Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cloudship

Smart Cars

21 posts in this topic

According to Smart's Website, the Street Smart road show is supposed to be in town today and tomorrow (Friday, July 20th and Satuday, July 21st) from 12-7 at Stillman and Exchange street. They are giving out demo drives of the Smart Car. If you don't know what this is, it's one of the micro cars - looks like an overgrown golf cart. It has it's good and bad points, but an interesting idea to bring to the US.

I just drove one, it was fun!

PS: The location is the massive surface lots behind the Citizens Building.

I just drove one, it was fun!

PS: The location is the massive surface lots behind the Citizens Building.

Liam, they'll be there tomorrow noon to 5pm I think they said.

Swatch dropped out of it years ago before the first one was even built. Mercedes decided to go ahead and introduce it to Europe and Asia.

As much as I dig the way the Smart Cars look - I have very little hope in this working. The problem isn't so much in bringing a micro car to the US, but rather that the Smart has not been a successful micro car in countries where they are much better accepted than here. I would have much rathered if the first micro in the US was from a major japanese mfg. Hopefully Daimler can move a good number of these on novelty alone.

You would think they'd be very popular in places like Boston or New York, where parking is really in short supply. And even here in little Providence, with some of our tight colonial streets, not to mention the stupid parking ban, there might be a market for a vehicle like this.

I want one. I'm a happily unmarried man, what the hell do I need a backseat for?

I didnt get a chance to drive one today, but my wife did. She was not impressed. General thoughts were that the handling was nothing special and the transmission seemed slushy and unresponsive. All they had on hand were automatics, so maybe a manual would be better.

I am glad to hear someone else thought that. We have a golf cart, and they are both about the same size. The Golf Cart seemed to have more power and quicker response time, but lacked the transmission. If it ran more like a normal car - had the power and get up and go, it would actually be fun, but in some ways it was like a downgraded Yaris. But I am a big guy, so that may have affected it. Oh, they were tiptronic style transmissions, btw. They just tell you to run them in auto mode.

It will be interesting to see how they do. I will say it's nice to have something so short and narrow maneuvering down the street, and the sitting position is quite upright and you can see everywhere. The one I road in had the sky roof - that is so sweet! It's like being able to see through the whole roof! But I am not sure they are much of an improvement over something like a Yaris or a Mini except for the parking. And what will they do about that, anyway? Will they let them park head in in parallel spots? Will you be able to park two to a meter?

Her normal car is a (first gen) Scion Xb which certainly is no speed demon, but she felt it was a lot more responsive than the Smart. She used the tiptronic in manual mode, but found it to have a lot of lag between input and actual shifts. Sarah and I are both very manual transmission biased, so maybe someone who is used to an automatic wouldnt have as much of a complaint with it.

What I would love is a car the size of a smart that is under 15k and is a plug in electric with a reasonable range (say at least 100 miles)

it was like a downgraded Yaris.

buy a base model used mini cooper. No need to be stuck in a rolling penalty box. Even the Cooper S gets 34 mpg.

OK, and upgraded Yaris? No, don't think so.

Actually, I found the Smart a little more comfortable than a Mini - you sit more upright, not so much on the floor. Agreed you don't have the back seat space, though. Or the width.