Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

• 4 months later...

I know this is outside the normal subject of this thread, but it seemed like the most relevant place to ask.

Does anyone here know about a neighborhood grocery store previously located at Highland and Lafayette? I'm interested in finding any info, but especially any photos or published records relating to it. I think it was at the northwest corner of the intersection (1075 Lafayette Ave SW), since that's the only grocery store-looking building I can see on Historic Aerials --- it's been replaced in the present day by a small apartment building. The store was run by Salim "Sam" Sherman, and would have closed sometime around the 50's or 60's. I ask on behalf of a senior relative whose grandfather ran it.

Historic Aerials:

image.thumb.png.d9b0fe388b556d2e4c07a5f69d70fdc0.png

Kent County Parcel Viewer:

image.thumb.png.7e35bdf6c7dddac39ec9bf834bbadeab.png

I can find some reference to a grocer operating out of the address in a 1921 business directory, but not Sam. It lends credence to the address at least.

image.thumb.png.78d0e3e4a8d91d8068b987ed918db424.png

Edited by ZAP!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So there is this structure going up on the White Pine Trail near the ballpark...

20220528_164637-01.thumb.jpeg.d52604666c17afea4d06a26f73fb2683.jpeg

This is looking east at the corner of West River Dr. and Division in Comstock Park. It looks like some sort of platform(?) As I didnt get the impression that it is a proper building. I suppose it isnt part of any ballpark property, so I have no idea what it could be for. Orion looks to be the folks building it.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, Floyd_Z said:

Anyone know whats going on at the NW corner of Cherry/Lafayette?  If I had to guess i would say some kind of medical office....

On 11/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, kevin8gr said:

St. Mary's finally bought the property and torn down the building that was vacant for decades there.  Good bet that it will turn into parking for now. 

Amazingly...I dont think it is going to be a parking lot!

I just drove by and saw one of those event tents up for what looks to be some sort of ceremonial "first shovel" gatherings, and even I dont think St. Mary's will do that for a new lot.

Not saying whatever building is going up is going to look good (this is still St. Mary's), but it's  better than another one of their used car lots.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, grandrollerz said:

Props to the writer of the article for doing their homework. I heard many of these same rumors as a kid growing up on the North End.  Going to need a lot of work to bring it up to date.

Iconic Grand Rapids Home for Sale (mix957gr.com)

Just an update on the VanderJagt mansion at 2615 Plainfield.  As it turned out, the listing realtor bought it and restored it with the idea of making it a bed and breakfast or an event venue.  They've even got a website and a Facebook page:

thevanderjagt.com

facebook.com/thevanderjagt

My brother tells me they even had the neighborhood association hold their spring pancake breakfast there, and there was some pushback from the neighbors about noise and parking problems, and if they need some kind of variance to run a business there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone smarter than me know why they have to do this?!?!!

it looks so nice and natural when it is filled out and now it’s going to be mown short and die because its the hottest time off the year and it will end up looking 1000 times worse  

you want it to be natural landscaping then let it be, right?!

DCD2FFDC-FAAF-4125-B4A2-DF1E44278D75.jpeg

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

900 Fuller Ave NE (large old farm property) has a long fence around the property.

I do recall that there was some proposal for something education related there(?), but I cant turn up anything from searching.

Isn’t it a senior facility? Possibly Spectrum. 

Joe

Isn’t it a senior facility? Possibly Spectrum. 
Joe

New spectrum long term care faculty, replacing services currently being provided at the former Kent community hospital building on fuller.

The other site on leffingwell is close to done.

https://newsroom.spectrumhealth.org/spectrum-health-to-build-new-rehab-long-term-care-facilities/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I was on next door looking for someone to take abandoned baby raccoons (no luck) when i came across a thread about this project with an anecdote from a great nephew of the Baas family that owned the land.  Thread includes the usual next door takes. 

https://nextdoor.com/p/gG6WgBcGWK49/c/803993084?init_source=search&query=Spectrum farm

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, wingbert said:

Anyone know the story of the old apparently abandoned baseball field just north of the Meijer HQ in Walker?

Looks like little league field that's been abandoned for some time. Coincidentally, on an abandoned Michigan FB page, someone posted pictures of a whole baseball complex they found abandoned overgrown into small woods or meadows. Can't recall where it was. Somewhere north of here.

17 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Where is the I-96/I-96 split? 

lol good question. I didn't and still don't know what you would call that area. 

image.thumb.png.0816678f9c328691e459df36d0e7811f.pngv

Either way,  I found my asnwer with a little research. 

It's a 2.35-acre solar installation partnership between Spectrum Health ( or Corelife or whatever) and CMS energy. 

https://mibiz.com/sections/energy/consumers-spectrum-health-partnering-on-solar-array-to-help-power-gr-rehabilitation-facility

• Like 1