Holiday Inn

tnse

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be great to see a modern Holiday Inn be located in the downtown area. It would harken back to the historic links the company and brand had to the city and be a great asset to the downtown hotel market.

Great find by the way. That was a really interesting article and I found it interesting to learn that so many exterior entrance Holiday Inns were still in operation as I don't see many of them around in that fashion anymore. I don't really have an issue with those types of facities and they seem pretty common in many of our state's towns and tourist areas (esp. Gatlinburg), albeit few seem to be Holiday Inns.

Off-topic Sidenote for WTN - Union City is supposed to be getting a Holiday Inn Express, which along with one already in Dyersburg will be the only ones I know of in WTN outside of Shelby County. Jackson has a regular full service higher end facility that is not an Express on Carriage Drive.

A little historical trivia--

In the early fifties, my mother was the secretary to Wallace E. Johnson who was one of the co-founders/partners/backers along with Kemmons Wilson of Holiday Inns. She took down the articles of incorporation/partnership of Holiday Inns in shorthand, typed them up and sent them off to Nashville for registration.

Too bad they didn't give her a few shares as a bonus.

^ Could be. Lets hope they are still going ahead with their plans and this development does not nix it.

There are some great open lots available in some parts of downtown that could house a new project like that, if they are ambitious and bold enough to locate on the edge of the current active areas. If they were REALLY bold they might move south of the FedEx Forum. That sort of location would be risky, but could prompt a lot of development to follow it that could over the long term benefit them. I doubt that actually happens with a big name venture anytime soon though, but it would be cool to see a big name business take that sort of risk.

^ Could be. Lets hope they are still going ahead with their plans and this development does not nix it.

There are some great open lots available in some parts of downtown that could house a new project like that, if they are ambitious and bold enough to locate on the edge of the current active areas. If they were REALLY bold they might move south of the FedEx Forum. That sort of location would be risky, but could prompt a lot of development to follow it that could over the long term benefit them. I doubt that actually happens with a big name venture anytime soon though, but it would be cool to see a big name business take that sort of risk.

So what are the current hotel projects downtown?

* Courtyard

* Holiday Inn

* Tonoke Building (if it isn't the Holiday Inn)

* The Grade Hotel (boutique hotel that will be at the cluster of three buildings on front where Prince Mongo's place was)

* Peabody Expansion (the MBJ and CA both mention this in articles on downtown hotels, but it still is pretty vague)

* Embassy Suites

* Hyatt at One Beale

* Chisca Plaza

any others? It seems kinda mid-range...granted, even the mid-range brands are going for $150+ downtown...I'd like to see more upscale projects. I wonder if the Kimpton and that off-shoot of the W are still going to be built at other locations downtown. putting it on a list makes it seem like a ton of hotel rooms are about to hit the market.

Archived