minimum wages

andyfried

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think all politicians should be required to live off of minimum wages before they can take office.Then maybe they would understand how incensitive they really are towards the plight of the poor man in America.What do you think?

As long as there is power to be had, people would still run for office. People run for city council positions even though the pay is essentially nothing. Most people in Congress are independently wealthy before they run anyway, it is the only way they can afford a campaign.

If you are healthy and over 25 but still making minimum wage, it's you're own fault. I think it should keep up with wages, however if that's the best you ever do then you aren't working hard enough. Even if you work at McDonalds you should at the very least become a manager in just a few years. All it takes is a little hard work.

That number is the national number from the BLS.

No, poor people are not needed in government; the supposed advocates are obnoxious enough.

Democracy in this country works too well, economically stupid policies are all about us. I propose we do the opposite of what the original poster wants us to do, we should have: 1) economics tests that every voter must past, 2) literacy tests, 3) we should not encourage people to vote, and 4) we should give more votes to people who pay more tax; say I'm in tax bracket 4, I get 4 votes.

No, poor people are not needed in government; the supposed advocates are obnoxious enough.

Democracy in this country works too well, economically stupid policies are all about us. I propose we do the opposite of what the original poster wants us to do, we should have: 1) economics tests that every voter must past, 2) literacy tests, 3) we should not encourage people to vote, and 4) we should give more votes to people who pay more tax; say I'm in tax bracket 4, I get 4 votes.

You have special circumstances, that's different. Most people on minimum wage are not disabled. If you are really disabled, I think the government is responsible for making your life comfortable. I'm talking about the able bodied and able minded. Please don't assume my intentions.

Actually this is what we do have today and they really don't give a damn about people who do have to work for the minimum wages except that it puts more money in their own pockets. Instead of a minimum wage, I think they should hit the other end. If they raised the tax rate to 90% for people making more than $1 million/year it would solve the need to have a minimum wage.

You have special circumstances, that's different. Most people on minimum wage are not disabled. If you are really disabled, I think the government is responsible for making your life comfortable. I'm talking about the able bodied and able minded. Please don't assume my intentions.

I do not believe the economic theories that say paying a high minimum wage creates disincentive and takes money out of "the system" to create fewer jobs.

The minimum wage should be $10/hr in the year 2007. Period.

This isn't about the 2% of people actually making $5.25 an hour or whatever the current rate is. Its about the tens of millions who make $6, 7, 8/hr in the year 2007.

I do not believe the economic theories that say paying a high minimum wage creates disincentive and takes money out of "the system" to create fewer jobs.

The minimum wage should be $10/hr in the year 2007. Period.

This isn't about the 2% of people actually making $5.25 an hour or whatever the current rate is. Its about the tens of millions who make $6, 7, 8/hr in the year 2007.

Archived