How much is gas in your city?

I was wondering....how much is gas in different cities?

The average price in metro Detroit is $2.08, which is exactly what I paid this afternoon. The price shot up $.20 over night. I wasn't exactly planning to pay that much, but when you're car is almost out of gas, you haven't got much choice. LOL.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am all for high gas prices- it encourages more environmentally responsible behavior. The US has always had a much lower price in relation to the rest of the world and one can wonder if this is part of the reason that Europe has such wonderful public transit and walkable cities.

I do feel for the economically depressed that this affects the most but for a middle class driver with an SUV that commutes 50 miles a day I do not feel the slightest bit of sympathy.

Luckily I only gas up once every two weeks: fuel efficient car and I don't use it much.

Oh, and to answer the question: $2.00 here in Detroit- it is all over the news!

d.

The problem with high gas prices is not so much in the cities where there are alternate forms of transportation, but in rural areas. In SC there are alot of rural areas and people in these areas tend to be poor, so high gas prices can be devastating to them, and their budgets. Not to mention that they have to drive much furth to get gas and to do everything.

have you guys every been to:

http://www.gasbuddy.com

It helps you find cheap gas.

Guest donaltopablo

It's about time on the SUVs. I definitely don't feel bad when I hear SUV owners who drive long distances to work complain about gas prices, LOL.

Here's the latest:

1. California: $2.25 3/20.

2. Nevada: $2.21 6/10.

3. Oregon: $2.20 4/10.

4. Hawaii: $2.19 6/10.

5. Washington state: $2.16 8/10.

6. Arizona: $2.10 4/10.

Every one of those figures is a new record high, as is the case in Wisconsin, New York, Idaho and Alaska, whose average prices also cracked $2 a gallon Tuesday. Judging from what has happened in the past in Hawaii and California, public pressure on the government to do something can be expected to increase now that several more states have seen the $2 barrier broken.

San Francisco: $2.30 a gallon :o

Haha. I guess that price is no longer so outrageous. We haven't broken any records yet...last year the average price in Detroit was $2.10, and we're currently at $2.08. At least I think it was last year...it may have been two years ago.

In '81 the price of gasoline peaked around $1.45/gallon for regular.  Now adjusted for inflation, that would be $3.15/gallon today.  So most of us still have a ways to go before we are back to those prices. 

In terms of purchasing power though, that's assuming wages have kept up with inflation which I don't believe they have.

Putting a dollar in a VW Beetle in the 60's and getting 3 gallons for it, still seems cheaper to me than putting six dollars in today.

Here in my town, as of 5/21/04, low discount stations run $1.85/1.95/2.05, the higher average stations are $1.95/$2.05/$2.15 now.

Usually Atlanta and Memphis has the cheapest gas prices in this region - I'm not sure why Atlanta does, but Memphis has an oil refinery just several miles south of downtown.

Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta/Georgia do because we have the second lowest gas tax in the country.

It's definitely getting more expensive, cheapest I've seen around here was 1.79 for regular at Costco.

Archived