Hey, what's that (and other miscellanea)?

sparky05

I am curious about the building featured in this shot: CSA

Didn't Cutler Sports Apparel go out of business years ago? The sign above the door still has the CSA logo. I drive by here nearly every day and puzzle over this. It finally dawned on me to ask the UP crew. I see cars parked there and people going in and out and wonder what company is in this building and why don't they take that sign down?

The joys of old threads...

Pretty sure that building is part of the bakery business on the kitty-corner. Ride through at about 9 pm any evening, it smells wonderful.

The joys of old threads...

Pretty sure that building is part of the bakery business on the kitty-corner. Ride through at about 9 pm any evening, it smells wonderful.

It's probably Roskam or its spin-off, Hearthside Foods, that you smell. Roskam has been known to buy buildings and leave the old signs up. Mazda Great Lakes on 29th Street also is Roskam's building, despite the old Mazda signs being on the building.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the "WOW" team has moved over to Grandville Ave (creative agency that I can't remember the name).

330 Market is Kantor Wassink's new office. They've out grown the old place. Interesting that they moved from a gas station to a service garage.

• 2 months later...

I believe the house you're looking at is 439 Lyon Street NE, this one:

439%20Lyon%20NE-3.JPG

It looked rather different in the 1960's:

439%20Lyon%20NE-2.jpg

According to the Heritage Hill Association website (where the photos are from as well), it was built in 1867. The original owner was James G. Cloyes. There's more information on the Architectural Survey Card for those interested, which can be found on the Heritage Hill website.

According to tax assessing info, the house was foreclosed on in 2007. The current owner bought it in March of 2008 and lives in Belding. For whatever it's worth, she does not own any other property in Grand Rapids in her name (i.e. she's probably not a professional flipper).

Hope this is the right house. :)

I noticed today that this house will be on the Heritage Hill Historic Homes tour on October 3rd & 4th.

http://www.heritagehillweb.org/tour09_details.htm

439 Lyon NE - This circa 1867 home was one of the last built on this street, at one time the site of a cavalry camping grounds during and following the Civil War. This home

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So as you head West out of downtown on 196 and you approach that sharp left hander where you go over Valley and Garfield streets, up in the woods there are some faintly visible walls or something. I've always assumed they were the remains of a fancy cutback drive that went up the hill or something like that but I'm still always curious when I see them. They are always more visible in late fall or early spring when there is no snow and no leaves on the vegetation. You can kind of see them by zooming in after following this link:

http://www.bing.com/...0Rapids%2C%20MI

Anyone have any insight?

So as you head West out of downtown on 196 and you approach that sharp left hander where you go over Valley and Garfield streets, up in the woods there are some faintly visible walls or something. I've always assumed they were the remains of a fancy cutback drive that went up the hill or something like that but I'm still always curious when I see them. They are always more visible in late fall or early spring when there is no snow and no leaves on the vegetation. You can kind of see them by zooming in after following this link:

http://www.bing.com/...0Rapids%2C%20MI

Anyone have any insight?

This help?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=grand+rapids+mi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.038806,57.65625&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Grand+Rapids,+Kent,+Michigan&ll=42.970712,-85.701299&spn=0,359.955497&z=15&layer=c&cbll=42.970676,-85.701186&panoid=cx29xEFLliSVuMdZkrpMEw&cbp=12,339.29,,0,7.66

The Google car did not go through the arch and up the private drive.

HTH

Does anyone know what is going on with the old fish fry place on Wealthy (next to the Wild Bunch)? I saw a for sale sign a couple months ago and then it sold. Anyone have the scoop?

Joe

I feel like I heard something about a home furnishings place, but I can't remember where. Glad you asked - I was wondering, too - hopefully someone knows more.

Bummer. Thanks for the info - next time you're required to bring GOOD news. =)

Yeah, I know. Retail starts are soooo tough right now. This is like the 5th or 6th idea that has died for Wealthy St in the last year or so due to a variety of reasons. Still, there are plenty of opportunities for a creative entrepreneur!

I had a "hey, what's that?" moment at the Michigan Bicycle Summit on Saturday in Lansing. Gould Engineering was there to showcase some of their bike projects, but also had a display with their other projects. I had no idea that people build private water skiing lakes or at the water ski lake developments exist. I was really surprised to find out that one of the largest in the world (at least that's what the guy told us) is located in Allendale: Placid Waters

I had a "hey, what's that?" moment at the Michigan Bicycle Summit on Saturday in Lansing. Gould Engineering was there to showcase some of their bike projects, but also had a display with their other projects. I had no idea that people build private water skiing lakes or at the water ski lake developments exist. I was really surprised to find out that one of the largest in the world (at least that's what the guy told us) is located in Allendale: Placid Waters

Does that development actually exist (completed)?

I know that's a sidebar to your post, but I was just wondering.

THeir web page screams "my bright idea that never got funded."

A bit of internet searching...there are event schedules on a couple of waterboarding sites, some realty listings, and a couple of crazed bloggers. This one suggests that the site design and intent have changed a bit from the original proposal.

Also a Facebook page with what could be an updated aerial.

(Insert editorial comment about overuse of exclamation points!!!!!)

Hey, a lunch & learn opportunity! This would be awesome!!

Edited by Veloise

A bit of internet searching...there are event schedules on a couple of waterboarding sites, some realty listings, and a couple of crazed bloggers. This one suggests that the site design and intent have changed a bit from the original proposal.

Also a Facebook page with what could be an updated aerial.

(Insert editorial comment about overuse of exclamation points!!!!!)

Hey, a lunch & learn opportunity! This would be awesome!!

What? Standing in dirt and mud and looking at man-made gravel pit lakes? Woohoo.

Actually, that might be kind of awesome...