Possible Washington Street Post Office Relocation?

btoy

The following is the text of an add that will be running in the Greenville News.

SOLICITATION FOR OFFERS - SITE OR BUILDING TO PURCHASE

The United States Postal Service (USPS) seeks to purchase a site or building for a postal

owned Processing and Distribution Facility for the Greenville SC metro area.

Within 20 miles radius of the existing Greenville PDC at 600 West Washington Street.

VACANT LAND: The desired site size is between 20 acres and 30 acres, net useable. Site

must have established access within 5 miles of local interstates, with all utilities currently available.

EXISTING BUILDINGS: Existing single-story, modern, one story distribution facilities

between 250,000 SF to 350,000 SF, minimum 24' clear interior height, with a preference

for a 3/2 length to width ratio. Also desirable: 45 truck dock positions; 90 trailer parking;

500 parking spaces; bay sizes 50'x50', or larger.

Contact the USPS Buyer-Broker to submit an offer. Offers should be received by close of

business July 26, 2007. Offerors must own or control the site. Offers submitted by an

agent must include evidence of exclusive authority to offer the property for sale.

Marcus M. Cornelius IV or

Todd E. Younghans, SIOR

Coppedge & Tison

a Cushman & Wakefield Alliance member

75 Beattie Place, Suite 905

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Postal facilities have historically been located near train depots, because train was the quickest way to send mail long distances at a time. The innovations in automobiles and aerocrafts shifted delivery through other quicker means.

The PDF has outgrown its current facilities, including some annexes, and the goal is to move them into one facility.

Nothing yet has been made about the main post office functions, which have also outgrown their spaces. An enlarged or relocated facility in the immediate downtown with more PO boxes deserves consideration.

I dont know Greenville post office operations, but if its anything like the location in downtown Spartanburg is for the 293xx ZIPs, then its the central facillity for the 296xx ZIPs.

I heard sometime earlier this year that the Post office was going to be moved. I'm sure I posted it here. I heard it from an employee. They didn't say where, though.

I'd say this is a good sign that this is going to happen.

Greenville Post Office receives most or all of the upstate mail, then sorts it and sends it out to the various other places to be sorted again and whatnot. I know someone who works in Cowpens. The mail comes to Greenville, it's sorted, then it goes to Cowpens, but maybe even another place before that. I'm sure the same is true for Spartanburg's mail, and probably Anderson's, Pickens', Laurens' and Oconee's. It's certainly understandable that they would need more room. While they may be looking in a large area (possibly outside of downtown due to the size required), a downtown post office is still definitely necessary. I'd hate to see them take up a huge amount of space for a sprawling sort of campus in downtown, though I think there are ways to make it appropriate and utilize the land well. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Now that mail sorting and delivery operations have moved out of the USPS facility o West Washington Street, ClearTalk Wireless has purchased the property at 570 W. Washington St., across North Hudson Street from the downtown Post Office and next door to Webb Settles Mortuary. ClearTalk plans to redevelop the property into a retail center with back-room support, customer care and administration. The site would include a communication antenna system disguised as an 85-foot flagpole topped by an American Flag. (Assuming that the flag would fly 24 hours a day, I wonder whether the company would follow established traditions concerning suitable lighting.)

Here is a link to the Zoning Board application: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2011/AUGUST/BoardofZoningAppeals/08-19-2010/S-11-166-570WestWashingtonStreet.pdf

Archived