sparky05

Hey, what's that?

6 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

After they moved to Packard Ave, I was curious what was going on with the building. Looked into the records and it appears Valley City Linen bought it. I don't have high hopes that they will do anything cool with the property.

I actually saw this on an agenda recently, that Valley City Linen was expanding (or maybe making it a parking lot?). Didn't think it was worth posting. :P 

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I actually saw this on an agenda recently, that Valley City Linen was expanding (or maybe making it a parking lot?). Didn't think it was worth posting. :P 

From What I have read they are expanding more facility, not parking.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:10 AM, EastownLeo said:

From What I have read they are expanding more facility, not parking.

"Construction of approximately an 11,000 square foot building addition for added facilities to Valley City Linen. Structure will consist of concrete, structural steel, masonry and new landscaping. "

Three Misc. projects around town:

New Dollar Tree building on S. Division just south of Franklin. Boy, looks like Dollar Tree can actually put an effort into making their storefront not look like a bunker *hint* Dollar General *hint*. And it is actually built to the sidewalk! Wonder of wonders!

I actually really love Dollar Tree's stores as they are always clean, bright, have great products, and everything is actually 1 dollar. Too bad Uptown got stuck with the 2 crappy brands.

WP_20171004_16_58_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.869840ca18a545cf490f9e2f6740a3fe.jpg

This is the former fish restaurant by Leonard and Plainfeild  under renovation. No sign as to what is coming there.

WP_20171005_08_07_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.a81f1cc9720cc45781cb7df1bdfe82b2.jpg

And on the corner of Burton and Breton, a new building is going up. Looks to be a Rite Aide, because goodness knows GR is short on pharmacys.  Maybe they will shock us and have an entrance facing the street?

WP_20171006_09_24_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.9b4d551d7ef32b1eaa77912f0670981a.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This is the former fish restaurant by Leonard and Plainfeild  under renovation. No sign as to what is coming there.

Nobody asked but back when I was a kid in the fifties, this building was a Standard Oil gas station.  The reason it has a second floor is because the oil company had offices up there.  Across the street on the east side of Plainfield they had storage tanks for what I assume was probably heating oil.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walker said:

Nobody asked but back when I was a kid in the fifties, this building was a Standard Oil gas station.  The reason it has a second floor is because the oil company had offices up there.  Across the street on the east side of Plainfield they had storage tanks for what I assume was probably heating oil.   

That's interesting. My whole life, I thought it was some sort of train depot (somewhat logical conclusion in my mind with all of the rails close by). It wasn't until the started gutting it that I realized it was a gas station.

Joe

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I was super bummed when Peter's Camera Repair closed up shop. That place was a gem. Hopefully whatever goes in here will bring some life back to that corner.

38 minutes ago, mgreven said:

I feel like I heard it was a real estate office but I can’t seem to remember who...

616 Realty

20 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

616 Realty

Yep!  That's it!  I was almost gonna say that. Not to be confused with the other 616.

2 hours ago, mgreven said:

Yep!  That's it!  I was almost gonna say that. Not to be confused with the other 616.

Correct, they are currently on North Park by the North Park bridge north of Riverside Park

13 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Three Misc. projects around town:

New Dollar Tree building on S. Division just south of Franklin. Boy, looks like Dollar Tree can actually put an effort into making their storefront not look like a bunker *hint* Dollar General *hint*. And it is actually built to the sidewalk! Wonder of wonders!

I actually really love Dollar Tree's stores as they are always clean, bright, have great products, and everything is actually 1 dollar. Too bad Uptown got stuck with the 2 crappy brands.

WP_20171004_16_58_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.869840ca18a545cf490f9e2f6740a3fe.jpg

And on the corner of Burton and Breton, a new building is going up. Looks to be a Rite Aide, because goodness knows GR is short on pharmacys.  Maybe they will shock us and have an entrance facing the street?

WP_20171006_09_24_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.9b4d551d7ef32b1eaa77912f0670981a.jpg

The  Rite-Aid is part of the de-malling of Breton Village. It's not a new pharmacy, but the shifting of the existing one that once was inside the mall. Probably should try for a photo of the actual de-malling: they've ripped out a lot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wmrharris said:

The  Rite-Aid is part of the de-malling of Breton Village. It's not a new pharmacy, but the shifting of the existing one that once was inside the mall. Probably should try for a photo of the actual de-malling: they've ripped out a lot.

I would agree, the de-malling is quite something.  Has a very intimate feel to it (so far), kudos CWD.