Movie Production in Baton Rouge

drew6974

Thanks for posting this drew :thumbsup: We needed a special thread for this. There have also been several independent movies being made across the city too that tend to get little publicity.

Hopefully Celtic Media Center will open for business soon, they have been working there(I had an updated construction pic posted many months back).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Film group sets up shop in B.R., plans seven movies

Global Universal Film Group says it has set up offices in Baton Rouge and plans to shoot seven films in the state, including an original screenplay from actor Sean Patrick Flanery, a Lake Charles native. Global Universal says it has $100 million in financing, along with $22 million in tax credits from the Louisiana Department of Economic Development. Jackelyn Giroux, CEO of Global Universal, says the group is negotiating a distribution deal for the movies. The first titles announced are Flanery's Sunshine Superman and an original screenplay by Giroux The Rolling Papers.

Blanco releases Studio City bonds.

From the Daily Report

Blanco releases Studio City bonds

Gov. Kathleen Blanco has issued the allocation letter for $250 million in GO Zone bonds for Studio City Louisiana. The 925,000-square-foot complex, which is expected to cost $495 million, will be located on U.S. 190 near Port Allen.

This is going to be huge for the Baton Rouge area. This is going to be the largest studio east of the Mississippi River.

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/sto...k-2963317.shtml

Edited by drew6974

Blanco releases Studio City bonds.

From the Daily Report

Blanco releases Studio City bonds

Gov. Kathleen Blanco has issued the allocation letter for $250 million in GO Zone bonds for Studio City Louisiana. The 925,000-square-foot complex, which is expected to cost $495 million, will be located on U.S. 190 near Port Allen.

This is going to be huge for the Baton Rouge area. This is going to be the largest studio east of the Mississippi River.

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/sto...k-2963317.shtml

east of the Mississippi River? :whistling:

• 1 month later...

"Cuba Gooding Jr. is set to star in The Way of War an action thriller that is shooting in Baton Rouge. Gooding, who won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Jerry Maguire, will play a paramilitary operative who goes on a rampage after discovering a conspiracy to start a war, according to The Hollywood Reporter"

• 1 month later...

Hmm, this movie stuff looks like it's really about to take-off :shades: These condo's are not far from the Celtic Media Centre; and quick drive to the huge proposed LaVie studios.

Production company pays $3.45 million for condos

Here's another sign of the health of the local movie industry. Production company Upload Media bought 29 units in the Jeffersonian Condominiums for $3.45 million. Greg Walker of Upload says the company will put crews in the Jefferson Highway condos while they're shooting movies in Baton Rouge. The deal makes sense, Walker says, because of the hotel bills Upload was running up. "We've got movies booked into the next year," he says. Upload was involved with The Way of War, a locally filmed movie starring Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. --Timothy Boone

Business Report

You know what I would do?

I would buy some crap piece of land that no one wants or buy into a new but failed development, then apply for those movie tax incentives and claim some ritzy and fancy studio will be built there.

Then I'd sell the incentives to a Louisiana company and sell my land.

Oh wait. I was apparently not the first person to think of this. In fact, I wasn't even the 100th person to think of this.

This Blanco idea seemed logical at first, but it's just a way to hand out money to her cronies.

• 3 months later...

Three feature films shooting in Baton Rouge this week.

Three feature film productions are shooting in Baton Rouge this week, according to the Baton Rouge Film Commission.

"The Open Road," starring Justin Timberlake and Jeff Bridges, is about the relationship between a young man and his estranged father, a baseball legend. Universal Pictures' "Cirque du Freak," starring Salma Hayek and John C. Reilly, is an action adventure directed by Paul Weitz ("American Pie," "About a Boy"). And Mike Epps "Comedy Mixtape, Vol. 1" is currently in production at the Celtic Media Centre.

Post-production is in progress on a number of projects that recently shot in Baton Rouge, including "The Abduction of Jesse Bookman" and "Middle of Nowhere.

Looks like things are really starting to pick up at the Celtic Media Center.

</SPAN>

Nice to see things picking up at the Celtic Media Center. Impressive that Louisiana ranks 3rd in the U.S. in film production behind only California and New York!

Wonder what type of development may follow the area adjacent to Celtic Media Center; at the Coca-Cola-plant and the site of the demolished Plantation Inn?? Great location at I-12/Airline Hwy.

Nice to see things picking up at the Celtic Media Center. Impressive that Louisiana ranks 3rd in the U.S. in film production behind only California and New York!

Wonder what type of development may follow the area adjacent to Celtic Media Center; at the Coca-Cola-plant and the site of the demolished Plantation Inn?? Great location at I-12/Airline Hwy.

They're going to build a shopping center on the hotel site, remember?

• 8 months later...

I was wondering what all the activity was at the Perkins/Acadian shopping center?!? The parking lot was filled up!

Movie titled "Burning Palms" filming in Baton Rouge

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Baton Rouge is a tax-enhanced movie location these days, and there's actually another film crew at work right now.

You may not have noticed, but a crew is filming on Perkins Road near Acadian Thruway. Over at the Caterie Bar and Grill near Juban's, crews filming part of a movie titled Burning Palms.

It's a comedy-drama starring former 90210's Shannen Doherty. Other big names starring in the film include actors Nick Stahl and Dylan McDermott.

The movie interlaces five stories set in Los Angeles. Only one of the five pieces of the film is being shot in Baton Rouge.

The film is scheduled to be released in 2009.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9379068

• 8 months later...

Sci-fi flick to be filmed in B.R.

Battle: Los Angeles, a science-fiction action film by Columbia Pictures and starring Aaron Eckhart, will begin filming in Baton Rouge this fall, Mayor Kip Holden and the studio announced today. The production is expected to result in $25 million in direct local spending and will be based at the Celtic Media Centre. Parts of the film will be shot throughout the state. The production will benefit from the state

• 2 months later...

I saw them filming one of the movies! I was going down Acadian on my way to school and saw the old Walmart lot covered with tents and vans. I saw a van labeled "Hollywood Trucks" and a catering tent so I assume that was what must have been going on over there. It's so exciting to finally have a decent number of films filming in Baton Rouge. This recession needs to get to steppin' so we can go ahead and build all those planned filming complexes and really be "Hollywood South".

This is pretty cool...any freeway scenes with the skyline in the background will have to be digitally enhanced :rolleyes: No way is little BR going to pass for Big Los Angeles!

I-110 ramps, City Park area closed for 'Battle: Los Angeles'

As filming for Battle: Los Angeles continues across the city, several Interstate 110 ramps will be closed for filming this week, along with streets around City Park and the Plank Road-Choctaw Drive intersection. Film crews will be shooting underneath I-110 between Laurel and North streets for 12 hours Wednesday night. This will result in the closure of the Main Street entrance ramp onto I-110 north from 6 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday, and the North Street and Laurel Street exit ramps from 8 p.m. Wednesday to 6 a.m. Thursday. Filming at Plank and Choctaw will close parts of Monroe Avenue, Hiawatha Street and Tecumseh Street from 5 p.m. Wednesday to 7 a.m. Thursday. Sections of East Lakeshore Drive between the City Park Golf Course and City Park Lake and from Robert Street to the lake will be closed from 10 a.m. Thursday to 9 a.m. Saturday

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/