CATA wins national honors

RustTown

This is what I'm talking about! Hopefully, this bolsters those whispers about possible light rail down Michigan Avenue that keep getting rumored about.

Link

The Capital Area Transportation Authority was named the best transit system of its size in North America by the American Public Transportation Association, the highest industry honor.

CATA was ranked first in the 4 million to 30 million passenger trips category, which includes 106 transit systems.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
This is what I'm talking about! Hopefully, this bolsters those whispers about possible light rail down Michigan Avenue that keep getting rumored about.

Link

The Capital Area Transportation Authority was named the best transit system of its size in North America by the American Public Transportation Association, the highest industry honor.

CATA was ranked first in the 4 million to 30 million passenger trips category, which includes 106 transit systems.

I personally think they are trying to scare the public, and think that if they really believed they needed the money now, that they'd have prepared a much better sell to the public than they did. They sprang this at what seemed to be the 11th hour and asked everyone to simply trust them. That's not enough, and I'm really kind of disappointed in how poorly they did in preparing the millage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Lansingites . . . . sorry for posting this here, but I did not see a dedicated transit topic for Lansing/State Government transit issues.

However, READ IT AND TAKE HEED . . . . the Legislators in the big dome in downtown Lansing need to get on this since it will affect EVERY city in Michigan's ability to implement fixed-guideway mass transit systems in their futures AND eventually to be able to knit the entire state together with transit rail.

"Grand Rapids: Gateway to Michigan's Transit Success"

Feds won't support Detroit's Woodward Lightrail nor Detroit/Ann Arbor Commuter Rail unless State matches Federal funds for Grand Rapids BRT system

By Andy Guy

Great Lakes Bulletin News Service

DIRECT LINK TO STORY AT MICHIGAN LAND USE INSTITUTE ONLINE

I wish GR the best in their efforts for BRT, but what about everyone else? Who are the feds to make demands like that? Detroit is a metro area of over 6 million, with no subway, light rail or BRT, which makes it much more in need of a system like that than GR. CATA's route 1 has over 1 million riders per year itself, I think thats deserving of some funds...

Anyways, my point is basically that Detroit is in immediate need of a better transit system. For the rest of the state, it's not really that neccessary, more of a luxury.

I wish GR the best in their efforts for BRT, but what about everyone else? Who are the feds to make demands like that? Detroit is a metro area of over 6 million, with no subway, light rail or BRT, which makes it much more in need of a system like that than GR. CATA's route 1 has over 1 million riders per year itself, I think thats deserving of some funds...

Anyways, my point is basically that Detroit is in immediate need of a better transit system. For the rest of the state, it's not really that neccessary, more of a luxury.

Archived