they were doing a lot of work on the bricks over the last month, and now they look like they're working on the facade. Seems like a lot of money to be sinking into the neighborhood liquor store.

Joe

Although small scale, this is a great sign for the market-rate residential industry downtown. A refreshing escape from expensive yuppie lofts and buildings that are income-restricted. Small apartment buildings, affordable enough to house a middle class single or couple, are what help create livable cities, and  we should commend small business owners like Mr. Chana for contributing to our city's growth, and encourage more to follow.